• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dietary deficiencies and supplementation

My melamine soup bowls came from Dollar Tree! They're plain white and not fancy at all but they're deep enough to be hard to spill and I love them.

For microwave plates I finally went with corelle (glass). They're really thin, light and strong. (The only microwave safe plastic ones I could find had time limits on microwaving that are shorter than what I use for reheating food.)

I just looked at Corelle and it looks like I can find the size I need but it is so expensive, $40 for one bowl. Interesting material. I had not heard of it. Maybe I will change my mind but I drop things a lot. Plastic isn't nice but I don't worry about it. Corelle does look nice though. I will have to think about it. Thank you for telling me abut it.

I just looked at Corelle and it looks like I can find the size I need but it is so expensive, $40 for one bowl. Interesting material. I had not heard of it. Maybe I will change my mind but I drop things a lot. Plastic isn't nice but I don't worry about it. Corelle does look nice though. I will have to think about it. Thank you for telling me abut it.

Keep looking, especially if you're not picky about color/pattern - prices are all over the board, especially on Amazon. (I got plain white square plates...they were about $25 for six plates, as opposed to the round one that was listed at $25 for one.)

If you only want one or two, check eBay as well. Corelle has been around for years, it's a popular material. I grew up with Corelle dishes. It's durable, but not unbreakable. I've seen it BOUNCE off of a linoleum floor, but I've also seen it explode on impact. It's kind of like a Prince Rupert's drop lol. Hit it just right and it explodes. The rest of the time you can't break the stuff.

Keep looking, especially if you're not picky about color/pattern - prices are all over the board, especially on Amazon. (I got plain white square plates...they were about $25 for six plates, as opposed to the round one that was listed at $25 for one.)

If you only want one or two, check eBay as well. Corelle has been around for years, it's a popular material. I grew up with Corelle dishes. It's durable, but not unbreakable. I've seen it BOUNCE off of a linoleum floor, but I've also seen it explode on impact. It's kind of like a Prince Rupert's drop lol. Hit it just right and it explodes. The rest of the time you can't break the stuff.

I had not heard of a Prince Rupert's drop. I looked it up. Fascinating.

Something occurred to me while I was thinking about getting something made with Corelle, the noise. It's a glass so I think I would be back to the noise problem. Still curious about it though.

I did a lot more searching on Amazon today. I just want to find a light sturdy plastic bowl at least 10"x3" or 4" . I will be happy when I find it. Trying not to buy something unless my confidence is high I found the right thing. I hate wasting money buying lots of the wrong stuff while trying to get the right one. I'm annoyed with the bamboo utensils I got a few days ago. I can't think of anything I can use them for so that money is gone and I've got more stuff filling my place up. I guess experimenting is the only way.

So glad your Dollar Store plates arrived. It's such great feeling when you get something the works just right.

So glad your Dollar Store plates arrived. It's such great feeling when you get something the works just right.

The dish set actually came from Amazon - their Amazon Basics brand and they seem pretty decent for the price. The soup bowls I got a couple years ago came from Dollar Tree. They're great! Decent size too. Maybe check if they still have them? Or search for ramen bowls. There are all kinds, they tend to be on the bigger side and melamine is popular.

The dish set actually came from Amazon - their Amazon Basics brand and they seem pretty decent for the price. The soup bowls I got a couple years ago came from Dollar Tree. They're great! Decent size too. Maybe check if they still have them? Or search for ramen bowls. There are all kinds, they tend to be on the bigger side and melamine is popular.

Searching for ramen bowls is a good idea, I had not thought of that, thank you. I am going to do that right now.

Update: I'm really loving Huel and using it most days for lunch. I've figured it out - 600 calories is perfect for lunch - I stay full until my break time at 4PM. 400 calories (their standard "meal" size) is just not enough.

I like that it's nutritionally complete and super easy to figure out how many calories I'm getting/I need (I can adjust depending on my needs...quick snack? One scoop. Full meal? 3 scoops. In between? Two scoops.)

Update: I'm really loving Huel and using it most days for lunch. I've figured it out - 600 calories is perfect for lunch - I stay full until my break time at 4PM. 400 calories (their standard "meal" size) is just not enough.

I like that it's nutritionally complete and super easy to figure out how many calories I'm getting/I need (I can adjust depending on my needs...quick snack? One scoop. Full meal? 3 scoops. In between? Two scoops.)

Thank you for the update. It really helps to know it's working out for you. It makes me want to try it. I am still deciding. I have to finish up some things I have now before I can.

Thank you for the update. It really helps to know it's working out for you. It makes me want to try it. I am still deciding. I have to finish up some things I have now before I can.

It surprised me, but I actually find that I'm craving it now - I look forward to it every day. I like the shakes better than the hot version, though both are very good (I don't look forward to the hot version like I do the shakes).

It works out great because it's a) complete nutrition b) inexpensive (per meal) and c) easy to make/clean up. So it ticks all the boxes for me and prevents me from just eating absolute junk with almost no nutritional value just because it's convenient.

