• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Empowering thread: what's your aspie special powers?

Talking about aspies special superpower; I can see my future, parts of it (literally), does anyone else has some kind of premonition or deja vus on their dreams?; instead of an unrational dream created by my brain during my sleep, I literally see a short "fragment of my life" in my head of a future I'm gonna live just the way I see it at my sleep, I usually have this dreams half a year or more before the "fragment of my life" happens. I have at least 2 or 3 of this per month.

My ability to sit for hours if need be, sorting and ordering something so its logical. And this usually will involve far more categorizing in different ways than the average NT, and also having patience and happiness to do so

Having a useful combination of immense persistence and honesty. I will never give up and always do and complete what I have said I would. So if I've said I will not give up that's the ultimate seal on the deal.

Noticing very small, intricate details, and remembering identifying factors

Don't know if this is an aspie power, but if I'm trying to remember where I was for a particular event, I do so in a useful way. I remember which way I was facing. I don't put a label on it like east, west etc, but my internal compass must be quite busy because I then think where I have been while facing that direction. I can then list in my mind those situations I've been in while facing that direction and work out where I would have been. I've worked out that it is actually accurate enough to put a label like east, west. I don't know how my subconscious mind knows exactly which way is which but my sense of direction has a lot to be desired.

Because you were so positive and encouraging, aspies are more reserved usually
Oh right.:)
I've had 29 years of practice in learning how the world works, how people work, and because I was only diagnosed at 18, I spent my 1st 18 years deciphering NTs, learning their ways and trying to perfect the illusion of being one, because otherwise, I'd be mocked and discriminated against. People are harsh.... But in the long run, I suppose it might have done me some favours amongst all the pain it caused.
Was your comment a compliment? If it was, I thank you. If I misinterpreted that, I'm sorry

Edit: And I added my RAADS-R score at the end so I'm not causing anymore confusion(hopefully :))

I had to think about this as, like inabox says I've spent so much time trying to 'act normal' I've not focused on.. the benefits, but..
Visualization; I can build an object in my mind before building it for real, very helpful with art, carpentry and other interests.
Very observant; I might miss stuff others consider important, but I notice a lot that they don't.
Honesty and a strong code of ethics.
Compassion and empathy, though I sometimes wish I could turn these off, they're so painful.
I can tell which direction I'm facing, like an inbuilt compass.
Cool thread.. uplifting :)

I'm not sure if I am an aspie or not, but I do believe I am "wired" differently from most folk, and that this does give me some advantages. I find however, that the very qualities that are disadvantages in certain contexts may be advantages in others, or even be both simultaneously.

• I am a perfectionist. When working on a project, especially one of a creative nature, I tend to obsess over what other people would consider minor details. This can result in delays in my work or lead to me never finishing a project because it "isn't ready", but it also leads to results that other people find impressive, even if I am not entirely satisfied with the final result.
  • I can be very persistent in completing tasks. Once I start something it really bothers me if I don't finish, especially in the short term.
  • While my memory is not the most reliable I tend to recall things from very early in my life. I even recall having my picture taken when I was too young to sit up on my own, or my early attempts at escaping my crib.
  • I understand what it is like to not have your brain function as expected. I have struggled with compulsions, depression, poor motor coordination, and certain learning difficulties all my life. This allows me to better sympathize with others who are dealing with learning difficulties and mental health issues. This is very useful in my work as a support aide, and just in life in general.
  • I can almost hear music in my head. This is useful for composition, but is also great fun. Sometimes I blissfully dance around the house to the symphony of my imagination.
  • I tend to analyze and systematize those things in which I am interested. This gives me great pleasure, and makes me a font of insight for those who care to listen. Many people aren't interested in discussing evolutionary biology or the aesthetics of game design in RPGs, but when I find somebody who is it's like fireworks going off in my brain.

Lke a Skywalker, the aspie force runs deep in my family, as I am , at least, a fourth generation aspie. I wield "logical thought" like a jedi, enabling me to become, literally, not figuratively, the most powerful man alive, within the desktop environment.

Logical thought from multiple shifted perspectives at once, the result of the "aspie skew". i refer to this as quantum logic

I use the Star Wars references because, while Lucas did not realize it, Anakin/Vader is 100% the personification of an aspie. It is really astounding, actually, that he unknowingly did so with such accuracy.

Although my grandfather was never diagnosed, my mom seems to think he might've had Aspergers. She noticed he might've had some traits associated with Aspergers. Also, I have a cousin who aced math at an Ivy League university and is a chess champion. We don't know if he's on the spectrum either (I've never even met him since he lives in Connecticut and I in California), but he reportedly has emotional problems.

I don't have many but heres mine
  1. good with keeping information to do with my intrests (good skill to have)
  2. good skills with using devices (expecialy in this modern world)
  3. also I can spot patterns that are not numbers.
that's all I can think of

Talking about aspies special superpower; I can see my future, parts of it (literally), does anyone else has some kind of premonition or deja vus on their dreams?; instead of an unrational dream created by my brain during my sleep, I literally see a short "fragment of my life" in my head of a future I'm gonna live just the way I see it at my sleep, I usually have this dreams half a year or more before the "fragment of my life" happens. I have at least 2 or 3 of this per month.
I do get that sometimes just weird things like seeing a object or person in a certain spot its weird but awesome.

My best aspie power is that I can convince people that I'm a harmless old eccentric, works like a charm :)
I have something a bit like that. Completely unintentional and sometimes annoying, but at other times works to my advantage. People often think I'm of really low intelligence. Then they might do things which will tell me useful information that they wouldn't otherwise disclose to me. Like when they talk to other people, sometimes assuming I can't hear them, sometimes thinking they are being cryptic. Cryptic enough to fool a mentally challenged woodlouse! Sometimes I am able to make them see I am not mentally challenged, and it's amusing to me to see their reaction. Other times, I don't let them know, either deliberately, or because by accident I continue being quiet with a "distant" look about me.

I have had that at least 3 times in my life. Mine are more of a question of "I wonder what it would be like to.....?", and years later it happens.
The most recent one was that I always knew that I would somehow be involved with running a cemetery. About 3 years ago I got a call out of the blue from an acquaintance from 30 years ago, and was asked to be the treasurer of a local cemetery. I am now the treasurer and surveyor at the cemetery. It's just one of those things that I always knew would happen, but no idea of when or how.
I don't really consider this an aspie power, since it's kind of random and doesn't happen that often.
I would say my aspie power is the ability to repair most anything mechanical or electrical.
Like cig114 said "I fix things". I can't say it any better.

Just a reminder to please refrain from using language that is prejudice against NTs. Thank you.

Is the reason I can't find any language prejudicial toward NTs [in Posts 1 - 7] because:
A. Post #1 was edited by a moderator
B. I am entirely clueless regarding what constitutes "language that is prejudice against NTs"?

I am able to imagine/think up examples of prejudicial language.
It's not that I am too dim to recognize it. At least, I don't think I am.
The deal here, for me, is that I don't see any in the first seven posts
and want to establish, for myself, whether it's a case of A or B.

If B, I need to read up to I can recognize bad/mean/prejudicial statements.
If A, at least I will know it's not B (my lack of understanding.)
Thanks,
if anyone can clear this up for me.
:evergreen:

I am great with patterns. This has helped me in math. Currently teaching math in high school and earning a master's in math. This pattern recognition often helps me complete something even if I don't fully grasp the concepts. I can receive a higher grade than students who have a way better understanding than myself. I guess I would say faking intelligence is my skill. I solve a rubiks cube as a relaxing meditative task. People think it's impressive, but it's simply learning and memorizing a pattern. I don't have a great traditional memory but can recognize and memorize patterns way better than most.

Dividing things into equal parts. This has literally only been useful to me once, serving a cheesecake to 11 people without an extra piece.

Also I have a knack for finding four leaf clovers. When I was little during recess when the others would play sports and chase each other I'd go sit in the field and find them. I had a sandwich bag full. Then I'd come home after school and look in the back yard. Good lord why did nobody realize I was different as a kid?!

Is the reason I can't find any language prejudicial toward NTs [in Posts 1 - 7] because:
A. Post #1 was edited by a moderator
B. I am entirely clueless regarding what constitutes "language that is prejudice against NTs"?

I am able to imagine/think up examples of prejudicial language.
It's not that I am too dim to recognize it. At least, I don't think I am.
The deal here, for me, is that I don't see any in the first seven posts
and want to establish, for myself, whether it's a case of A or B.

If B, I need to read up to I can recognize bad/mean/prejudicial statements.
If A, at least I will know it's not B (my lack of understanding.)
Thanks,
if anyone can clear this up for me.
:evergreen:
I recall the OP and i believe it's A. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

New Threads

Top Bottom