• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

First mouth back at work it's 50/50

JaffaCake

Hey guys.

Could do with some opinions. This is not about being sad or unhappy.

I've just started working part time for a small cleaning company, this allows me to work mostly on my own floor and listen to music (stops the Anxiety) But after 2 years of being unemployed after a burn out I just can't focus on talking to people anymore (like too be alone)

The job has a total of 5 people that I've not told about my AS, but I'm starting to struggle holding the crazy in as they have caught me doing things when deep in thought or overwhelmed. Also finding it difficult to talk to people.
Would you just come clean about AS and tell them why you're acting strange or just wait and see what happens?

Hey guys.

Could do with some opinions. This is not about being sad or unhappy.

I've just started working part time for a small cleaning company, this allows me to work mostly on my own floor and listen to music (stops the Anxiety) But after 2 years of being unemployed after a burn out I just can't focus on talking to people anymore (like too be alone)

The job has a total of 5 people that I've not told about my AS, but I'm starting to struggle holding the crazy in as they have caught me doing things when deep in thought or overwhelmed. Also finding it difficult to talk to people.
Would you just come clean about AS and tell them why you're acting strange or just wait and see what happens?

If you tell a NT about your AS, most of the time they can not or will not understand.

Have to agree with clg114. Is there someplace private you can go to? Maybe you can tell them a close relative died or something and you are grieving. That might cover you while you look for ways to 'adapt'. Grief is easier for people to understand, although in this case it would be a lie. I guess the trick is to explain yourself in terms they can relate to. If you are really bold, you could drop a line about your time in the state pen (joke).

Basic policy I've posted many times here about such a scenario.

"Need-to-know" basis only. They don't clearly need to know who and what you are unless there are legal reasons for doing so.

The odds of a favorable outcome in telling NTs such a thing are inherently poor, IMO.

New Threads

Top Bottom