• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Exercise and routines

BobbyTheEmperor

I don't know where to put this topic so I put it here.
I like movement and certain forms of exercise (the ones where you can develop skills and it is more of an interest that happens to include movement rather than movement you "have" to do) examples of things I like are dancing, yoga and I fell in love with climbing a couple of months ago.

Now to my question and the difficulty I experience from time to time.
When I fall in love/very much like a new activity, after awhile I experience that I withdraw from the thing I like. This has happened with everything (including people) all my life but after some time off this new thing I come back.

If anyone here has experienced something similar, how do you deal with it?

For me, routines with climbing, dancing etc is extremely important and when I fall of the routine (like climbing on a Sunday, this is a routine I had and now I don't and it is difficult for me to get back to that routine, once I do get back, that routine will be solid again). So it's quite difficult for me to "get back".
If someone here have to commit to routines, how do you get back to the steady routines if you change them for some reason?

Kind Regards P

I find that it's simply best to not do TOO much of a particular thing, and to add variety. The "withdrawal" you mention sounds a lot like burnout, and burnout is exactly what happens when you do too much of one thing with little in the way of other activities.

Vary things up more. Have more than just one or two hobbies / activities to do and alternate frequently between them. And even within a given hobby or whatever, change things up there too.

I find that it's simply best to not do TOO much of a particular thing, and to add variety. The "withdrawal" you mention sounds a lot like burnout, and burnout is exactly what happens when you do too much of one thing with little in the way of other activities.

Vary things up more. Have more than just one or two hobbies / activities to do and alternate frequently between them. And even within a given hobby or whatever, change things up there too.

Thanx for your answer :)

So could the issue be that I focus too much on movement and that I should add some hobbies that doesn't include movement to my life? Because with movement (if I look at movement as one particular thing and the variety is climbing, dancing and then whatever I feel like doing, like walks, yoga at home, sometimes running and being in the forest as the variation within "movement")

then would reading, writing, (I want to learn how to knit) and playing computer games be the variation outside of "movement" be what I should focus on? And with reading, vary between reading children's books, facts and novels as an example?

And burnouts, can they look like withdrawal and simply wanting to do and not do things at the same time? And when it comes to friends, can it look like wanting to be and not be with the person/the group of friends at the same time?

Sorry, very new to this, don't even know if I am on the spectrum. Started thinking last year when I came across the Aspergers from the Inside channel on Youtube and found a lot of that content helpful.
And now I'm here :) Thank you again for your answer :) I'll try this and se what happens.

So could the issue be that I focus too much on movement and that I should add some hobbies that doesn't include movement to my life? Because with movement (if I look at movement as one particular thing and the variety is climbing, dancing and then whatever I feel like doing, like walks, yoga at home, sometimes running and being in the forest as the variation within "movement")

To a degree, this could sorta be the case, as they have similarities. Exercise is great and all, but it's a very focused activity, sometimes TOO focused. And by its very nature, it is also extremely repetitive, even a bit mindless. Often, it seems like the only thing that REALLY adds variation to exercise in general is the location. Doing it in a forest is different from doing it in a house, for instance. But even then, well... your access to different locations is limited, particularly with the current situation.

then would reading, writing, (I want to learn how to knit) and playing computer games be the variation outside of "movement" be what I should focus on? And with reading, vary between reading children's books, facts and novels as an example?

Aye, I dont see why not. Though, within those as well, you gotta still keep up some variation. It's a bit easy to get sucked into doing just one particular element of a given hobby. Like, video games, I know a couple of people who just do FPS games all the bloody time, and then wonder why they get burned out on the whole thing. They never try new stuff out within that hobby (and they sure dont listen to my recommendations), so it's just the same thing over and over and over... even though it's different individual games, the ones they play are so amazingly similar to each other that it doesnt work for variety.

And burnouts, can they look like withdrawal and simply wanting to do and not do things at the same time?

Yep. Though, there are times it can also be just lethargy. Sometimes, you gotta sorta FORCE yourself to do something. It's not good to have inactive days. Even if you dont feel like doing anything, sometimes you gotta just go "okay you know what I'm just going to do this thing over here ANYWAY" and go with it. I have to do this sometimes.

And when it comes to friends, can it look like wanting to be and not be with the person/the group of friends at the same time?

That's a whole big topic in and of itself which may or may not have anything to do with the concept of burnout, depending on... lotsa stuff. Social issues/confusion/reluctance/whatever is extremely common for those on the spectrum and often the most frustrating aspect of the whole thing. If you hang around the forums here enough you're going to hear a lot about it.

