• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Enamel badges.

Roy pryer

When i was young I had an obsession for collecting those Golliwogs from Robinsons marmalade. Then all of a sudden they stopped doing them....Why was this? I only had a few more to get.... They were made out of enamel & were beautiful. ....Roy.

It is really sad that an innocently conceived character was made offensive by some people's racist actions. I had a gollywog doll as a child and it never occured to me that it represented a black person or was racist or negative in any way. It was just one of my toys.

I bet you could complete your collection on ebay, if they haven't banned them or something.

Thanks for your advice Tree. It all sounds a bit childish to me. I still collect Golliwogs all these years later. Many different sizes & styles.......And always will. Have black people got a chip on their shoulder?
It is really sad that an innocently conceived character was made offensive by some people's racist actions. I had a gollywog doll as a child and it never occured to me that it represented a black person or was racist or negative in any way. It was just one of my toys.

I bet you could complete your collection on ebay, if they haven't banned them or something.
Yes i have bought several on line, they can be quite expensive though....Thanks Roy.

No they don't have a chip on their shoulder, it just closely resembled a minstrel shop's portrayal of a black person, so people weren't sure what the doll was supposed to be portraying.

I had never heard of a Golliwog before but after a quick search can see why they would seem racist. May have not been the original intent but that would be my first impression of them. They remind me of the racist postcards and a Mammy doll I found at my aunt's when cleaning her house out. They were all from the 1940's, sent or purchased in the south eastern US. I threw them away.

Last edited:
I still have a mammy doll my parents bought for me when
they were at Mardi Gras. She is made of cloth and has the
characteristic bandana head dress.
The African American Woman's Headwrap: Unwinding the Symbols
I have one made of porcelain which my old gran gave me years ago. Probably most controversial today is a book i treasure called "The adventures of Sambo" it has a picture of a gollywog on the front holding an umbrella. Which is definitely worth a bit nowadays.

While were on the subject i had an irish friend who went to a "Ku Klux Klan" fancy dress ball dressed as AL JOLSON.

I have one made of porcelain which my old gran gave me years ago. Probably most controversial today is a book i treasure called "The adventures of Sambo" it has a picture of a gollywog on the front holding an umbrella. Which is definitely worth a bit nowadays.
I have the same book I have no idea when my mother was collecting the Robinsons Gollies that it was offensive I thought it was just something you've collected from Robinsons jam and my mother like to get the badges

I still have some of these exact enamel pins. My Grandmother collected them and ones by Penguin (the biscuit) for myself and my sister.

"At the time of its composition, Golliwoggs were in fashion, due partly to the popularity at that time of the novels of Florence Kate Upton ("golliwog" is a later usage). They were stuffed black dolls with red pants, red bow ties and wild hair..."

Did you ever see Robertsons marmalade in the USA ,on the label there was a little stamp shape that you cut out and when you'd collected enough you got a badge
I've never seen that brand of Marmalade in USA.
And how I wish I could find crumpets here!

New Threads

Top Bottom