• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Musical Genres!!

Jazz

It's so cool and good!!! Especially big band jazz. The overall carefully constructed rhythms and melodies keep me in a state of peace with myself. I especially like Cab Calloway. Even though he's gone, he keeps a lasting legacy. Not only was he great at singing, but he actually looked rather attractive. Lemme show you.

tumblr_p3bl6e5e4z1wit2cao1_500.jpg

AAAA JUST LOOK AT HIM!!! I'm in love.

Dubstep

Although not as complex as Jazz, it gives off a good rhythm and all those bass sounds are really awesome because I like the low and loud frequencies.

Electro Swing

A genre that is a blend of pop, dubstep, jazz, and 1920s-30s music. It comes together beautifully! So catchy and carefree. I love it. If you've heard Caravan Palace, you'll get where I'm coming from.

Opera, Classical, etc.

It's so classy and sophisticated! Very carefully constructed as well. I'm particularly interested in Mozart, and especially the more baroque sounds of Bach.

Vaporwave

This genre screams aesthetic to me. I like to listen to this genre when I'm alone.

Indie/Alternative

I don't know how to describe it, but I love it.

Heavy Metal/Rock

...I can explain.

My favourite style of music is early blues music: Louisianian, new orleans, mississippi delta, and some of the sub-genres like ragtime, piedmont, chicago, west coast blues, country, gospel and bluegrass.

That came about when african american slaves were freed in the southern united states. It's a mix of african musical rhythms, european folk song, chants, ballads and spirituals. It's closely connected to the expressions of freedom that african american's experienced at the end of slavery.

That's what makes it truly honest music, raw and powerful. When I first heard it, in my teens, it seemed like music that was truthful and honest rather than created to make money. Blues music has influenced every style of music that came after it. Folk, jazz, country, rock and roll, disco, hip hop, house, and most everything else I've not included here that came afterwards.

This is Mississippi John Hurt, who was a folk blues singer:

Jazz, Dave Brubeck quartet:

Last edited:
60-70's: real voices with real orchestral backing
eighties:it was actually original, it was fun, still required vocal and instrumental talent
nineties: just sounded fun, introduction into elm
edm: love the clear rhythm
modern instrumental jazz: mainly centred around piano
classical: string and piano concertos

modern music: not so much
- lack of talent and content is often masked vulgarity and explicit nature
- lack of staying power, music feels like it is more of a product as delivered by music labels rather than something that is actually introduced and pushed by an artist
- so much of it all sounds the same

Classic Rock
Especially the 70's and 80's.
Some Pop 70's mostly.
And all things The Beatles.

Ambient, new age when I want to relax or need help to
get to sleep.

This gets me going though:

I love music too much to really have to pick a favorite genre...
But going by the genres I listen to most...
Indie folk/rock, Symphony Rock, Red Dirt Country, Classic Rock
Classic Rock
Especially the 70's and 80's.
Some Pop 70's mostly.
And all things The Beatles.

Ambient, new age when I want to relax or need help to
get to sleep.

This gets me going though:

I forgot the drummer was one armed... I always ADMIRE anyone that doesn't allow limits to stop them!

Speaking of people who don't let disabilities stop them...
This is one of my favorite current groups... they are deep into real life songs about real life people... There is a huge surprise at the end... : )

Nice range in musical taste. How about mixing a few together:

When you said "mixing a few together" my head went straight to this...

I love when things get mixed together and it works out really cool... and ON TOP of that its even about the same song... The video is pretty comical and has Steve Via who is now ratied the 10th greatest guitar player in the world... And 2 Cellos who are from Crete... All in a Guitar Centre of all places... It's too cool. It gave me goose bumps the first time I saw this.

I think that you can guess what kind of music I listen to from my username and avatar, but I'll write it anyway:

Progressive rock
Classic rock/60s and 70s rock
Folk Rock
Metal

The guys of 2 Cellos are great! I love their rendition of Thunderstruck:

These guys are just too crazy... and yet when serious, they can play the most beautiful classical style music that sends chills up your spine... I have just about everything they have available on iTunes...

When people can make an instrument sing louder than human words, or nearly sound as if it is mourning for a lost love... That is a master of music and these guys are basically still very young.

Guess that's my deal... I don't even have a favorite genre at all... I seek something that can only be found in very specific songs no matter what type genre it is, even Native American music... It has a lot of what I am very poorly explaining... : )

What I liked about it was that version, like sportster, said all four genres are mixed together but to me, one genre doesn't seem to overpower the others.

These guys are just too crazy... and yet when serious, they can play the most beautiful classical style music that sends chills up your spine... I have just about everything they have available on iTunes...

When people can make an instrument sing louder than human words, or nearly sound as if it is mourning for a lost love... That is a master of music and these guys are basically still very young.

Guess that's my deal... I don't even have a favorite genre at all... I seek something that can only be found in very specific songs no matter what type genre it is, even Native American music... It has a lot of what I am very poorly explaining... : )

Im a big fan of blues. I love the feel and emotion they project. Anything that sounds good is fine with me. I like how stevie ray and jimi captured and kept up with the raw feel of blues. I can listen to them all day. I really enjoy the remakes of some songs too, like Led Zeppelins I cant quit you baby.
I enjoy heavy metal and hip hop too. To me, hip hop was an accidental love ill never stop listening too.
It was the two man group called Atmosphere that introduced me to the free love of hip hop. But i stick to the poetry form and not the mumble form, ya feel me?

I seek something that can only be found in very specific songs no matter what type genre it is, even Native American music... It has a lot of what I am very poorly explaining... : )
Native American is great.
Being half Cherokee and from AZ guess the attraction is natural.
Saw some very good Navajo players last week at the Strawberry Festival.
Going to a PowWow Thursday in New Port Richey.
There will also be Aztec performances.
Look forward to it.

60's, 70's and 80's Pop, and some 90's stuff, although IMO anything after about 1996 is a bit rubbish apart from some of the Spice Girls' early stuff, but even that was only cos I fancied the Posh one.

And classic rock, Meat Loaf in particular.

@Sportster : Yes. I could sit on the rocks by a stream like that all day. Nice music/nature.
Reminded me of one of my favourite paintings:
Lee_Bogle_Soul_Mates.jpg

Funny to think about how I arranged my music genres for my flash drive to be played on my car's audio system.

The first "genre" makes all the sense in the world. :cool:

-Beatles

220px-Beatles_ad_1965_just_the_beatles_crop.jpg

Actually there's a method to the madness. 99 songs in six albums. The most of any group I have. Better to list them as a genre so they are no more difficult to locate than the other genres and musicians I list in my music collection.

New Threads

Top Bottom