• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving

A Chrysler? Eeewww! Haha just kidding. But I'm loyal to Chevy and Pontiac. The American working man's car. You can see my Firebird in my avatar/picture thing

I'm not a particularly unusual driver in terms of driving behavior, but I'd say that I do have some unusual 'Aspie's things' I have behind the wheel. I dunno if they're 'Aspie's things' or 'Me things,' really. On the highway, I nearly always politely make way for people driving way faster than myself, even if they tailgate me. Also, people who don't use their turn signals aggravate the hell out of me. If someone doesn't use their turn signal at an obvious spot, I'll talk to myself at them, like, "THERE ARE THESE THINGS CALLED TURN SIGNALS, THEY WERE INVENTED AT SOME POINT IN TIME, LIKE 1940, OR SOMETHING, AND THEY'RE GREAT TO USE TO AVOID ACCIDENTS!"

A Chrysler? Eeewww! Haha just kidding. But I'm loyal to Chevy and Pontiac. The American working man's car. You can see my Firebird in my avatar/picture thing

Haha ;). I don't like American vehicles much at all to be honest - Japanese and European vehicles are more me :).

I came late to the driving party; learning from my dad would have been a really bad idea because we would have killed each other by the time my test would have come up. Luckily, when I moved to this city I befriended a cop (RIP DB) and learned things properly. I still hate doing it because, honestly, the general public doesn't drive very well. :no: Therefore, the province still allows me to drive though I've not done it in almost a decade. Silly province.

I love to drive. I started driving age 17. I have been 25 years now without an accident. I love road trips. I can drive all day, and not feel bored. It's almost like I get to play a video game while driving. My only complaint is when it rains so hard that the lines in the road seem washed out, or when the snow is falling heavily and I feel like I'm being hypnotized. I can drive when the snow is deep, but I don't like to. I used to have fun with it until one year I realized what sliding sideways can do to your tires, wheels, chassis.... :groan: I don't do that any more. :nah:

I would never drive in NYC. Too many stupid drivers who are trying to kill you and too many jaywalkers trying to get run over...

Buses are awful. I hate them.

Really? I like the bus more than the subway. I think the subway is far more miserable, especially the older trains. Though I guess on the bus, you have to remember to request to stop and not space out...

Well I can't drive I have no license because I am visually impaired, I don't like taking buses but I have no choice. :cute:

I've been driving for almost ten years, (wow, it's really been that long, lol,) and I'm a pretty good driver as far as I know. When learning to drive years ago though I honestly wasn't sure I would be. I learned at the same time as my brother, and for some reason he caught on faster, got better at it quicker, was always more confidant behind the wheel. I caught on quickly enough though and caught up. I passed the road test fine on my second try.

I do consider myself very cautious behind the wheel, and I do second guess certain things, such as changing lanes or whether I'm approaching the right freeway exit, perhaps more than most people would. But I can think fast enough that it's not really a problem. I love driving, but admittedly I like to drive too fast. I can fully understand the others on here though who posted that they do not actually want to drive much. People certainly can be crazy on the roads. I live in an area where there do seem to be a lot of terrible and dangerous drivers out there.

I must say though that finding this topic in here surprised me a bit. I never thought of any issue of connection between AS and driving abilities/capabilities. No reason we shouldn't drive if we choose, and have no other conditions that would make it unwise, of course.

New Threads

Top Bottom