• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone here do any creative writing?

PinkPenguin29

I've been working on a project that I have been working on during the pandemic, that I have a lot of plans for but don't know how to translate to words, if that makes sense. I have a vivid story in my head but I don't think about in words, I've created a universe in my mind with its own lore and rules, and cast of characters but I've been struggling to put my more recent ideas to words. I don't know if writers block is the write words. I have a rough 5 chapters that I keep changing, and a general outline of what I want to happen in my writing journal, but each time I go to add to my story, I only can think of a few sentences to write, then nothing. does anyone here know what I'm talking about and have some suggestions?

Perhaps start with the outline. Break each chapter down, start, characters development, dilema (s), middle, false resolution or more conflict, final chapters -resolution, etc. Then you can go in and work on what you feel like. When faced with the entirety of the project, it may invoke writer's block.

The legend can be very different than the narrative. The legend tells all, and describes the details. The narrative is the story as written. Perhaps write the legend first. Also the dream board is valuable, it is like a collage

A common technique to get through writer's block is to do a writing exercise in which you simply write everything that comes to mind, and you're not allowed to stop writing.

Another common one is to find prompts online where they give you a couple sentences to base a story on and you just start writing whatever you think of.

I used to do a lot of writing and illustrating, making up my own illustrated "children's books". But I don't now. I don't know why but I'm not very creative anymore. I thought my anxiety or depression made me more creative as a way of coping or escapism, but I haven't really become any more creative or gotten any new hobbies since all the trauma of covid, and it makes me very frustrated. I just feel like a slug.

I've been working on a project that I have been working on during the pandemic, that I have a lot of plans for but don't know how to translate to words, if that makes sense. I have a vivid story in my head but I don't think about in words, I've created a universe in my mind with its own lore and rules, and cast of characters but I've been struggling to put my more recent ideas to words. I don't know if writers block is the write words. I have a rough 5 chapters that I keep changing, and a general outline of what I want to happen in my writing journal, but each time I go to add to my story, I only can think of a few sentences to write, then nothing. does anyone here know what I'm talking about and have some suggestions?

My advice, focus on one character. Break their quest into smaller mini-quests. figure out his/her wants, needs and desires and play on that. If they have to take detours in order to get to their main destination, so be it. That's how real life is: we always have contingency plans. Set obstacles in their road. Most importantly figure out whether they really want what they want. If they want something but they're not sure about it, make them reassess their quest so they fully fathom the cost of such rewards or goals. Also if other characters figure into this quest, they should play secondary to the main protagonist's goal. Figure out whether they are friend or foe. Most importantly, if the hero gets what he/she wants, how will this affect the villain? You should start small and work your way to the bigger picture. Don't worry about the legend or the worldbuilding. Focus on the smaller details. Start from square one: the hero's humble beginnings. Build the hero up. Set routes for the hero. Don't be afraid to get lost. Then work your back and figure out whether this is the best path for the hero. Then readjust the story a little and redirect the story in the direction you think is best.

New Threads

Top Bottom