• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think in pictures?

Do you think in pictures or words?

• I think in Words!

Votes: 37 18.6%
  • I think in Pictures!

Votes: 140 70.4%
  • I have no idea what you mean! (This means you should post a reply to the thread)

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters
I think in pictures and I assumed everyone did until a conversation I had with Nitro on another thread.

When I read a book its more like watching a film as I see the characters an action instantly in my mind. All my recall is image based too, and having had a few hours to mull it over I realise the'speciality' part is my spacial awareness. I drive trucks and fly planes, never get lost and have always 'seen' an overlay of info on the views around me. Thanks to Nitro I'm now reading up on Temple's work.
I very seldom get lost always have a natural sense of where I am

I think in only pictures with a character narrating them at most, different voices or people can be in my head at different times. I don't even have a single inner voice.

I very seldom get lost always have a natural sense of where I am

Same with me in fact my sense of location is so intense it even causes problems. Like there is an area of town I won't even go because it "feels" extremely bad to me location wise and everything in it is uncomfortable simply because it is in that location. I stick around places that to me have better associations that don't evoke feelings of dread and depression for no reason in particular sometimes. I'm a very location obsessed person and a lot of my obsessions are born from association networks. I am completely on foot though because I'm not able to drive. I am the car.

I drive every where, Marie did not know for a while how to get to some family and friends houses after the stroke, as I never used to take the same route twice, boring. She lives by the GPS.

What an interesting question. And I can't answer it!

I do think in pictures when I am planning something. Like going on a trip I see the clothes I will take, the bag I will use and my packing list starts with images in my mind like seeing a tube of tooth paste.

But many thoughts don't have pictures I can relate to those thoughts. And I am not consciously thinking in words. It's more "feeling my thoughts" and the feeling gets translated into words by my mouth or keyboard.

Sometimes it takes me a long time to express my thoughts here because my fingers are typing out words that don't really match my feelings so I have to erase and try again.

Thinking in pictures is a Grandin thing and the title of one of her books. I read that she retracted that part of her memoir as it was written before she realized the neurodiversity within the diagnosis. Pictures are a bit stagnant to describe my mind. When I study, I sometimes build loaded logos. I think they are comparable to evidence-based recall strategies.

Thinking in pictures is a Grandin thing and the title of one of her books. I read that she retracted that part of her memoir as it was written before she realized the neurodiversity within the diagnosis. Pictures are a bit stagnant to describe my mind. When I study, I sometimes build loaded logos. I think they are comparable to evidence-based recall strategies.
Can you explain what you mean? The link you provided lists rather crypic sounding lessons but no real summary as to the purpose.

Can you explain what you mean? The link you provided lists rather crypic sounding lessons but no real summary as to the purpose.

When something catches my curiosity, I search it out. You are the best person to find the explanation that that fits your level of expertise.

Try tags: "recall strategies" and "mneonic strategies".

Happy hunting ;)

Anyone use lucid dreaming?

I wanted a dog cart. I got a pattern, materials, and cut the pieces - but I did not have directions and stopped.

While asleep' I dreamed I was putting it together; one piece at a time. I got to where it didn't work and stopped.

I dreamed the next night and incorporated what I learned. I got farther along and stopped when stymied.

The third night I completed it, woke up, and put it together seamlessly.
upload_2021-8-21_8-26-6.jpeg

News flash: I know it blurry but it gives idea of the complexity, esp the axels, to demo the power of harnessing dreams.

I do not need a map to go some where I can visualize it in my head. sometime when relaxing I will watch re watch a T.V. show in my head.

You are part of a rarified club. apparently only one in 57,000 people have this ability. your moving and swirling appears a bit different. a lot of historical figures had this ability scientists and mathematicians, Einstein liked to use thought experiments, my ability us similar to his, he is much brighter than I am.

Last edited:
I do a little bit of both, I guess. I can focus on aspect of pictures but not the whole thing, usually.

The only thing have learned over the years, is that if I can picture it in my head the picture is seldom wrong I Think Einstein had the same feeling when he came up with the general theory of relativity. He just knew he was aboslutely right and would pass the test of time which it did.

I don't know if this was mentioned. It is interesting to me that there is a condition where people are completely incapable of visualizing. It is called aphantasia. An interesting side effect for some people is that they are less likely to suffer from PTSD. Another thing that is interesting to me is that supposedly vision is somewhat of an illusion. Supposedly, we do not see reality. It seems like some Autistic people prove this assumption wrong. I'm not sure I am on the spectrum. I must be somewhat of an introverted mediocre intellectual with some issues.

Al seeing takes place in the brain, even colour. this why their is no wavlength for purple on th e
eletro magnetic spectrum.

I think in words and images. Sometimes I even come up with random ideas while listening to something else. Also I tend to have extremely random and weird thoughts.

Two nights ago I was visualizing the Covid graph I'm building one point at a time and slowly interpreting what ever pattern meant. my brain spent the whole night mulling over it slowly dissecting the chart.

Sorry if I posted here already, yes I do think in pictures.
I also get abstract art type images in my head when someone talks about something that stirs me, some of the images move.

A constant inner monologue… I have a hard time picturing anything, honestly. My mind’s eye needs glasses! My mind’s ear needs earplugs.

New Threads

Top Bottom