• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Experiences with Strattera?

Naomi

I've been taking it for a while (although not consistently) and I'm kind of worried about the effects. I've been irritated all morning, and have found myself snapping at my parents (which is really not like me). My parents kind of have their heart set on this medication, but I'm not sure about it.

It's especially concerning for me because I might get irritated with things, but I don't snap at people easily and I'm usually pretty mellow when it comes to dealing with people. The irritation felt like it was sitting on my shoulders and was present from the moment I got out of bed.

That was my main fear about the medication - that it would cause me to act in ways I don't usually. Maybe its confirmation bias? Have other people here taken Strattera and ended up with anger/aggression issues?

I'm in my 40's, and I took Strattera for about a year and a half, at 80mgs a few years ago. While it seemed to help my concentration and limit my daydreaming tendencies, eventually I couldn't take the side effects. For me they included; stomach upset, kind of a low grade headache almost constantly, urination problems for the first 3 hours or so. And if I skipped a day or two, I'd get kind of light headed. So yeah, I was kind of irritated.

It did help my cravings for comfort foods, made me want to go to sleep at night, it felt like it made me toe the line. But Nitro's right, you should talk to your prescribing Dr. as soon as you are able. Negative emotional reactions like what you are experiencing are something you should be concerned about.

One thing that happened to me early on when I was taking it was a feeling like I was giving myself over to a pharmaceutical, and I reacted with resentment, and acted in ways that hurt some people that are very important to me. It wasn't aggression or anger, but I felt as if I was being regulated, and I resented it, I felt I had a choice, keep taking it and stay with my family, or stop taking it and leave. It felt that stark. I can't say that it was all the fault of a drug, but I really did not feel like myself, my brain actually felt restrained, less creative and I didn't like it.

I changed psychiatrists, and he listened to my concerns, and suggested I give wellbutrin a try. I've been taking it for about 7 months now, and I know that I'm getting benefits for my distraction tendencies, my emotional regulation is much better, and best of all, I'm not really aware that I'm taking something, it really has had no side effects for me. May not be what's best for you, though. But it has really helped me.

Good luck and take care.

New Threads

Top Bottom