• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think streaming sites are going to replace theaters?

Shiznown

Netflix is starting to get its own movies and it already has it's own series. Do you think that netflix and other streaming sites are going to replace movie theaters, like they did video rental stores?

No. You need to remember most new movies starts in the Cinemas. I sure they movie industry will fight very hard to ensure it stay that way as I believe that the way they make the most money.

I like a cinema.
I like the big screen and big sound.
I usually sneak out of work a little early on a weekday. See a movie in a session with perhaps 6 other people in the theater.

It works for me.

That might totally depend on the experience you want I guess.

I like visiting the cinema sometimes. I don't have a large screen at home nor any kind of audio installation a cinema has and that for me is part of the appeal of the movie theatre.

Perhaps for me there's some appeal to it all because I often end up in the cinema with only a handful of people. If I were to live in an area that has a packed cinema every single time, I'd probably find more joy in watching movies at home, even if it were through streaming on my tv instead of a screen that's 30 times larger (or so).

No. You need to remember most new movies starts in the Cinemas. I sure they movie industry will fight very hard to ensure it stay that way as I believe that the way they make the most money.

But On demand services are a thing. Imagine they start charging about the same for new movies as the cinema does?

The best argument against it I have on this would be that if I were to "rent" a new movie at home is that I might have friends over and see a new movie with others rather than everyone paying for a movie on their own like in a movie theatre. And that's what the movie industry will put up as one of the major concerns IMO.

It's not really enforceable unless you were to put laws in effect that brutally would trample over any and all privacy, but those don't apply (yet).

I don't believe changes in technology alone are going to eliminate theaters themselves.

However such rapidly evolving technological trends appear to be forcing smaller independent theaters out of business. Leaving only the corporate multiplexes who can better absorb the present and future fiscal impact.

That might totally depend on the experience you want I guess.

I like visiting the cinema sometimes. I don't have a large screen at home nor any kind of audio installation a cinema has and that for me is part of the appeal of the movie theatre.

Perhaps for me there's some appeal to it all because I often end up in the cinema with only a handful of people. If I were to live in an area that has a packed cinema every single time, I'd probably find more joy in watching movies at home, even if it were through streaming on my tv instead of a screen that's 30 times larger (or so).

But On demand services are a thing. Imagine they start charging about the same for new movies as the cinema does?

The best argument against it I have on this would be that if I were to "rent" a new movie at home is that I might have friends over and see a new movie with others rather than everyone paying for a movie on their own like in a movie theatre. And that's what the movie industry will put up as one of the major concerns IMO.

It's not really enforceable unless you were to put laws in effect that brutally would trample over any and all privacy, but those don't apply (yet).
Though I understand on demand is growing in popularity, I don't see the film industry would anytime soon licence new movies at the cinema and on demand at the same time. At least Hollywood wise.

There one thing no one decided to consider. If new movies was released at the same time at cinema and on demand, the cinema business would decrease which will make many people out of jobs.

However such rapidly evolving technological trends appear to be forcing smaller independent theaters out of business. Leaving only the corporate multiplexes who can better absorb the present and future fiscal impact.
Yes I would find this is a major concern for small independent theaters.

I wish cable and satellite companies would instead take a page from Netflix's book and let us have more flexibility with the channels. I hate sports, I'm not paying $60+ for 1500 sports channels and only three channels I actually want to watch and then have to pay and extra $30 for 500 more sports channels and the only other channel I care to watch.

I second this. Most movies are ranked by how they do in theatres, not their long-standing status. The Princess Bride was actually a really crappy movie if I remember right, and we all know how beloved it has since become. Inconceivable!

I wish cable and satellite companies would instead take a page from Netflix's book and let us have more flexibility with the channels. I hate sports, I'm not paying $60+ for 1500 sports channels and only three channels I actually want to watch and then have to pay and extra $30 for 500 more sports channels and the only other channel I care to watch.
I been downloading or watching streaming content since high speed internet was offered in my area. When I got my first HD TV, the cable company had a trail for 3 months. After that, the bill was $130/month. I canceled the service before they billed me. The TV providers in Canada can't offer what i want anyways as I watch mainly Korean shows. I already pay $90/month for my internet, I don't need a cable or satellite bill to be in more debt. The only reason why my internet cost so much as I have fiber optic wired right to my home. I can download an full HD TV show within 1 to 2 minutes. My internet is also fast enough to support 4K streaming service. I just need a 4K display to take advantage of the technology.

No, because I think people go to theaters for the whole experience, not just for the movie. For example, they can go to movie theaters on a date, when they're not yet at that level of familiarity with the other person to say "Let's just come over to my house and watch something on a streaming site".

I like a cinema.
I like the big screen and big sound.
I usually sneak out of work a little early on a weekday. See a movie in a session with perhaps 6 other people in the theater.

It works for me.

Even with home theaters, I think it's hard to replicate the cinema experience. When I was growing up it was like a mini-event even though you could technically have everything - popcorn, soda, etc - at home. I think I remember promotional snacks for movies, even. Incredibly expensive, but a pair of movie tickets is far less expensive than your own big screen, quality sound system, etc.

I think it also depends on what movies are out there. Maybe The Wolf of Wall Street would be fine at home, but I don't think you'll get the same Effect with Inception or Transformers.

I like having my own home theater system. But absolutely, it's no replacement for the real thing.

I think the major ones won't be able to sustain themselves over the coming decades and will eventually close. When there's a new movie release, the first couple of weeks, all of the profit goes to the movie studios. It's part of their contract with theaters and why concessions are so expensive. Combined with the fact that a lot of major movie releases tend to not be worth renting, it's not good. Unless they're able to change their business model and get better contracts, I just don't think they'll survive.

Personally, I prefer watching at home. I can watch better movies that would never make it to theaters, I can eat better popcorn (kettle is the shiznit), I can have an alcoholic beverage, I can pause whenever I want, and most importantly, I don't have to be in a room full of people (not that would happen these days).

I think the major ones won't be able to sustain themselves over the coming decades and will eventually close. When there's a new movie release, the first couple of weeks, all of the profit goes to the movie studios. It's part of their contract with theaters and why concessions are so expensive. Combined with the fact that a lot of major movie releases tend to not be worth renting, it's not good. Unless they're able to change their business model and get better contracts, I just don't think they'll survive.

Personally, I prefer watching at home. I can watch better movies that would never make it to theaters, I can eat better popcorn (kettle is the shiznit), I can have an alcoholic beverage, I can pause whenever I want, and most importantly, I don't have to be in a room full of people (not that would happen these days).
I remember when I went to see John Wick in theaters. I LOVE that movie, but the theater was so hot, I had to unbutton my flannel shirt. I had no shirt underneath and I almost took my whole shirt off.

I been downloading or watching streaming content since high speed internet was offered in my area. When I got my first HD TV, the cable company had a trail for 3 months. After that, the bill was $130/month. I canceled the service before they billed me. The TV providers in Canada can't offer what i want anyways as I watch mainly Korean shows. I already pay $90/month for my internet, I don't need a cable or satellite bill to be in more debt. The only reason why my internet cost so much as I have fiber optic wired right to my home. I can download an full HD TV show within 1 to 2 minutes. My internet is also fast enough to support 4K streaming service. I just need a 4K display to take advantage of the technology.
Woof, that's expensive! Paying for internet + Netflix & online streaming services is certainly the way to go.

well I cant really see that happening plus over here in NZ our internet is crap plus expensive but then it is cheaper wasting 3-4 GB on your plan then wasting money on
1.fuel (if you're like me and you live far from the local theater)
2. food costs
3. plus the ticket
you would be surprised how much the money adds up.

New Threads

Top Bottom