• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone else have problems with games?

Ariel

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that getting to know someone as a potential partner should be reasonably straight forward. I can't deal with the constant blowing hot and cold, 'hard to get', jealousy tactics and various other 'tests' that people feel the need to employ. Anyone else feel the same?
I didn't think it was an aspie problem but it happens to me every single time and it's starting to look like I'll never have a relationship.

I never ran into these "games" you speak of, and I've actually had quite a few relationships

Sounds like you need to learn how to spot and avoid manipulative personalities regardless of their neurological status.

Sounds like you need to learn how to spot and avoid manipulative personalities regardless of their neurological status.

Perhaps it's a certain type of people someone is attracted to though... and that's when manipulative personalities come with that package.

So yes, I'd say avoid these people, but it might be a lot harder than it sounds.

So yes, I'd say avoid these people, but it might be a lot harder than it sounds.

Good point. Definitely if one has some kind of propensity to be attracted to them in the first place. Not to mention some people's ability to manipulate others. Reminds me of certain well-known criminal, predatory personalities.

Perhaps it's a certain type of people someone is attracted to though... and that's when manipulative personalities come with that package.

I suppose it's hard in a way because I wouldn't know what else to expect: it's all I've known and I've no examples to set against them. They've all been quite different really, just the manipulation in common. :confused:

I suppose it's hard in a way because I wouldn't know what else to expect: it's all I've known and I've no examples to set against them. They've all been quite different really, just the manipulation in common. :confused:

Not everyone plays game with peoples' emotions. However as a self-diagnosed Aspie I'd have to point out that I can run "hot and cold", and absolutely require periods of solitude, completely unrelated to socially interacting with anyone else. Something I would be inclined to explain to a significant other so as to avoid any misunderstandings.

Seems to me the more honest and open people are with each other, the better the chance of their relationship succeeding rather than fail based on petty emotions that remain undiscussed.

Last edited:
I've experienced quite a bit of this as well, especially from the men I've dated. If I don't respond as I'm "supposed to," it seems, then the tests are employed and I wind up even more confused plus upset.

I haven't stuck around for a relationship, but it's disheartening to experience. The less time you spend on them, though, the more time you're available to look for someone better!

I've experienced quite a bit of this as well, especially from the men I've dated. If I don't respond as I'm "supposed to," it seems, then the tests are employed and I wind up even more confused plus upset.

I haven't stuck around for a relationship, but it's disheartening to experience. The less time you spend on them, though, the more time you're available to look for someone better!

Sounds like you have good instincts that will someday pay off for you in a good way. ;)

If you're "tested", that sounds like a good queue to leave.

Yes. My first girlfriend went to extraordinary lengths to try to make me jealous, and got very upset with me when I didn't get jealous.

It is like some people think that if you trust them you mustn't love them enough.

My only suggestion would be to be as straightforward with romantic partners and potential partners as you can be. Be yourself and don't get drawn into their games. If you are uncomfortable with the games someone is playing, tell them or just move on.

My guess is that a lot of NTs probably don't even consciously realise that they are playing games, or that someone is playing games with them. It is just their way of getting to know someone.

It is like some people think that if you trust them you mustn't love them enough.

Interesting comment. Although I don't perceive these as specific Aspie traits, I don't do jealousy or envy. Makes me look back and wonder about some of my relationships, thinking that they might have perceived this as something bad. As if I didn't care enough. Wow...something to think about.

Hey :)

I know all too well what you're talking about, and agree with Judge; there are a few out there who would go out of their way to manipulate you. There may be times when you think this is all that's out there, but it's actually a lot more complex than that.

Being an Aspie, we tend to feel lost in this NT world; like stumbling around in a thick fog. Because of this, we so often trust in others to do right on to us. Unfortunately, this can be detrimental to us. If we don't know how to keep our wits about us, we end up like lambs, wondering aimlessly in to a lions den. This is a trait that appeals to certain 'predators', and attracts them to us, like flies to honey, as we've only made they're job so much easier.

There are many different terms used for them, but the one I'm most familiar with is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Google this if it helps shed some light in what you could potentially be dealing with, but to sum it up, it's almost like being Rapunzel, only your knight in shining armour has the persona of your evil step mum.

I recommend reading Aspergirls, by Rudy Simone; there is a section about what I'm talking about there. You can purchase the book from the online store called the book depository, which offers great discounts, and usually also includes free shipping.

My general advice would be to learn to see the right patterns between your predators; overly charming, or overly nice, wanting to know everything about you and your deepest, darkest secrets early on, being pushy about what they want; even if you don't want it, guilting or manipulating you in to doing what they want.

That hot and cold tactic you referred to is a tool they may be using to drawn you in closer towards them. It is very affective in causing you to feel more desperately in love with them. The way it works is it gets you used to a certain kind of heightened love, which affectively becomes addictive, like a 'drug'. Once you're hooked, they yank it away from you, for no apparent reason, but we don't see this. We think we've done something wrong, and so for the fear that we may loose someone so seemingly good to us, we tell them we are willing to do anything, just to feel that heavenly sense of safety, and comfort once more. We become addicts, and have withdrawals when separated from our newly found addiction. This is what they want. This is how they control you.

