• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you know what this mean?

Kian

My friend wrote this on her Twitter page that said Always in between wanting to post a lot on social media & wanting to delete all socials & be like that person you went to school with that you think of randomly & hope they’re doing well.

My friend wrote this on her Twitter page that said Always in between wanting to post a lot on social media & wanting to delete all socials & be like that person you went to school with that you think of randomly & hope they’re doing well.

I interpret this to mean that she is torn between:

1) wanting to overshare — step into the spotlight, be vulnerable and risk judgment from the audience;
2) wanting to share nothing — stay safe behind the curtain, maybe create an air of mystery that makes people curious sometimes.

Overexposure or underexposure? All or nothing? Draw attention or deflect attention?

Make sense?

Last edited:
I don't know, either.

Perhaps she is trying to say, the best she can, that she wants to change some aspect of herself or her life or her past or wants something new and different from what she has now. That's just a guess by me.

She is your friend so it would be good to contact her and see if she wants to better explain what she is thinking and feeling. Or just let her know that you're there if she wants to talk about whatever is going on. You're a good friend to try to figure out what she means. It might be insignificant or it could be important.

I interpret this to mean that she is torn between:

1) wanting to overshare — step into the spotlight, be vulnerable and risk judgment from the audience;
2) wanting to share nothing — stay safe behind the curtain, maybe create an air of mystery that makes people curious sometimes.

Overexposure or underexposure? All or nothing? Draw attention or deflect attention?

Make sense?
Ohh ok I thought she was talking about being like someone who doesn’t have any social media

It sounds like she wants to reach out for help or cut everyone off by deleting her social media and isolating herself. I felt like that a lot when I had really bad anxiety a few years back.

Sounds like she is either wanting to over share on social media or have very little or no social media.
All or nothing thinking.

Life can be the same.
Sometimes you want to ramble on and over talk or you don't want anything to do with anybody
and just let them wonder about you.

I can relate. Sometimes I am very social and post often and other times I just want to shut everything down and be anonymous. The being anonymous doesn't last long though. I think I just get worn out being social sometimes and need a break.

@Kian This might be an example of ambivalence: Wavering between two compelling ideas.

"I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view one can entertain simultaneously on the same topic (Abigail Adams)"

So many people feel pressured to commit to ideas. Ideas often end up like Schrodinger's cat: A rigid commitment & lost flexibility. Then there develops territorial defense to opposing ideas. This has turned many a world-renown "scientist" into religious zealots.

I don't know how people put pictures of all their family and share on facebook things about their private lives for all to see, i have an account, but i use it to message someone if i need to in messenger only.

But what does it mean when she said and be like that person you went to school with that you think of randomly and hope they’re doing well?

But what does it mean when she said and be like that person you went to school with that you think of randomly and hope they’re doing well?

Translation:

Many people have the experience of remembering someone from high school, trying to look up that person on the internet, and finding nothing because that person doesn’t have any social media (keeps personal life 100% private).

For instance, every now and then, I will remember someone from high school and do an internet search to see what happened to that person. What is that person doing? Where did they end up in life? If I can’t find anything, I think: “Oh well. Hope they’re doing well.”

This is a common experience. ^^^

So. Sometimes, she wonders if maybe she should be like those people who don’t have any internet fingerprints at all. Other times, she wants to share everything. Every Little Thing = fingerprints all over the place. This is also a common experience…people who share way too much.

She goes back and forth wondering which of these two options is better. She implies that she doesn’t (or can’t seem to) consider a balance, only the extremes of all or nothing. It’s a bit of humor (laughing at herself), but it’s based in truth because hers is a common dilemma for people these days: All or nothing?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom