• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Stutter?

Keith

I sometimes stutter when I'm trying to change topics or my response mid-sentence. However, it's sometimes hard to come out of the stuttering and I'm sometimes embarrassed. I think it's because I want to talk about something but my mind wants to think about something else and is forcing my mouth to switch. Does this happen to you?

I only ever stumble over my words when i'm overloaded at work and the register is messing up (i'm a cashier) and i have to call a supervisor over to fix it. Rather than give a clear, coherent reply i stumble from word to word not really able to get out a proper sentence. Somehow they always understand what i'm trying to say. I chalk this up to them being good supervisors and the fact i'm fairly certain one of my coworkers is a diagnosed aspie. Its embarrassing in the moment but i can't help it.

For me, I think because of my language based learning disability, I have trouble trying to convey my message sometimes. It gets to a point a person will just assume I don't know what I'm talking about.

I also stutter sometimes, regardless whether I'm under stress or not (although it helps).

(this probably happens to you also)
I get a mental blockade and stutter when a person asks me a question, and then before I even answer it, the person asks another question. I don't know which question to answer first! Same thing with tasks...

I get a mental blockade and stutter when a person asks me a question, and then before I even answer it, the person asks another question. I don't know which question to answer first! Same thing with tasks...

Me too! Especially if its unexpected, even worse when its a stranger. It happens all the time at work cause I'm a cashier and somehow they expect me to know where everything is! I only know how much stuff costs and what most of the produce codes are and how to ring stuff up not where everything is, that's the shelf stockers' job.

But getting back to what i was saying, its embarrassing when i get asked something especially if me being an aspie i can't figure out what they're asking. Like the other day at work when a customer walked up to me as i was taking over for a coworker - i think he was either going to break or lunch - and asked me if he could buy shopping cards up here. I couldn't figure out if he meant literally, as in if we sold them up front, or if he was asking that and wanting to know if he had to purchase them in customer service (b/c some cards do require that). Even worse my coworker paused when the guy asked that and watched. I ended up pausing, staring, and then stumbling over a hesitant reply of yes we do sell them up here and poorly guesturing over to where they were.

I am more of a stammerer. I have starts and stops, long pauses, incomplete sentences, I'll start a sentence in one way, then finish in another. Loose my train of thought.

My mind works faster that my ability to speak, words fail me, I have a "picture" in my mind of what I want to say, but lack the ability to translate into words. I like precise, accurate speech, I aim for that when speaking, and I often get tripped up by my inability to be fluent.

It is frustrating, happens most when I'm stressed, having to talk about uncomfortable or unfamiliar things, or when being pressed on a subject, say having to talk about a problem with a work project.

It can magically disappear when talking about things I am really interested and excited about, and there are a few people with whom I seem to be able to "speak freely" with.

My husband tells me I stutter and he doesn't because he's using a SATA cable and I haven't upgraded from a parallel yet. ;)

I had a few brilliant ones today. Trying to figure out a horrible mess so me and my grandmother could understand it, and I might as well have had a hit of Novocaine for as limber and functional as my mouth was.

I stutter a bit too
A successful stutter ;)
The Who "My Generation" story
"Roger Daltrey sang the lead vocals with a stutter, which was very unusual. After recording two takes of the song normally, their manager Kit Lambert suggested to Daltrey that he stutter to sound like a British kid on speed. Daltrey recalled to Uncut magazine October 2001: "I have got a stutter. I control it much better now but not in those days. When we were in the studio doing 'My Generation', Kit Lambert came up to me and said 'STUTTER!' I said 'What?' He said 'Stutter the words – it makes it sound like you're pilled' And I said, 'Oh… like I am!' And that's how it happened. It was always in there, it was always suggested with the 'f-f-fade' but the rest of it was improvised."

The Who - My Generation

I stammer, had speech therapy as a child so now it only happens when I'm stressed or on the phone. My dad also stammers, worse than me since he never had speech therapy. Sometimes when I'm really tired or have been stressed for a few days my words get sort of stuck in my throat, so I end up standing there with my mouth open pulling a weird face while I try to force the words out, so embarrassing!

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever stuttered but sometimes I misplace letters in words. .. when I speak, write or read. My son repeats the same word over and over sometimes, after therapy he does it less.

I can relate to all of you stammerers. I now try to slow down and relax during conversation and have found I can talk pretty good if I focus on letting my mouth move at the same rate as my brain. As I got older I'm also more comfortable with people than I used to be so there's less anxiety.

or otherwise just have a hard time verbalizing things?

did you ever watch yourself talk? i know.. it's a weird concept. i just thought of it because i've been doing some random videos here and there for junk. and i realized that the more nervous i am (and more likely to stutter) i end up actually physically holding my mouth back. like.. the crease at your mouth (both sides)... i noticed in videos where i stuttered, that part didn't really move (if at all) but as i relaxed i would start to use that part more... literally just opening my mouth more lol

i was just wondering if anybody else had a similar observation with themselves

For me, it's an excellent sign that I'm having a meltdown. Otherwise, it's not an issue.

Yes when my AS is worse than normal in particular I find my speech can be heavily impacted. Either by not being able to get my words out quickly enough (stuttering), or not being able to speak at all.

Yes, I stutter often. I also speak with my words out of order. I used to have trouble with forgetting how to speak when I was younger.

I stutter when i'm really excited about something. Also during times of conflict. I hate it.. i get stuck on the same word and can't move to another word. Is that what it's like with y'all?

I don't have the classic stutter, but I have involuntary pauses and silences in my speech pattern, generally slow speech and often do not finish sentences before starting the next one. There are times when it all clicks and I can speak clearly, but it's unpredictable.

I absolutely hate to hear my voice recorded.

I don't have the classic stutter, but I have involuntary pauses and silences in my speech pattern, generally slow speech and often do not finish sentences before starting the next one. There are times when it all clicks and I can speak clearly, but it's unpredictable.

I absolutely hate to hear my voice recorded.
I'm the same way. Also sometimes I just trail off; I know I've stopped talking but I can't think of the word.

I don't stutter. If I'm close to a meltdown, my words become garbled, as if I have mouth full of cotton or something, I'm also like that when I first wake up form a deep sleep. I know and think the right words, but it comes out garbled and muffled if I try to speak too soon after I wake up.

I am also bad for having only one word for something or, knowing only one way to say something and, then getting upset when you don't understand what I mean. Really it's frustration with myself but, it comes across as being upset with whomever I'm speaking to.

New Threads

Top Bottom