It surprised me, but I actually find that I'm craving it now - I look forward to it every day. I like the shakes better than the hot version, though both are very good (I don't look forward to the hot version like I do the shakes).

It works out great because it's a) complete nutrition b) inexpensive (per meal) and c) easy to make/clean up. So it ticks all the boxes for me and prevents me from just eating absolute junk with almost no nutritional value just because it's convenient.

This is great. I am so glad it is working out for you. Those are all the things I want too. Would you tell me what the cost is per meal for the liquid? I would like to know how to budget it.

I have two tubs of protein powder to finish up before I can think about using Huel.

This is great. I am so glad it is working out for you. Those are all the things I want too. Would you tell me what the cost is per meal for the liquid? I would like to know how to budget it.

I have two tubs of protein powder to finish up before I can think about using Huel.

According to Huel's website, the original powder is $1.91/meal (if you follow their recommendation for a 400 calorie serving). You do have to buy at least two bags though, so initial cost is fairly high.

According to Huel's website, the original powder is $1.91/meal (if you follow their recommendation for a 400 calorie serving). You do have to buy at least two bags though, so initial cost is fairly high.

I just found it on the website, Huel Powder v3.0. $1.91/meal.

Everything about it sounds great. I do not like spending so much on something I do not know will work but I like all the numbers. The salted caramel sounds good. I usually use vanilla because it's the safest but I would like to try something else.

What flavors do you like? Do I mix the powder with water?

I just found it on the website, Huel Powder v3.0. $1.91/meal.

Everything about it sounds great. I do not like spending so much on something I do not know will work but I like all the numbers. The salted caramel sounds good. I usually use vanilla because it's the safest but I would like to try something else.

What flavors do you like? Do I mix the powder with water?

So far I've only tried the vanilla and berry, and both are good. I also got the flavor boost sample pack (offered as an add on when you're ordering) and I really loved the banana, so I'm going to order banana powder next time.

Yes, you mix it with water. It DOES mix clumpy...several users recommend getting a stick blender (immersion blender) but I haven't done that yet. The blender sure would be useful for a lot of things, but I don't like the idea of having to buy an extra thing in order to make it work, so I haven't taken the plunge yet. I probably will. I do have one of those blenders that are specifically for single serve smoothies, but since I'm mixing bigger servings I think it's too small.

So far I've only tried the vanilla and berry, and both are good. I also got the flavor boost sample pack (offered as an add on when you're ordering) and I really loved the banana, so I'm going to order banana powder next time.

Yes, you mix it with water. It DOES mix clumpy...several users recommend getting a stick blender (immersion blender) but I haven't done that yet. The blender sure would be useful for a lot of things, but I don't like the idea of having to buy an extra thing in order to make it work, so I haven't taken the plunge yet. I probably will. I do have one of those blenders that are specifically for single serve smoothies, but since I'm mixing bigger servings I think it's too small.

Thank you for giving me so much information, it really helps.

Update again: replacing my really crap diet (pasta or ramen every day for lunch unless I have TV dinners) with Huel (nutritionally complete) has made a HUGE difference in how I feel, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all by eating shakes for lunch most days.

I'm so glad I decided to work with my dysfunction instead of trying to change it. In the past I always tried to make changes by focusing on cooking etc. and it never worked for more than a month or two.

Realizing I can work with the dysfunction and make positive changes without having to go against my nature is a definite game changer.

Update again: replacing my really crap diet (pasta or ramen every day for lunch unless I have TV dinners) with Huel (nutritionally complete) has made a HUGE difference in how I feel, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all by eating shakes for lunch most days.

I'm so glad I decided to work with my dysfunction instead of trying to change it. In the past I always tried to make changes by focusing on cooking etc. and it never worked for more than a month or two.

Realizing I can work with the dysfunction and make positive changes without having to go against my nature is a definite game changer.

I am glad you feel better. I tried and I could not go a whole day only drinking shakes. I seemed to need something solid too. I am working on it.

I am glad you feel better. I tried and I could not go a whole day only drinking shakes. I seemed to need something solid too. I am working on it.

Oh, I'm not only drinking shakes - I eat dinner. I have only ever regularly eaten two meals a day, so I have the shake for lunch. I'm still eating dinner.

Oh, I'm not only drinking shakes - I eat dinner. I have only ever regularly eaten two meals a day, so I have the shake for lunch. I'm still eating dinner.

This helps me to know. I thought there was something wrong with me because I could not just do liquid. For so long I have idealized just drinking my food but it didn't seem like I thought. Something in me seemed to need something solid to eat too. But I only tried for a day. Maybe I could get better at it.

For a little while I was having oatmeal, prunes, walnuts and protein shake three times a day. I didn't mind that, I kind of liked it. I am having a problem giving up sweets though. I did it once before and it was great but then I got a new girlfriend and she wanted to feed me things I had stopped eating and it started me on them again.

I hope you are doing well.

New Threads

Top Bottom