• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't know where to start

ftfipps

Hey guys! Hows it going? I feel like I'm healed from the psych dope enough to think about my future. I think I am intellectually capable of being a filmmaker but I don't know how to get it off the ground.

A guy I revere, is a famous Youtube personality and has been on many podcasts, famous ones. He went to some council, I'm a little hazy on the specifics, and they gave him millions to make a film. That's right, I'm remembering he went to the best film school in the world.

Point is, I have this potential, but I don't know where to start. How would I even get the money to go to film school? I am also an artist and a musician like all of you.

I know I haven't been on here in a year or so, but I was very bad off after they force drugged me the last time. Thanks! x

I'm going to assume you're in the USA. I am also going to assume you have zero family help, like saved funds from parents or grandparents.

College in the USA is dramatically expensive. It shouldn't be this way but it is. All I can recommend is working a lot and saving up, taking out student loans, and / or attending community college the first two years. You can also look in to online college the first two years then transfer. Sometimes online colleges offer flexible payment plans in person colleges do not. Take on artistic commissions between regular work. I did this to buy myself a new truck when my old one was totaled. Using only my art money, I bought a truck in a month.

Consider scholarships too. Not the famous ones that are competitive with a small chance of winning, but lesser known ones. There's some hidden gems out there.

Everything seems to depend on the people you know. If you are not already swimming in those waters then it seems like appropriate credentials with a portfolio of work is necessary. So many careers in various fields seems to depend on that.

Everything seems to depend on the people you know. If you are not already swimming in those waters then it seems like appropriate credentials with a portfolio of work is necessary. So many careers in various fields seems to depend on that.

A lot of times, yes, but there's people that are nobodies with zero followers on twitter that climb Everest and become famous. Na, I don't have a portfolio or anything.

Try googling the film maker courses and see what the entry qualifications are, the costs, and how to apply.

Do you know how to do some of it and have some of the gear you need? You may not have noticed but all of your favorite youtube videos are edited. I have no idea how to do that, but I bet it takes a decent computer system.

Start making videos! I wish you well

[QUOTE="ftfipps, post: 770181, member: 18919"I am also an artist and a musician like all of you.[/QUOTE]lo
I din't know I was an artist and musician, I thought I was an engineer :confused:.

Welcome back to the forums. Hope you break into film making. I suppose you have to work your way up to the point where you will get lot's of money to make a film.

I went to community college for free and then used loans and grants to attend undergraduate school and graduate school.

Thanks people! Please lemme explain. I come off as egotistical sometimes and I certainly can be at times. Maybe it's just my perception but I think people get offended by this and I always noticed it but never actually understood why. I had something happen to me yesterday that I blew completely out of proportion in my mind. I go into fight or flight now and I somewhat shut down. The weird thing is, my cognition gets BETTER afterwards. Like people in wheelchairs are the smartest people on earth because their brains have to beef up due to being handicapped. When I posted that, I then felt attacked on here and It made the situation worse.

[QUOTE="ftfipps, post: 770181, member: 18919"I am also an artist and a musician like all of you.
lo
I din't know I was an artist and musician, I thought I was an engineer :confused:.

Welcome back to the forums. Hope you break into film making. I suppose you have to work your way up to the point where you will get lot's of money to make a film.[/QUOTE]
Thank you!

I have a bit of knowledge in this area. First off: there is no such thing as a "get rich quick" scheme. This is going to take you many years of hard work and you will have to have another source of income while you fund your new adventure...and even then there are no guarantees. You are going to have to put in a LOT of work. But you don't need film school. You can find all you need online. Do you currently know how to edit (ideally something like Premier Pro?). Learn how to edit video and start a YouTube channel and monetize. You said you are an artist and musician: start making videos of yourself. That will be the easiest. You don't need a camera to start, just use your phone. The skill is in the story and the edit (also good audio...invest in a lav mic. They are cheap.) Post as often as you can. Market on all social media outlets. Eventually, you will build a following and start making a few dollars. Use this to buy better equipment and software. Keep refining and improving. Once you get good at editing, you can then subcontract yourself to edit other's videos for some extra cash. It's a long process but it is doable. Just have the right expectation.

Good luck!

@ftfipps ;

If your talking TV/Movie/Commercial I may be able to help. Have worked on/in two movies and a popular TV series years ago-
*If it’s youtube your on your own lol, my movie days go back to pre youtube. I worked on Hudsucker Proxy, The Birds, and Mattlock just to name a few. (Sry to name drop, but nope I’m not jerking your chain)

Also went to school at no cost, figured that out too.

IF YOUR IN AMERICA YOU COULDN’T BE IN A BETTER PLACE TO ADVANCE! Don’t let anyone tell you different, people are spewing anti American things because, bless their heart they just don’t know any better.
(Saw a comment other page that eluded that America was not good? Seriously? Have no idea why anyone would say that? People are dying to come here for a reason)

Again, if your in the states send me a PM I can help. I have 5 years of college and all government paid, no wait - no age limit, and sad to say now days, but your skin doesn’t have to be any certain color so far to get financial help - it’s open to everyone that is an American (the program I’m speaking of).

Don’t be discouraged nor let anyone discourage you - YOU CAN DO THIS! :)

Last edited:

Sadly, a lot of truth to this, but this is how it is in any business right?!

In Movies/TV you will have to do a lot of networking...which is essentially getting into the wrap parties and such. (Not rap in in music). I’ve met Jodi Foster, Nick Nolte, Martin Sheen and Tom Berenger (yum) just a quick thought off the top of my head and the younger folks prolly won’t know who they are lol.

@Amy Stone seems to have the info on youtube, looks like a lot of good advice. Things have changed so much now days.

I have a bit of knowledge in this area. First off: there is no such thing as a "get rich quick" scheme. This is going to take you many years of hard work and you will have to have another source of income while you fund your new adventure...and even then there are no guarantees. You are going to have to put in a LOT of work. But you don't need film school. You can find all you need online. Do you currently know how to edit (ideally something like Premier Pro?). Learn how to edit video and start a YouTube channel and monetize. You said you are an artist and musician: start making videos of yourself. That will be the easiest. You don't need a camera to start, just use your phone. The skill is in the story and the edit (also good audio...invest in a lav mic. They are cheap.) Post as often as you can. Market on all social media outlets. Eventually, you will build a following and start making a few dollars. Use this to buy better equipment and software. Keep refining and improving. Once you get good at editing, you can then subcontract yourself to edit other's videos for some extra cash. It's a long process but it is doable. Just have the right expectation.

Good luck!
Thanks, dear. You are so knowledgeable and that was a fantastic answer. You are right, about the fact there is no get rich quick scheme. I've Never done any of it, actually, I've been on stage and in front of a camera but just modeling work. I don't actually know anyone who was a video editor to my knowledge. It's fantastic because It's independent, ya know? I've actually had the idea of doing something with Youtube and getting monetized. That would be like a full time job if people liked my face, wouldn't it? I will look into premier pro soon. Would that be good for a *somewhat* loner person? I'm not antisocial like I used to be, but I don't seek out interaction, either. I don't have too bad sensory issues.

@ftfipps ;

If your talking TV/Movie/Commercial I may be able to help. Have worked on/in two movies and a popular TV series years ago-
*If it’s youtube your on your own lol, my movie days go back to pre youtube. I worked on Hudsucker Proxy, The Birds, and Mattlock just to name a few. (Sry to name drop, but nope I’m not jerking your chain)

Also went to school at no cost, figured that out too.

IF YOUR IN AMERICA YOU COULDN’T BE IN A BETTER PLACE TO ADVANCE! Don’t let anyone tell you different, people are spewing anti American things because, bless their heart they just don’t know any better.
(Saw a comment other page that eluded that America was not good? Seriously? Have no idea why anyone would say that? People are dying to come here for a reason)

Again, if your in the states send me a PM I can help. I have 5 years of college and all government paid, no wait - no age limit, and sad to say now days, but your skin doesn’t have to be any certain color so far to get financial help - it’s open to everyone that is an American (the program I’m speaking of).

Don’t be discouraged nor let anyone discourage you - YOU CAN DO THIS! :)
I know, America really is great innit? I had that thought recently. All that Anti-America stuff is just scare tactics, bless their hearts. We will talk, and I mean soon. I was awakened last night at 1:30 due to my neighbors, damn fools. I mean, I'm a writer, no question, but I've always used cameras since I was a kid just been in a lull since I was off the wagon for 5 years. Please, when you feel like firing off a pm in a spare moment, please let me know about the program you speak of. I have something in the works almost ready to rip as far as writing.:)

Last edited:
@ftfipps Surprisingly yes. You can do all of the shooting and editing yourself with no contact from the outside. The big question is can you tolerate the troll comments you will get? (everyone gets them) The solution is "block and delete"...but if you don't have thick skin the comments may eat away at you.

Last edited:
@ftfipps Surprisingly yes. You can do all of the shooting and editing yourself with no contact from the outside. The big question is can you tolerate the troll comments you will get? (everyone gets them) The solution is "block and delete"...but if you don't have thick skin the comments may eat away at you.
You are exactly right, sweet dear. You are right, the comments most likely would eat away at me, at least at first. I was aware of this phenomenon you speak of of people getting torn down by trolling comments online. It would be so sweet to be a youtuber, you just post a video each day and that's your job. Like passive income after the initial posting, like that?

New Threads

Top Bottom