• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does this analogy fit you?

Varzar

V.I.P Member
A) istockphoto-638595414-1024x1024 copy.jpg B) istockphoto-638595414-1024x1024 copy.png

This is an analogy I've used with my wife to try and reconcile the differences between how each of us thinks and feels.

Imagine the Red side of the strand represents emotion, and the Blue side represents logic..
Essentially, I feel that NTs are represented by image A. Their emotions and logic are intertwined and inseparable. They can't make logical decisions without consulting emotion at the same time.
Image B I think is a closer representation of myself. Essentially, the two strands are separate. I tend to stay on the logical side unless I'm having some sort of meltdown... The emotions are still always there, but they don't regularly play any role in my day-to-day decision making processes.

What do you think? A or B? And I'm also curious, if B, do you have a dominant side (logic vs. emotion)?

I feel that NTs are represented by image A. Their emotions and logic are intertwined and inseparable. They can't make logical decisions without consulting emotion at the same time.

That's interesting. Mine are quite separate I think but my logic can be driven by emotion.

When seriously emotional or stressed, I have no logic whatsoever. When I calm down, it can take 2 forms, negative or positive. This can easily switch. Saying that, then I guess I have switched off the emotional side to a degree.

Which then again is turned back on by whatever logical approach I have taken!

Frankly double helix images wouldn't have come to mind, separate or bound together.

But hey...that's just me the person. Not me the Aspie. ;)

Though I can see your graphic analogy of how many of us "compartmentalize" our daily lives in comparison. Something that our neurological counterparts don't always appreciate.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for being able to use logic to override emotions I would probably be in prison.

Understandable. Though I've also been involved with a great many discussions with NTs where they didn't appreciate pure logic either. :rolleyes: :confused:

Hume and recently the neuropsychologist Antonio Domasio argue that emotion and reason are contiguous with one another. That rational decision making is predicated on emotional processes, that the distinction between emotion and reason is impossible to maintain. And that in all decisions, emotions are crucial to preference and knowledge and rationalizing all costs and benefits. (Damasio 1994)
I tend to agree.

If it wasn't for being able to use logic to override emotions I would probably be in prison.

Hehe.. Same here. My emotions are not terribly controlled.. so they do "take charge" (usually if I melt down), I pretty much completely lose control.. Losing control of anger can be a dangerous thing..

Hume and recently the neuropsychologist Antonio Domasio argue that emotion and reason are contiguous with one another. That rational decision making is predicated on emotional processes, that the distinction between emotion and reason is impossible to maintain. And that in all decisions, emotions are crucial to preference and knowledge and rationalizing all costs and benefits. (Damasio 1994)
I tend to agree.

Very interesting.. So does that mean you feel A fits you better than B?

A far more eloquent way of saying what I was trying to say.

I am completely logic but somewhere the logic can morph into emotion if you present a cute furry animal. My brain helix shortcircuits then turns into heart emoticons helix. It's a generational adaptation to certain stimuli.

I just recall so many conversations where someone tried to kneecap me because I didn't initially interject emotion into the equation. Timing....my bad. o_O

Last edited:
I tend to agree.
I don't know about that. When programming a PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) there is no "If A > B then freak out." syntax. :)

I feel that I'm constantly fighting my emotions in order to be logical, productive, and healthy, all three of which are threatened by my constant emotional struggles.

So what varies the most from person to person seems to be the strength of the emotional side as well as certain predetermined "triggers" that cause switching. Where strength and triggers determine how & when switching occurs (and conversely, how difficult it is to control the emotional side).

@Mia's is the most different so far.. I'd be really interested if you could describe the interconnection of emotion and logic in your world Mia. I've been trying to imagine what it would mean to append one strand onto the other, and how that would impact thinking/feeling things.. I'm struggling to imagine it.

A)View attachment 59845 B) View attachment 59846

This is an analogy I've used with my wife to try and reconcile the differences between how each of us thinks and feels.

Imagine the Red side of the strand represents emotion, and the Blue side represents logic..
Essentially, I feel that NTs are represented by image A. Their emotions and logic are intertwined and inseparable. They can't make logical decisions without consulting emotion at the same time.
Image B I think is a closer representation of myself. Essentially, the two strands are separate. I tend to stay on the logical side unless I'm having some sort of meltdown... The emotions are still always there, but they don't regularly play any role in my day-to-day decision making processes.

What do you think? A or B? And I'm also curious, if B, do you have a dominant side (logic vs. emotion)?

Yes, B with Logic dominant.

I use both logic and emotion. Depending on my mood, one may be a little dominant over the other, but usually I use both at the same time.

New Threads

Top Bottom