To a degree, this could sorta be the case, as they have similarities. Exercise is great and all, but it's a very focused activity, sometimes TOO focused. And by its very nature, it is also extremely repetitive, even a bit mindless. Often, it seems like the only thing that REALLY adds variation to exercise in general is the location. Doing it in a forest is different from doing it in a house, for instance. But even then, well... your access to different locations is limited, particularly with the current situation.

Hmm...I really have to keep this in mind and se where I can add variation and maybe even exercise less in general. I live in Sweden (and I'm a primary school teacher so I am not very protected from Covid at all) and the reason to why I am attracted to climbing is this: Different colors on the walls, different grips and feelings to the grips. One have to solve problems and work with emotions aswell. Different locations for the gyms and the possibility to be outdoors in the summer. I can belay, climb or do bouldering (different things). High focus though. So could walks and be outdoors be a better option since climbing is indoors a lot and require so much in every way possible?
Climbing - high focus, indoors (where can I add variation?)
Being outdoors - Changed place, feeling of air, temperature etc, can add speed or less speed depending of what I need...
Yoga at home - I am at home, also different feel, different place, less people, my cats participate (but I don't know about the focus, so have too keep that in mind and se about this part...).

Aye, I dont see why not. Though, within those as well, you gotta still keep up some variation. It's a bit easy to get sucked into doing just one particular element of a given hobby. Like, video games, I know a couple of people who just do FPS games all the bloody time, and then wonder why they get burned out on the whole thing. They never try new stuff out within that hobby (and they sure dont listen to my recommendations), so it's just the same thing over and over and over... even though it's different individual games, the ones they play are so amazingly similar to each other that it doesnt work for variety.

Yes, I play World of Warcraft and can only do that like twice a week, then my mind needs rest from it. So World of Warcraft, the visuals are quite overwhelming, the music and everything about it is like, I can do it twice a week maximum although it's fun. Pretty sure I could get a burn out from it.
Difference there...I don't know, playing chess online? High focus there aswell maybe. Don't know my options here, maybe I can ask here on the forum...perhaps some sort of game where you build things instead of doing missions and follow a storyline.

Yep. Though, there are times it can also be just lethargy. Sometimes, you gotta sorta FORCE yourself to do something. It's not good to have inactive days. Even if you dont feel like doing anything, sometimes you gotta just go "okay you know what I'm just going to do this thing over here ANYWAY" and go with it. I have to do this sometimes.

Yep, here aswell. It's easier for me to stick to routines and do some things in the week on workdays.

That's a whole big topic in and of itself which may or may not have anything to do with the concept of burnout, depending on... lotsa stuff. Social issues/confusion/reluctance/whatever is extremely common for those on the spectrum and often the most frustrating aspect of the whole thing. If you hang around the forums here enough you're going to hear a lot about it.

Can relate to reluctance although I do have friends and a boyfriend. I would like to say I've never had problem w social interaction but actually I have in that sense that I have contributed more to relationships then past friends etc. In social situations with friends I have contributed to at least 70% of the friendships in the past and then the relationships haven't lasted once I started to practice "only" doing 50% of the job of maintaining a friendship (the friends I have today accept this). I got stuck in a destructive relationship aswell for the same reason (and because I never knew how to identify if I guy liked me until I was an adult and already in that relationship).

Sorry that I just write so much about this. This is new and I hope I can find some answers about me here. I'm likely to read a lot in the beginning and try not to answer too much (if I'm not on the spectrum I don't want to be impolite and give answers which might not be good to other members.)

Thank you for your time :)

I do my walking in places that are inherently interesting. I try to keep it as wild as possible. Walking is easily combined with other interests like photography, flowers, bird watching, or even window shopping. You should always try to walk mindfully. There is so much to miss if you don't. And vary the route to avoid feeling like you have everything memorized.

It is also a random thing for me. Missing a day is kind of meaningless. Ideally, you should exercise every day that it is practical and not on one set day.

You can get bored with any routine so mix it up. Develop several different activities to pursue. Change out walking with jogging or climbing or a gym workout so you don't get tired of just one thing. Interest in all of them will wax and wane but hopefully not simultaneously.

I do my walking in places that are inherently interesting. I try to keep it as wild as possible. Walking is easily combined with other interests like photography, flowers, bird watching, or even window shopping. You should always try to walk mindfully. There is so much to miss if you don't. And vary the route to avoid feeling like you have everything memorized.

It is also a random thing for me. Missing a day is kind of meaningless. Ideally, you should exercise every day that it is practical and not on one set day.

