• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

does the diagnosis really explain anything at all?

I understand what you're saying. This is a common criticism of psychiatry. Diagnoses don't explain anything and they don't teach anything, they describe. Diagnoses are descriptions. The purpose of the description is to know which resource to direct you to and medications to prescribe. It also allows researchers to study the description under the umbrella of a single term.

Things with names are less scary. People here are saying they were relieved that they weren't broken necessarily, they just have this thing called "Autism." It's seen as a cause of those related behaviors, and when something has a cause, it feels less shameful and confusing. Rather than deal with ten disparate struggles, you think of all ten struggles as a single struggle, called Autism.

Another benefit is that it connects you with people who have similar struggles, as it has done for you in the case of this forum.
exactly! Thanks for writing this!
What I am refering to is the fact that there are many theories of asperger (or similar diagnoses). The diagnosis never told me why I had difficulties with certain situations. I had to read about theories and talk with people about it. The diagnosis did very little other than telling to talk about something called asperger's. I agree with you that what a diagnosis often do is asking you to see the symptoms as a whole which is good.

The issue can't be treated correctly if the underlying cause is mistaken or is in doubt.
there are at so many theories of this. Many people talk about weak central coherence but other say that it is in fact true that many autistics have a good central coherence. Whom to trust? Who even know the causes of the symptoms?

New Threads

Top Bottom