• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Exploring Ideas, and Finally Getting Assessed!

Ronin82

Dog Trainer Extraordinaire
V.I.P Member
Since losing my job as an Independent Contractor delivering auto parts, I've been floundering trying to figure out what I can do to get some cashflow. Retail is out of the question, and I'm realizing my disabilities make it too difficult to find work on my own. I signed up with DARS (Dept. of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services) and they are paying for me to have an ASD assessment. Just got word that the appointment is set! In 2 weeks I'll have a whole day of testing. Hoping I can actually show my Aspie tendencies and traits instead of unconsciously hiding everything. This diagnosis will mean I can get disability accommodations in school and employment and possibly SSDI as well if I can't get anything else.

These last few weeks I've been trying to search for ANY work to do, but I'm starting to realize I need to work WITH my wiring, not try to constantly fight it. So, I decided to look into getting a Medical Lab Tech certification. I've always loved biology, using microscopes, and laboratory environments; plus, I won't have to deal with new people all the effing time! Gonna discuss this with my support team, including DARS, but may have to wait until next year to start school for that. What you guys think?

Wonderful! Lab techs usually enjoy relatively calm, quiet work environments, have a solid routine they can count on, and don't have to hobnob with crowds or customers. This could be super for you!

Don't worry about the testing. The tests are varied, and measure your strengths as well as challenges. Plus, you can ask for breaks when you need them. Plan a restorative relaxation period for yourself after, though. It is going to feel great getting some supports for your ASD! Woohoo! :)

My wife has been an MLT for 16 years. She likes the work, but she hates the 'games' some of her coworkers play. It doesn't help that Advocate uses a peer evaluation system to determine individual yearly goals, strengths, deficiencies, and of course, salary increases. My advice: don't work for Advocate.

I forgot to add that doctors tend to be rude and demanding on the phone!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom