• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Elopement in autistic adults?

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
Do you wander unaware when fogged out in shutdown? Are you generally an active person? Have you ever suddenly found yourself in traffic on foot, or standing in a street, or even in a stream?

I tend to sometimes "zombie stroll" when I'm in a shutdown. I am by nature active. Just wondered if anyone else has found themselves in places they should not be, wondering how they got there.

Sometimes this happens when I must run errands on foot. There is nobody else in my household to run the errands, so sometimes, even when I am not very clear, I still must go out. I try my best to stay home when fogged out, though.

I now have some signs in my home to remind me to be mindful when I go out. I am thinking they helped more when they were new, and perhaps I should switch up/change the signs around, to encourage me to pay a bit of attention to where I am going. It's challenging sometimes. Mindfulness is key. Thoughts?

Disrupting the visual field is a good idea. We pay attention to what changes...can you set a timer or a task list or something on a cell phone to help when you do have to go out?

I can get lost in my head rerunning a social interaction, but I am aware of surroundings.

Going for a walk with someone, I go into my thoughts, and next thing I know whoever I'm with is calling me to come back and I am twenty paces ahead of them. :p

I do not let myself out of the house when in a fog of shutdown. That's partly because I stay aware of surroundings enough to know that I'm more anxious walking in town than being inside my familiar surroundings. To answer your second question, I am a fairly active person. I love walking, and riding my bike, and hiking. (Is that what you meant?) when I hike by myself, I have very strict guidelines as to what I allow myself to do, where I am going etc. I grew up doing a lot of running around in mountains, and I think it's ingrained in me perhaps to lay low when I feel utterly out of it.

My thought #1, Warmheart, I worry that this could be scary or even dangerous for you. #2, - is a questioning thought: Does this (shutdown) happen due to the stress of life in general, or because there isn't anyone to handle errands; so, what can be a way to keep you safe? Edited to add 3, is your avatar your dog, and if so does it go with you when you walk?

Disrupting the visual field is a good idea. We pay attention to what changes...can you set a timer or a task list or something on a cell phone to help when you do have to go out?

I can get lost in my head rerunning a social interaction, but I am aware of surroundings.

I can spend a lot of time re-running interactions and sometimes an even longer time pre-running social interactions (especially with new people), going over possible scenarios and developing suitable answers for all questions that might be thrown at me. If I get un-scripted questions in a social situation I can say things that are inappropriate and then agonise over what I should have said :(

I am also mostly aware of my surroundings outdoors and do notice changes, although sometimes it can take me a while to figure out exactly has changed. When I'm in a crowded shopping mall however, I find I develop a kind of 'tunnel vision' and don't notice much detail at all.

Do you wander unaware when fogged out in shutdown? Are you generally an active person? Have you ever suddenly found yourself in traffic on foot, or standing in a street, or even in a stream?

I tend to sometimes "zombie stroll" when I'm in a shutdown. I am by nature active. Just wondered if anyone else has found themselves in places they should not be, wondering how they got there.

Sometimes this happens when I must run errands on foot. There is nobody else in my household to run the errands, so sometimes, even when I am not very clear, I still must go out. I try my best to stay home when fogged out, though.

I now have some signs in my home to remind me to be mindful when I go out. I am thinking they helped more when they were new, and perhaps I should switch up/change the signs around, to encourage me to pay a bit of attention to where I am going. It's challenging sometimes. Mindfulness is key. Thoughts?

WarmHeart
Just re-read your post and am concerned that you might be experiencing some difficulties. I've read some of your other posts and perceive that you are a very caring person. If your dog accompanies you on your mis-adventures I'm sure you'll be fine because he/she looks like a very compassionate companion.

Thank you everyone for your input. Yes, I have these fogged-out-walking episodes sometimes, but thankfully not especially often. I think staying home when I am feeling shutdown is ideal, if I can. Is hard when I am the only one who can run errands for myself. My dog is not able to travel with me when I am not clear-headed, as I can then not watch out for his wellbeing.
Being mindful of when it is safest and best to veture out on errands is important. I just wondered if anyone else had this happening to them, too. It seems most times I get lost in my inner world. During mindfog/shutdowns from overload, I am considerably much more caught up in that inner world. I suppose we are all different. Mindfulness rocks. :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom