• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do some songs give you teary eyes and a runny nose?

Edward764

I don't know whether this is a common symptom of autism, but I have always had a very strong emotional reaction to certain songs, or more recently, certain music videos.
I consider this strong reaction a blessing, since some songs give me such an emotional high that I have never been tempted to take any mood altering drugs. Powerful music is my drug.

The term I use to describe these songs is " very expressive". There is something about the music that makes me cry tears of appreciation due to the power, beauty, and expressive quality of the music.
The lyrics do not matter as much as the instrumental quality and vocal tones presented.

A few of the videos that get me on this musical high are:

In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel, the 2003 Milan Italy version. I can't get enough of this video.

Others are.

Roll with the Changes by REO Speedwagon, Live 2010

Comfortably Numb by David Gilmour, the 2016 Live at Pompeii version,

Fools Overture by Rodger Hodgson,

Blue Sky. Allman Brothers Germany 1991

Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler. and there are dozens more.

Conversely, there are some songs that have no emotional effect on me at all, and I find them to have no entertainment value. Many consider these as great songs, and I apologize if these are among your favorites. a few of these " unexpressive" songs are:

Cisco Kid by War
Beautiful by Christina Aguilar,
and Black Magic Woman by Santana.

I wonder what makes some songs so expressive and others so unexpressive in my view?

I know it is subjective, since many people likely prefer those that are unexpressive for me.

Maybe others can share their reaction to certain songs.

Last edited:
Almost every day at least once. The most recent culprits are the ones below, but generally it's with songs that remind me of something specific in my past.

I don't know whether this is a common symptom of autism, but I have always had a very strong emotional reaction to certain songs, or more recently, certain music videos.
I consider this strong reaction a blessing, since some songs give me such an emotional high that I have never been tempted to take any mood altering drugs. Powerful music is my drug.

The term I use to describe these songs is " very expressive". There is something about the music that makes me cry tears of appreciation due to the power, beauty, and expressive quality of the music.
The lyrics do not matter as much as the instrumental quality and vocal tones presented.

A few of the videos that get me on this musical high are:

In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel, the 2003 Milan Italy version. I can't get enough of this video.

Others are.

Roll with the Changes by REO Speedwagon, Live 2010

Comfortably Numb by David Gilmour, the 2016 Live at Pompeii version,

Fools Overture by Rodger Hodgson,

Blue Sky. Allman Brothers Germany 1991

Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler. and there are dozens more.

Conversely, there are some songs that have no emotional effect on me at all, and I find them to have no entertainment value. Many consider these as great songs, and I apologize if these are among your favorites. a few of these " unexpressive" songs are:

Cisco Kid by War
Beautiful by Christina Aguilar,
and Black Magic Woman by Santana.

I wonder what makes some songs so expressive and others so unexpressive in my view?

I know it is subjective, since many people likely prefer those that are unexpressive for me.

Maybe others can share their reaction to certain songs.
We share some common musical interests. For me it's Solsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel, Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper Coming Back to Life by Pink Floyd and Wings for Marie by Tool. Zombie by The Cranberries gets me too. I don't just get teary eyed, I straight up cry. I also get choked up when I try to sing. Silent Night always made my mom cry. Not sure if it's an autistic thing or not but certain songs have always tugged on my heart strings.

Well, I don't know about a runny nose. But I do "feel" a lot of music. Mostly classic rock, particularly Pink Floyd.

I accompany a choir of elderly folks who all lost their husbands in combat and this was their first song as a choir and they recorded it in a studio and it's the sweetest, most sentimental thing you'd ever seen.
Yeah. Goosebumps here.

New Threads

Top Bottom