• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Facebook users: does this ever happen to you?

Jacki Cucinotta

Before I ask the question, I would like to discuss about something that has been bothering me ever since I joined Facebook, and even more so over the past couple of days.

When I send friend requests over Facebook, I always add people who I feel I have made some connection with. Most of the time, people accept. But once in a blue moon there are some people who I am almost 100% sure are ignoring my requests (the reason I know this is that I hold this assumption is that many of those I send requests to either accept requests from other people, comment on posts made by mutual friends, or post pictures in which mutual friends are tagged in). These possible acts of ignorance really hurt my feelings because I feel like I am not liked enough by them.

A specific set of instances are occurring right now as I am sending requests to those I feel I have connected and bonded with over Curry College's Alternative Spring Break program in Delaware (I was working with 27 other people - many of whom I am already friends with both on and off Facebook - for Habitat for Humanity to help build a house for a family in need of a good home that they couldn't otherwise afford on their own). As of yet, there are four individuals who I wish to be friends with, but still haven't accepted my requests, including one guy who I have a bit of a crush on :(

With all that said, do these kind of things happen to you on Facebook?

Yes. All the time. I give up on the requests too, in an attempt to prove a point to them. I rant about it later in my status updates to those who will actually read it, then they re-assure me that the people weren't worth my time. I don't care for that advice because clearly I want to be connected with others. If it's a "I don't want you reading my posts thing" I am hiding people left and right all the time! Nothing to worry about. LOL! :bounce:

I have come to conclusion that it's pointless to add people to your list unless you know them well... More or less... Or personally. So I don't care any more. I don't send any requests and don't add people that I don't know personally any more unless somebody recommends. If you haven't connected with certain individuals off the Facebook, there's a good chance you won't connect with them through Facebook either. There're some people who add anyone, but it seems (even though I might be wrong) that 1000s of friends trend comes to an end. Focus on people you do have connection with.

Great advice. I have done that with most of those who have not accepted - just forget about it altogether. However, these people that I bonded with on my ASB trip I mentioned are special to me in that I lived with them for an entire week and got to know them on a really personal level. That's why those instances hurt me more than the others.

Maybe you did get to know them well but then for whatever reason they distanced themselves from yourself after the fact. Maybe they have some insecurity about themselves that they feel around you? Fact is, people are funny- yes, my NT friends say this all the time too. And, bottom line, socializing to a degree is a numbers game. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Just keep plugging away. At least you have friends in the first place through meaningful activities. There are plenty of people out there, both AS and NT, who don't have that.

I dont have a facebook. It just confuses me and brings me the kind of uneccesary harmful garbage youre going through. probably had the most freeing liberating feeling deleting it. i dont have a need for that many people in my life. more people = more drama.

Don't take it too personally. I sometimes leave requests til I know the person a bit better then accept. Sometimes when people don't know you and are unsure of you it can come across as if they don't like you.

New Threads

Top Bottom