You can get bored with any routine so mix it up. Develop several different activities to pursue. Change out walking with jogging or climbing or a gym workout so you don't get tired of just one thing. Interest in all of them will wax and wane but hopefully not simultaneously.

This brings to mind that I switch between movements quite often. So there could be an actual explanaition where I seek different things? Where I need this variation? Had a friend who said: Yeah, you tend to change between things...

So this behaviour is...normal?

My goal is to have some sort of movement every day. When I manage to get that I function quite well.
So I need to find cheap alternatives to make the variation happen. With exeptionella for climbing, this is good advice. I Will try this! Thanx for your tip!

An other thing related to the topic - can a certain weather be an obsticle? I live in Sweden and for me it’s the worst time of the year now because it is cold, gray and nothing like Christmas and lights to cheer up. I can handle very hot temperatures without a problem but I hate cold. I don’t tolerate it very well and sometimes I have even been considering changing country because of the cold (Sweden is a nice country and the spring and summers are lovely).
Can a certain temperature be a challenge?
Kind Regards Pauline

This brings to mind that I switch between movements quite often. So there could be an actual explanaition where I seek different things? Where I need this variation? Had a friend who said: Yeah, you tend to change between things...

My goal is to have some sort of movement every day. When I manage to get that I function quite well.
So I need to find cheap alternatives to make the variation happen. With exeptionella for climbing, this is good advice. I Will try this! Thanx for your tip!

An other thing related to the topic - can a certain weather be an obsticle? I live in Sweden and for me it’s the worst time of the year now because it is cold, gray and nothing like Christmas and lights to cheer up. I can handle very hot temperatures without a problem but I hate cold. I don’t tolerate it very well and sometimes I have even been considering changing country because of the cold (Sweden is a nice country and the spring and summers are lovely).
Kind Regards Pauline

I am also a big multitasking fan - it aids initiative taking by reducing perseveration and intensity.

It's usual for us to have our favourite temperatures - I hate hot!

Light might be part of it too: I'm glad to not live much further north.

Kind Regards Pauline
It is winter and that leads to seasonal affective disorder, a kind of melencholy that sets in when the weather is cold and dark and wet for a long time. SAD is a real psychological issue. It mucks with your circadian rhythm and your melatonin, serotonin and dopamine levels. Cabin fever is related problem characterized by agitation resulting from staying confined at home for a long time.

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) - Symptoms and causes

Cabin fever: Definition, symptoms, and how to cope

One question again about burnout.

If I want to go climbing on a specific day what do I do so I don’t overdo it and possibly burn out?

Today, I wanted to go climbing but it Will turn into a walk outside instead.

But How do I do so the climbing on sunday Will happen?
Kind Regards

I don't know where to put this topic so I put it here.
I like movement and certain forms of exercise (the ones where you can develop skills and it is more of an interest that happens to include movement rather than movement you "have" to do) examples of things I like are dancing, yoga and I fell in love with climbing a couple of months ago.

Now to my question and the difficulty I experience from time to time.
When I fall in love/very much like a new activity, after awhile I experience that I withdraw from the thing I like. This has happened with everything (including people) all my life but after some time off this new thing I come back.

If anyone here has experienced something similar, how do you deal with it?

For me, routines with climbing, dancing etc is extremely important and when I fall of the routine (like climbing on a Sunday, this is a routine I had and now I don't and it is difficult for me to get back to that routine, once I do get back, that routine will be solid again). So it's quite difficult for me to "get back".
If someone here have to commit to routines, how do you get back to the steady routines if you change them for some reason?

Kind Regards P

Sounds like pretty typical autistic behaviour to me. :D:p

Sorry, that's probably not much help.

I agree with the "vary it more" option if you can. Also, maybe are you just overexerting yourself and getting too physically tired? Maybe adding in more resting (or sitting activities) would help? I know, as autistics, modulation is hard. It's one of those sensory processing things.

Sounds like pretty typical autistic behaviour to me. :D:p

Sorry, that's probably not much help.

I agree with the "vary it more" option if you can. Also, maybe are you just overexerting yourself and getting too physically tired? Maybe adding in more resting (or sitting activities) would help? I know, as autistics, modulation is hard. It's one of those sensory processing things.

It helps in that sense that I don't feel like I am completely weird or like there is something wrong with me. I've got an "aha!" kind of experience here.
I tried this variation thing and what happened so far? I have been running two days in a row (short distance and I add listening to an audiobook or a podcast) and I changed routes both days. It worked.
Tomorrow I will go climbing but at an other venue. So far it feels like it might work.

This variation thing is sth that was unexpected but so far - worked. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom