• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Effort Asymmetry

Atrapa Almas

70% INTJ + 30% ASPIE = 100% HUMAN
V.I.P Member
As I have nobody to share some of my thoughts with, I would like to write one of them here. Maybe to fool myself and pretend that I am actually having a conversation. Very much like some autists childs do parallel plays with other childs like they were playing with them.

Any feedback is welcome.

So as a designer I have had a basic problem with reality itself and how it works. If I ever meet God I would like to give him this feedback. Hopefully I will be dead by that time, because every time I give feedback to an authority I get myself in problems.

I remember being at the beach as a kid building a sand castle with my father and sister. We spent our good 2-3 hours on it. We went to the water to refresh ourselves when a small kid passed by and smashed the castle.

My father told me that I should not get angry with the small kid because he did not know what he was doing. So I told him: It's unfair that no knowledge or effort is necessary to destroy something that requires so much effort and knowledge to be built.

And to my disgust, I have seen that principle repeated everywhere, as it was a fundamental rule of creation. Very much like the Pareto Principle that is also everywhere (Pareto principle - Wikipedia)

So to become a good surgeon and safe people lives, in just one specialty like heart tons of efforts and resources are needed. Years of training. And just one person with a knife or a rock can end that life, even by accident. No training needed.

To help some person to recover from bullying trauma, years of hard work, knowledge and commitment are necessary. Just some ignorant kids are necessary to bully someone until suicide.

For a forest to grow and develop all their biodiversity are needed hundred to thousands of years, and the combined efforts of millions of life beings, from trees to insects to viruses. Just one lightning needed to destroy it all, or a drunk human who forget to properly put out their bonfire.

Companies that take decades to be built can be destroyed by just one bad CEO.

Entire countries can be thrown into poverty by one bad president.

One somewhat random rock falling into the earth can wipe out half of the living species quite casually.

And despite this, we are alive. All this effort against the odds is done everyday by our cells. People still study to build things that may be easily destroyed. Nature keeps trying surge after the forest fire, even adapted to take advantage of the disaster to grow faster.

Countries get rebuilt, traumatized people do continue with their lives and sand castles are built.

That's how it works.

Thank you for reading. :)

Entropy. Everything has the tendency to move from order to chaos. Creating order from chaos takes energy, so making the sandcastle takes effort, destroying it not so much. Well, not quite that simple, but you get the gist.

Thank you for sharing, a @Atrapa Almas.

I agree with you that this is a very perplexing nature of things.

It makes me think that as a builder of anything, one should consider the likelihood of destruction in the building plans themselves. Whether it is a sandcastle, a government, or a life, expecting the destruction can lead to a design that encourages flexibility and the ability to rebuild.

Perhaps architects who consider impermanence at the forefront of their design will ultimately be less likely to meet casual, effortless destruction, because part of the plan is to rebound and rebuild when things ultimately fall apart.

It makes me think of the forests that are designed to burn by mother nature herself. Occasional fires are what regenerate the life of the forest and open the seedlings for new trees. Within the destruction of the forest, there is also rebuilding of it.

@Progster Thats rigth!, I had not considered that relation with entropy.

@Rodafina Ancient civilizations like the Roman Empire did build things that way, to last as much as possible.

Our modern civilization focus on profit, not durability. But even ancient buildings can be destroyed with way less efford than what takes to build them.

Thanks for your replys.

Maybe destruction can also be considered transformation. That which is destroyed becomes something new all together. I think humans have a desire to find permanence in things, when looking at the grand cycles of the universe, there is little permanence here on earth.

I’m just thinking out loud here, I do not object to the idea that much more effort is put into creation and destruction so it seems. I am just fascinated by the topic.

There are many states for a pile of sand to be in that to you would be just a smashed pile of sand clumped together. Yet ever so few states that resemble human effort to create a recognizable structure. If the unfairness lies anywhere, it would be inside the way we view the world, and not the contents of the world. Why is only the sandcastle pretty? Why is it so important that any transformation from then on is a destruction and insult to your efforts? Because we just feel that way. And there isn't a single thing more unfair than feelings. But leave the sand out of it. The sand is perfect in every state its been in. Its temporary form, a blessing. Have some sand:
5c4b197ac899739e4cfdaacb7dcd45b7.jpg

(pattern created by receding water chosen because it is erased in moments)

As I have nobody to share some of my thoughts with, I would like to write one of them here. Maybe to fool myself and pretend that I am actually having a conversation. Very much like some autists childs do parallel plays with other childs like they were playing with them.

Any feedback is welcome.

So as a designer I have had a basic problem with reality itself and how it works. If I ever meet God I would like to give him this feedback. Hopefully I will be dead by that time, because every time I give feedback to an authority I get myself in problems.

I remember being at the beach as a kid building a sand castle with my father and sister. We spent our good 2-3 hours on it. We went to the water to refresh ourselves when a small kid passed by and smashed the castle.

My father told me that I should not get angry with the small kid because he did not know what he was doing. So I told him: It's unfair that no knowledge or effort is necessary to destroy something that requires so much effort and knowledge to be built.

And to my disgust, I have seen that principle repeated everywhere, as it was a fundamental rule of creation. Very much like the Pareto Principle that is also everywhere (Pareto principle - Wikipedia)

So to become a good surgeon and safe people lives, in just one specialty like heart tons of efforts and resources are needed. Years of training. And just one person with a knife or a rock can end that life, even by accident. No training needed.

To help some person to recover from bullying trauma, years of hard work, knowledge and commitment are necessary. Just some ignorant kids are necessary to bully someone until suicide.

For a forest to grow and develop all their biodiversity are needed hundred to thousands of years, and the combined efforts of millions of life beings, from trees to insects to viruses. Just one lightning needed to destroy it all, or a drunk human who forget to properly put out their bonfire.

Companies that take decades to be built can be destroyed by just one bad CEO.

Entire countries can be thrown into poverty by one bad president.

One somewhat random rock falling into the earth can wipe out half of the living species quite casually.

And despite this, we are alive. All this effort against the odds is done everyday by our cells. People still study to build things that may be easily destroyed. Nature keeps trying surge after the forest fire, even adapted to take advantage of the disaster to grow faster.

Countries get rebuilt, traumatized people do continue with their lives and sand castles are built.

That's how it works.

Thank you for reading. :)

Life adapts and carries on. Bad things happen, but more far good happens than bad. Otherwise, the species would have self-destructed long ago. Life would have run down and disappeared. Sometimes bad things happen that are really good things. Most forests need fire. We discount the good because we're more focused on avoiding hurt than on enjoying the day.

I have thought about this before. I have come to the conclusion it’s just our own perception of what the energy creates that has any meaning .

I will also agree with Albert Einstein.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another

New Threads

Top Bottom