• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fiction and Abilify

I did a web search with the names of the drugs and the name of the side effect.

https://www.abilify.com/ - it is listed there as a side effect (the third one listed)

Is TARDIVE DYSKINESIA a side effect of FOCALIN XR ? ( FactMed.com ) - this shows more than a tenfold increase of the probability of suffering that particular side effect over the average for all drugs

Focalin Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com - this lists twitching, muscle spasms, and dyskinesia as possible side effects but didn't specify tardive dyskinesia

I can't even understand why adults would willingly take those. I truly have no idea why parents would inflict them on their children. It seems unethical to me for the FDA to have approved them for young children.

I can't even understand why adults would willingly take those. I truly have no idea why parents would inflict them on their children. It seems unethical to me for the FDA to have approved them for young children.
"Willingly" is the key. Adults aren't always left a choice, presented with safer alternatives, or see their opinion respected when they beg to differ. It's also quite natural, especially when your mind is weaker than usual, to trust the judgment of the doctor who prescribed it. They're supposed to know what's best, right?

I do wonder, however, what happens during clinical trials when side effects are studied: are they just listed and computed into statistics? Or is there also a study on the impact of side effects on a patient's life?

As for giving them to kids... I don't know. For some parents, anything is worth trying for the sake of "normalcy", nevermind if it's harmful. It must take a lot of fear to make such choices.

I need some help from y'all, please. This is an older thread but it seems logical to continue it for my question. I'd like to know if anyone here, who has been diagnosed with tardive dyskensia caused by anti-psychotic drugs like Abilify, has recovered from TD or has taken additional drugs or treatments to "cure" TD that actually worked. Does anyone have any experience or advice about what to do to help a victim of drug-induced TD?

I'm so alarmed by my ASD nephew's development of this terrible disorder and a $36,000 treatment (witchcraft eye of newt and wing of bat?) offered at Ochsner's Medical Center in New Orleans that his mother is trying to secure for him if she can afford it, that I may have to get involved to help him. Her judgment is very poor and I'm so scared for him. It's awful for him and my heart breaks because I love him and it was so unnecessary to put him on psychotropic drugs to begin with.

Can you please help me?

New Threads

Top Bottom