• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did you have childhood problems?

carbon12

Utterly obssessed/uninterested
Family misunderstandings? Unstable friendships? Bullying target?
At some point or another, I've been through all of these.
What's your story?

Childhood problems I have that my father placed in in a foster home and never claim be back.

I had a few people bully me, but was not extreme compare to other people I know.

I was bullied a bit in elementary and middle school, and I never actually had any stable friendships outside of online stuff.

I was physically abused by teachers and TA's at KAEC for second grade. Then in third grade, the same behavior was permitted of a teacher in a "satelite classroom," which was basically KAEC in one room of a typical elementary school and some of us were allowed to attend mainstream classes. The abuse continued through middle school, even after I was in a mainstream classroom full time.

I also was molested once on the bus by another student. I relived the experience very painfully one night in 2008 or 2009 while I was tripping acid--which is something you should never do alone, by the way, and today I am dubious of it even with people around. Afterwards, I was just a little less angry and hateful. I'd been repressing the memory for years. This is also around the time my mental health started to take a turn for the better, though it remained lousy and I had a major setback from yet another trauma (an attempt on my life in 2011)

I think my treatment as a child also lead to me being beaten and terrorized as an adult by someone I tolerated for over seven years. This is also the person who got me into doing drugs, even though I hated them all on principle from spending my early life medicated. I didn't understand that I had the right to be left alone if that was what I wanted, or to refuse to consent to someone hanging out with me. Or to try and hang out with someone that I wanted to and who might also want me around if I just asked. In many ways, I am still learning.

Yes ,i was bullied a lot and no friends even now i have no friends
only people who care about me is my husband and my family
abused by friends of the family

I had no friends and didn't go out much. Things were OK with my parents but I was lonely. I wasn't bullied, just teased a bit.

I had a pretty hard childhood,I was bullied badly at school,my dad was a heavy drinker and use to mentally abuse me and my brothers,though my oldest brother left home early so it was my other brother and I who got the worst of it,we were constantly evicted from homes because my parents stopped paying rent,I struggled to keep friends and to this day I don't have any friends of my own,I still have nightmares about my childhood among other things that happened to me but it's something that still affects me to this day.

I was physically abused by teachers and TA's at KAEC for second grade. Then in third grade, the same behavior was permitted of a teacher in a "satelite classroom," which was basically KAEC in one room of a typical elementary school and some of us were allowed to attend mainstream classes. The abuse continued through middle school, even after I was in a mainstream classroom full time.

I also was molested once on the bus by another student. I relived the experience very painfully one night in 2008 or 2009 while I was tripping acid--which is something you should never do alone, by the way, and today I am dubious of it even with people around. Afterwards, I was just a little less angry and hateful. I'd been repressing the memory for years. This is also around the time my mental health started to take a turn for the better, though it remained lousy and I had a major setback from yet another trauma (an attempt on my life in 2011)

I think my treatment as a child also lead to me being beaten and terrorized as an adult by someone I tolerated for over seven years. This is also the person who got me into doing drugs, even though I hated them all on principle from spending my early life medicated. I didn't understand that I had the right to be left alone if that was what I wanted, or to refuse to consent to someone hanging out with me. Or to try and hang out with someone that I wanted to and who might also want me around if I just asked. In many ways, I am still learning.

Holy moses, you'd been to hell and back. The school permitted teachers to hit you or smack you around, or was it done on the sly? Did your family ever find out, or didn't they care, either?

I hope you have a supprotive network now, some good friends and maybe a decent therapist. That kid who molested you is likely to be still preying on people.

Cognitive, motor and speech delays, no friends. Nothing I couldn't handle, at school, anyway. Home was another ball game.

I learnt from an early age that adults couldn't be trusted, because their primary hobby is gossiping, especially if they were figures of authority. Only later did I learn most kids' hobby was gossiping, too. I didn't get 'found out' or 'dobbed on' by some well-meaning person, however, but my siblings did, and they of course got punished, and I was supposed to be the dumb one.

I remember my older sister getting dobbed on by a priest after Confession, and of course, she got into big, WWIII-worthy TROUBLE. She told us younger siblings to trust no one, which only reinforced my distrust and caution. At the same time, I was scratching my head, wondering why she trusted a priest. A priest is an adult, hence, untrustworthy. Confession was irrelevant. (I still go, but I'm an adult=my terms, now.)

My speech therapist wanted me to write a diary when I was about ten. I thought, 'are you kidding me?' and took the task literally. It helps when people think you're dumb; you can outhink them, and they won't even notice.

The way I saw it, adults were the problem, not me. Not my fault they can't control themselves, gossip, and worry about what other people would think all the time.

Yes, I had childhood problems, though not as bad as some people - bullying, very difficult relationship with my sister, behavioural problems and bad grades at school in earlier childhood, depression, loneliness.

I did have a lot of childhood problems. Though for some reason I always prefer not to describe them in-depth. Other than that, I also found it hard to make friends back then, and I did go through bullying too.

I was always able to make friends, that was never a problem.

My biggest issue growing up was with my parents. They kept wanting t me to do certaint hings that I just couldn't do and they were extremely protective.

Holy moses, you'd been to hell and back. The school permitted teachers to hit you or smack you around, or was it done on the sly? Did your family ever find out, or didn't they care, either?

Actually it was restraint instead of hitting. I was also once put into a seclusion room. My mother intervened as much as she could to reduce it and she got me into the mainstream classroom. It didn't really stop for me until I was taken off of all medications. It still goes on for other people.

I'm sorry, man, that sounds horrible. I was so embarrassed that I never told my family- Couldn't imagine what that'd be like in public. Did the acid trip help to ease anything?
Mostly just helped me recognize it. My brain was so messed up that the usual ways I got away from remembering it didn't work. It was as if it was really happening again. But once it was over I felt like I was washed out, somehow. There had been something terrible inside of me and all of a sudden it was gone. I was still pretty messed up, of course, but all of a sudden there were things about myself that I could understand better.

My parents were pillars of the community and they forced me into situations that would cause me to stim. When I did stim, I would be punished for my behaviours. I was also tall and thin. So I was called names and bullied. I was also molested by a family member and another family member shielded the first. I endured it for seven years before I realized I could fight back.

Before I was diagnosed, my mother would buy me these frilly dresses and other uncomfortable clothes. They bothered my skin and I'd get sent to my room for refusing to wear them.

At home I was the target of my brother's ADHD mood swings and outbursts. I had a speech delay until the age of four and when I went to mainstream school I was bullied a bit, was also a bit of an outcast because I talked differently to the other children. I had friends for the most part so I was able to deal with it but it wasn't exactly easy.

Yeah, family misunderstood me to the point I legally divorced my parents, before they could formally disown me.

I was bullied, still remember the names I was called - funny now but at the time they were horrible.

I had friends, the outcasts, people no one wanted. Yeah well, of the six I was closest to in High School, five of us are doing very well in the entertainment industry so, even then I was seeking out my own, I just didn't know it.

New Threads

Top Bottom