• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you get bored easily?

I don’t recall ever being bored as a child. I was lost in my own world. I preferred it there. I would stare at Christmas lights, rock, or whatever for hours at a time. Or I would go outside and climb under this bush which offered perfect cover from the outside world and play with pill bugs or grass snakes.

I do get bored occasionally.
I will try my best to find something interesting or extra depth to a conversation or situation.
Perhaps look at things from a different perspective, look for patterns/connections, find logic or put a bit of an imaginative spin on what I’m observing.

I get frustrated when I’m bored.
In the past I have been particularly unpleasant when frustrated.

I try to avoid reaching that stage of frustration by diverting thoughts, redirecting them somewhere else or setting myself challenges to help keep focus.

It all happens quietly inside my thoughts. It never matters how ridiculous, juvenile or imaginative my thoughts become, nobody will ever know :)
(If I can stop my thoughts racing out of my mouth !)

@Hdphn33 @Misery @LucyPurrs @Sid Delicious Could you please create a separate thread about video games please, and keep this thread on topic?

Ya know, this actually brings up a bit related to boredom somewhat. Which is that I cant focus worth a crap on one thing at a time. Even in conversation. Like someone's nearby talking about something that normally I find interesting, but just that alone isnt enough, so then I start thinking about, I dunno, cheese or something...

My parents used to complain at me all the time about that one. So did every teacher ever (to be fair though, if they want students to pay more attention, maybe they should have been less boring).

Now, if I'm DOING something at the same time (gaming or whatever) as I'm talking to someone, that's another matter. But that's "rude" apparently. One must continuously stare directly at the other person and nothing else. Sigh...

Now, if I'm DOING something at the same time (gaming or whatever) as I'm talking to someone, that's another matter. But that's "rude" apparently. One must continuously stare directly at the other person and nothing else. Sigh...
I sometimes start doing something while talking to someone and I don't consider it rude at all, or I'm looking away, but other people assume that it means that you're not paying attention to them, not listening or ignoring them if you do this. Perhaps it would help to tell them, "I'm doing this, but I AM listening to you".

I'm not very talkative, but my mind wanders a lot and I find it hard to maintain focus on what they are saying. I find it hard to sit through these talking head YouTube videos without wanting to start doing something else, and the same happens when someone is talking to me - my mind wanders or I start to do something else. If someone interrupts when I'm doing something, I do find it annoying - from my perspective, they shouldn't interrupt me when I'm busy.

When I was a little kid it seems all I really needed to keep myself entertained was a pen or pencil and some paper so I could draw cartoons. I wish sometimes that's all that I needed now.

I don't think I've ever really got bored except for during my sulky teenaged phase. The only thing I've ever needed to entertain myself is my own mind. I do find plenty of things boring (normally other people) but it's super easy to just partially check out of whatever is happening and drift off in my thoughts.

Me: Ugh, I'm bored.

Brain: Alright, would you like some ideas?

Me: Yeah, I'd like an idea so then I can go and do something.

Brain: Alright, here's five.

Me: Oh, no, I just wanted one idea.

Brain: You want more? Alright, here's two extra.

Me: What? No! Stop giving me ideas. Especially at 3AM, I'd like to sleep then. How am I supposed to choose which one to go with?

Brain: Try this one.

Me: Alright.

Brain: Hmm, actually you should try the other one.

Me:..OK.

Brain: Perhaps not. Ooo, how about another completely different idea? I got bored of the others.

Me: *Sigh*

It’s a tricky question to answer. If it’s a subject or an activity that I’m strongly interested in, then I cannot get bored from it, even if it might be a little dull to others I’m riveted to the point that it’s hard to turn my attention. If not, I’m not. I’ve always been like this.

New Threads

Top Bottom