• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have family/friends who are on the autism spectrum?

One of my nephews is diagnosed. We are positive another nephew, a cousin, and my father have it as well but they haven't been evaluated as of yet.

My Granddad definitely has AS although he is not diagnosed. He used to work in a Ford plant and loves to ramble on about things he's interested in and he definitely takes things literally. When I got diagnosed, my whole family were pretty sure that he also has AS. We have a lot in common and get on really well.

I think my mother told me that her uncle had asperger. No one else in my family have aspergers as far as I know.

My brother has Aspergers, and there's a few others in my family that show significant signs. My boyfriend has it...my Mum's boyfriend seems very Aspergic too. I think we're drawn to Aspie's because we get on better.

I have 3 friends on the spectrum. I know looooaaaads more that I used to be friends with or know vaguely.
There's no-one in my family who has it but there are traits. My grandad mostly, I think he's more aspie-ish than I am, if he was ever diagnosed he would be anyway but he's never heard of it. He's a local celebrity in his area, for better or worse EVERYONE knows him mostly because of his sense of humour and bluntness/opinionated ways. My brother has a some traits and he's probably just on the borderline between normal and spectrum (but not AS-ish though, just something about his personality seems a bit more HFA to me.) He has intense special interests and seems to have a new one every year, this year it's megaman.

When I emailed the list of Aspie traits to my sisters, one of the 2 replied 'I think the Whole Family has it!'. I agree- I've seen those traits in both of my siblings!

I'm certain I have a first cousin on the spectrum. But I haven't seen him in many years.

I think my maternal grandmother was on the autism spectrum. She was never formally diagnosed, though. My parents... no. My father was somewhat socially awkward, but nothing else points to ASD, to the best of my knowledge, so either it was just plain social awkwardness or sub-clinical Asperger's/HFA. But probably the former. My sister is most definitely not autistic.

I don't have any personal friends on the spectrum. There are a couple of people I meet in everyday life who I sometimes think might be on the spectrum, but at other times they do things that make me less certain. Either way, we're not close.

I have had a couple of friends who are probably on the spectrum though undiagnosed. I'm the only one in my family, but one or two family members on my father's side of the family show traits.

New Threads

Top Bottom