• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding a school for Faraday..

Aren’t speech therapists pretty much required by most states special education rules?

You can get the rules for each state online:
States With Specific Autism Mandates

They say that ABA therapy is very helpful. But many times it is 1 on 1 therapy and therefore pricey.
Any school districts that can provide say 20-30 hours a week of this?

One problem with ABA is it forces children to act normal without addressing the cause of their behavior. Imagine you were a 5 year old girl who thought the world was a bad place or you were depressed or felt safer not talking and your parents sent someone to try to force you to talk and act normal without addressing how you felt. If she's capable of talking, then her lack of speech isn't genetic. There is a reason she's not talking. People act based on their feelings and their feelings are influenced by their beliefs. Forcing ABA on her might make her think you don't care how she feels, that you just want her to act normal to make your lives easier, and she might learn she needs to pretend she's someone she's not to get people to accept her. Some people who go through ABA learn to pass as normal but feel empty inside and suffer from life-long anxiety trying to keep up the act to avoid people finding out they're different and never really feel connected to anyone since they're not being themselves. I think it can be helpful if you pay attention to how she feels and try to figure out how she thinks and what she may be misunderstanding when her feelings or behavior are abnormal.

Autistic traits tend to run in families so if you have autistic traits and don't understand emotions well, you'll want to work on that (I have a post in my blog on alexithymia that should help) because children whose emotional needs aren't met end up suffering from something called childhood emotional neglect which is often unintentional and makes social difficulties worse.

As for Faraday, she always gives the impression of almost being there. She seems close to breaking through. It makes me think if I could find her a lot of hours of good intense therapy for a while we could get her jump started.

Anxiety is common in autism and may be a factor. She might want to talk but be afraid you'll judge her if she talks or says something wrong. If she sensed disapproval, disappointment, or frustration when she did something odd, she may feel like she's different and that you don't approve of her being different. That can cause her to not want to talk. Regardless of why she's not talking, emotions are extremely important in autism and misunderstandings are very common. It's important she feels accepted and that it's safe to be herself.

Faraday is not meek. Do not get between her and her fun. I get the impression that she does not care too much what my thoughts are about her. Headstrong. She likes chocky, schwidding, mooies (old musicals), dressing up like a princess, ipad, etc.

I dont think Faraday knows any thing is wrong with her. She is just fine, thankyou very much. And she likes looking at her beautiful self in the mirror a lot.

Aren’t speech therapists pretty much required by most states special education rules?

They say that ABA therapy is very helpful. But many times it is 1 on 1 therapy and therefore pricey.
Any school districts that can provide say 20-30 hours a week of this?

As for Faraday, she always gives the impression of almost being there. She seems close to breaking through. It makes me think if I could find her a lot of hours of good intense therapy for a while we could get her jump started.

You are going to have to check with whatever schools you are considering to see what all they provide. My teachers helped with coaching to a degree. But the speech therapy and occupational therapy I received was separate. Like getting piano lessons is separate.

Poppy was non-verbal and diagnosed with severe Autism at the age of two.
Her mothers Youtube channel documenting Poppy's journey might be of some use to you:

Poppy's World Youtube Channel
These videos of my beautiful daughter Poppy show how much progress she has made due to early intervention. If you've followed our journey through our videos, I hope they have given you hope and courage to keep strong and put in all the hard work because the results are so worth it and I'm sure Poppy is only going to make more progress and flourish with time. The videos are also to help other parents see the signs in Poppy that may be familiar to their own child.

@groundhogy , are you in the USA?

Every school that my children have attended has had speech & occupational therapists on their staff.

Also, see Autlanders, Thriving Outside of the Box: Finding Support Resources in the USA...

full
(Faraday is an interesting name...)

New Threads

Top Bottom