• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dissertation Research AQ Test

S0093679

Hi all

I am looking for participants (you :)) to take this survey. It is the AQ test, which many of you will recognise. By taking the survey you are contributing to my dissertation project, the aim of which is to investigate Asperger Disorder traits in both formally diagnosed aspies and also in non aspies, including participants who are anywhere on the spectrum as well as those with no diagnosis at all. I am also investigating the potential for misdiagnosis or non-diagnosis by assessing the validity of the AQ test.

All participants are welcome, regardless of diagnosis.

I welcome all comments. Please discuss them with me by private message or use the email facility on the questionnaire to contact me.

Your contribution is valuable so thank you for your time and I wish you all the best :)

I couldn't do the test through the link - some server error.
I scored 45 when i did e test, and I am on the road to diagnosis.

Some details I'm noticing in the test that are missing is a little bit of situational context such as
"I find it difficult to work out people's intentions." can be dependant on if it's an in person interaction or a textual one such as online. For myself and I've noticed a good few others, it's sometimes easier to figure out a person's behavior from behind the screen where we have time to stop and analyze what's being said and go over in our heads the different contexts that it can be taken in. Sometimes even better than the average person can face to face.
Secondly, these things usually have a middle ground option for the answer of "indifferent" or "don't feel strongly either way" that could be used for some.

Some details I'm noticing in the test that are missing is a little bit of situational context such as
"I find it difficult to work out people's intentions." can be dependant on if it's an in person interaction or a textual one such as online. For myself and I've noticed a good few others, it's sometimes easier to figure out a person's behavior from behind the screen where we have time to stop and analyze what's being said and go over in our heads the different contexts that it can be taken in. Sometimes even better than the average person can face to face.
Secondly, these things usually have a middle ground option for the answer of "indifferent" or "don't feel strongly either way" that could be used for some.

Hi
I agree completely, and these are some of the comments I will be discussing in my research. The questionnaire was designed in 2002 by Simon Baron-Cohen. Much of my discussion will focus on the inadequacy of the questionnaire. Thank you for your interest :)

Hi
I agree completely, and these are some of the comments I will be discussing in my research. The questionnaire was designed in 2002 by Simon Baron-Cohen. Much of my discussion will focus on the inadequacy of the questionnaire. Thank you for your interest :)

Yeah, Baron-Cohen is a person I have a lot of respect for, even if his theory of autism is skewed slightly. His first theory is that we don't understand that everyone else in the world isn't a mind-reader and doesn't think like us. Considering I worked that out at a very young age, my autism would be cured by that logic.
But his work is appreciated. And the AQ test, though not perfect, is not a half bad indicator of your likelihood of being on the spectrum.

In my honest opinion, I think the "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" terms used in respect to ASDs are superficial. It isn't one-dimensional like most people would think. And that really needs to get out there.

New Threads

Top Bottom