Arm yourself with knowledge, and always put your own safety and happiness first. This will better ensure you and your heart are protected.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm the only person who thinks that getting to know someone as a potential partner should be reasonably straight forward. I can't deal with the constant blowing hot and cold, 'hard to get', jealousy tactics and various other 'tests' that people feel the need to employ. Anyone else feel the same?
I didn't think it was an aspie problem but it happens to me every single time and it's starting to look like I'll never have a relationship.

My guess is that a lot of NTs probably don't even consciously realise that they are playing games, or that someone is playing games with them. It is just their way of getting to know someone.

Thank you for saying just what I was trying to say.

I'm realizing that the aforementioned stuff, which we aspies hate, more or less comprises the Game of Love. The feelings, the intentions, the desire, all fine and we are capable of same. The customary manner in which said feelings, etc. are acted upon, greek to us. Bad news, and partial explanation why love is so hard for us to find, and so baffling to us.

Interesting comment. Although I don't perceive these as specific Aspie traits, I don't do jealousy or envy. Makes me look back and wonder about some of my relationships, thinking that they might have perceived this as something bad. As if I didn't care enough. Wow...something to think about.

I'm not too fond of the jealousy game either. I feel it at times, but I work very hard at refusing to be drawn in. I consider any relationship that relies on this tactic unhealthy, and anyone who wields it, toxic and someone to avoid. Like most aspies, I loathe being manipulated, and am unskilled at and uninterested in manipulating others. Better to ask for what you want, and state what's on the table in return. Quid pro quo.

Last edited:
Ugg I hate games! I think we Aspies are like that; we want to feel connected without all the games and fake posturing. For me I've experienced most women online play games. It's disheartening...most reply with a "lol" ...or if I'm lucky enough or witty enough I'll get a whole half sentence...

Meeting offline is a lot better. Once women see me Pirate eyes...oh well...they either like me or call the police... :D

Hey :)

I know all too well what you're talking about, and agree with Judge; there are a few out there who would go out of their way to manipulate you. There may be times when you think this is all that's out there, but it's actually a lot more complex than that.

Being an Aspie, we tend to feel lost in this NT world; like stumbling around in a thick fog. Because of this, we so often trust in others to do right on to us. Unfortunately, this can be detrimental to us. If we don't know how to keep our wits about us, we end up like lambs, wondering aimlessly in to a lions den. This is a trait that appeals to certain 'predators', and attracts them to us, like flies to honey, as we've only made they're job so much easier.

There are many different terms used for them, but the one I'm most familiar with is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Google this if it helps shed some light in what you could potentially be dealing with, but to sum it up, it's almost like being Rapunzel, only your knight in shining armour has the persona of your evil step mum.

I recommend reading Aspergirls, by Rudy Simone; there is a section about what I'm talking about there. You can purchase the book from the online store called the book depository, which offers great discounts, and usually also includes free shipping.

My general advice would be to learn to see the right patterns between your predators; overly charming, or overly nice, wanting to know everything about you and your deepest, darkest secrets early on, being pushy about what they want; even if you don't want it, guilting or manipulating you in to doing what they want.

That hot and cold tactic you referred to is a tool they may be using to drawn you in closer towards them. It is very affective in causing you to feel more desperately in love with them. The way it works is it gets you used to a certain kind of heightened love, which affectively becomes addictive, like a 'drug'. Once you're hooked, they yank it away from you, for no apparent reason, but we don't see this. We think we've done something wrong, and so for the fear that we may loose someone so seemingly good to us, we tell them we are willing to do anything, just to feel that heavenly sense of safety, and comfort once more. We become addicts, and have withdrawals when separated from our newly found addiction. This is what they want. This is how they control you.

Arm yourself with knowledge, and always put your own safety and happiness first. This will better ensure you and your heart are protected.

I hope that helps.

That's great, thanks for your help. I've been manipulated in other areas of life as well and it makes me feel quite stupid. Life's difficult enough for well-meaning people, so it's hard to understand how ill-meaning people: A) Get away with it and B) Cope with the guilt.

That's great, thanks for your help. I've been manipulated in other areas of life as well and it makes me feel quite stupid. Life's difficult enough for well-meaning people, so it's hard to understand how ill-meaning people: A) Get away with it and B) Cope with the guilt.

I'd say the trick to it is they don't feel any guilt...which is the worse part. They get away with it, because it's what they do best. I've got a mother like this, so I've seen her operate up close and personal. You learn quickly to spot it.

Take care of yourself, cause otherwise others may not

I'd say the trick to it is they don't feel any guilt...which is the worse part.

Absolutely. I could actually envision a conversation about this with certain guys and hearing them say, "But that's part of the game!"

Since when are relationships a game, PERIOD? Such a mentality gives me the creeps...as if this was some kind of sport for one's personal amusement. As if it's an accepted aspect of a courting ritual. Far more common than inadvertently making a connection with a sociopath...

Last edited:

This especially!

There is also a subcategory who wants you to nurture their hurt, but uses essentially the same hook tactics and will lash out violently or pick fights if you don't respond as you should. These have been the most common for me. I think they're addicted themselves to the idea of an over-romanticized and highly intense "savior" type relationship.

I'm the contrarian here - I like games, but only if they're fun and harmless. But it's in my personality to enjoy games anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom