• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feeling like harming myself.

Hugs. No job is as important as your physical or mental health.
It took me so long to realize this. I burnt myself out at my first full-time job, at least once I moved in with my fiance. My time an energy was spent on masking so much, but not even at the end; I cared not if I was personable. I was out of my home too much, and spending brain-power on being a cog in a machine.

OK, now I feel like crying.

Sometimes, the bus that takes me from downtown shows up way late to pick me up, leaving me at the office ten to fifteen minutes after my shift starts. I just got talked to and told that was a problem. Now I have to catch an earlier bus to make sure I am at the office every day on time.

I need a new job ASAP. But I have been told that since both Microsoft and Amazon have laid thousands of people off in the last month, those thousands of people will be going after exactly the same jobs I will be going after. This seems kinda hopeless at this point.

OK, now I feel like crying.

Sometimes, the bus that takes me from downtown shows up way late to pick me up, leaving me at the office ten to fifteen minutes after my shift starts. I just got talked to and told that was a problem. Now I have to catch an earlier bus to make sure I am at the office every day on time.

I need a new job ASAP. But I have been told that since both Microsoft and Amazon have laid thousands of people off in the last month, those thousands of people will be going after exactly the same jobs I will be going after. This seems kinda hopeless at this point.
Yeah. You may have to be a bit patient about that new gig. Inflation is still running around six percent, and that's still ominous to many of the more influential players in the economy apart from the Federal Reserve.

Last edited:
Yeah. You may have to be a bit patient about that new gig. Inflation is still running around six percent, and that's still ominous to many of the more influential players in the economy apart from the Federal Reserve.
With so many people telling me not to quit my current job until I find a new one, despite the fact that I can realistically live off my SSDI income alone for a while, I don't know what to do about this. I even had one friend tell me he would stop being my friend if I took the NEET route for a couple of months.

despite the fact that I can realistically live off my SSDI income alone for a while
That tells me that at least in the short run you are in control in the event you do decide to leave your job. That in fact you do have some "wiggle room" to bail if need be. An option most folks don't have.

But you also have to consider your SSDI income isn't dependent on the private sector either. That in that "short run" you do have more options than perhaps most people totally dependent upon gainful employment.

In the most conventional sense those people telling you to wait is probably par for the course. But you then have to consider just how "conventional" your personal circumstances really are. With your physical and emotional well-being hanging in the balance, you may find you have different priorities. And that it's not a crime to choose from deviating from what so many would consider the "norm".

Last edited:
That tells me that at least in the short run you are in control in the event you do decide to leave your job. That in fact you do have some "wiggle room" to bail if need be. An option most folks don't have.

But you also have to consider your SSDI income isn't dependent on the private sector either. That in that "short run" you do have more options than perhaps most people totally dependent upon gainful employment.

In the most conventional sense those people telling you to wait is probably par for the course. But you then have to consider just how "conventional" your personal circumstances really are. With your physical and emotional well-being hanging in the balance, you may find you have different priorities. And that it's not a crime to choose from deviating from what so many would consider the "norm".
I plan on rewriting my resume when I get home from work today. Another friend told me that I have an edge over most of those laid off workers - I only want to work PT, and benefits don't matter in my case. I might have an easier time finding a job than people who are looking exclusively for FT work.

I've bailed on a job before when I had no backup. Desperate to exit a toxic working environment. However sufficiently capitalized to weather the storm I created for myself.

This job keeps on forcing me to make outgoing cold calls, yet they know how I feel about that. I do not like the way my voice sounds. I have had people automatically assume I live with severe intellectual disabilities due to the lack of tonality in most of my speech. Yet I have to put my voice out there for this job, and I hate it.

To look for a job more suited to my skill set than my current one, because I hate making cold calls.

Is that what you do? No wonder you feel so awful. I used to do bill collections and had to make at least 100 calls per day. I felt very similar to you.

@Metalhead
"I even had one friend tell me he would stop being my friend if I took the NEET route for a couple of months."

Doesn't sound like much of a friend.

Thru this horrendous storm of no sleep, rachet boss, mother dearest, you have come thru this with a plan of action. You are doing this, you are running your life without the addiction side thinking and stopping the pacifing stuff, helped you figure out the issues you needed to face, sleep issue, boss issue, mother leech.

Last edited:
Stuck at home with no place to go to tonight, and all of my local friends are too busy to even talk to me. Hell, all of my non-local friends are too busy to talk to me tonight, as well. I need something, anything, to numb all of this out.

Whatever it was you were thinking Friday night,
I hope you quit telling yourself that story.

*no place to go*/*friends all busy* doesn't
equal *I'm a worthless piece of crap* and *I
should forcefully eradicate the feelings I'm
having by using some substance.*

I am feeling myself close to the breaking point. I have a single nerve holding me together and life is taking a jackhammer to use against it.

I just called in sick because I woke up vomiting. My boss called me back and accused me of playing hooky. Time for me to double down on the job hunt.

As soon as the doctors get my health issues under control, I will land a better job. I do not want to land a better job now and lose it because of my vomiting and sleep issues.

I have been quiet quitting this job for a while. This is a different situation to a job a quiet quitter two decades ago, though. At that job, at a sheet metal factory, as soon as the bosses there realized I was going to Gay Days in Orlando every year, they “randomly” started to drug test me every time I returned to the factory after taking any vacation time. Then a new manager took over my department, and this manager admitted to me that while other people there did not want to fire me because I was one of the top production people there, he admitted to me that he ordered me to send out defective merchandise so he could use that as an excuse to fire me a couple of weeks later - he did not want any faggots working under him. I quit the job then and there, but then my mother got involved, talked to my ex-boss’ boss, and tried to argue that I really did not mean it when I said I quit that job. She even harassed my therapist at that time because my therapist agreed with me that I had no future there. I think I should move to Michigan at this point.

New Threads

Top Bottom