• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did everyone skip 80's nostalgia?

Bet the sounds of him transforming back and forth would have given your parents a headache, though. :D
Yes for sure , but not me I love that sound it’s the same sound from the original cartoon ! I can listen to that sound over and over

Last edited:
I was in high school in the '80s and enjoyed my time there, but the only thing that I miss is the rock music of the era, what we called "hard rock" or "metal". The rest of it, clothing, cars, hair styles, etc., most of it has no redeeming value for me. There are things that I think we need to go back to, like less controlling parents/more childhood independence, an emphasis on "proper manners" and "politeness", people not being afraid of everything (thanks mainstream media), no social media, the minority "lunatic fringe" didn't have a voice over the majority and override the national conversation, we never spoke of politics and religion openly, we had a mental health system that was funded, for better or worse, we didn't have a homeless epidemic, we could drink clean water from our taps, etc. On the other hand, we were openly racist, freely discriminated and marginalized people. I am not a "nostalgic" kind of person, nor reminisce about the "good 'ol days", as things were/are better and worse then and now. It's just different.

I don't know exactly how things are going over there but there was a big discussion about this here where I live recently and everyone agreed that things are much worse here now than it was just 30-40 years ago. It really is amazing how downhill things have gone. We have problems here now we never thought could happen here. It's a shame, things were going so well. This country was known as "Europes poorhouse" back in the day but from 1950 to 1980 things were loking better and better, we worked our way upwards. A lof of nostalgia these days. It's obvious what the problem is, but I can't talk about that, it's politics. But it really is a shame. :disappointed:
Yes, we can definitely look at things from a "glass half empty" perspective.

"There are things that I think we need to go back to, like less controlling parents/more childhood independence, an emphasis on "proper manners" and "politeness", people not being afraid of everything (thanks mainstream media), no social media, the minority "lunatic fringe" didn't have a voice over the majority and override the national conversation, we never spoke of politics and religion openly, we had a mental health system that was funded, for better or worse, we didn't have a homeless epidemic, we could drink clean water from our taps, etc."

I think things are much more difficult, overall, for people. The disparity between the "haves" and the "have nots" has widened for sure. How much money you have to make to be in the top 1% in different countries around the world

My wife and I don't make anywhere near that kind of money, but at the same time, we have enough cash flow to live comfortably and not worry about paying monthly bills, etc. Our kids are grown and on their own, we are only living on about 50% of our take-home income and putting the rest into investments, retirement, etc. So, things aren't that bad for us. However, nationwide, globally, I think you are correct, things are not getting better on many fronts.

I have these conversations in my head rather frequently lately, as my wife and I are saving money for retirement, designing our off-grid home out in the countryside, looking forward to travel, etc. On one hand, I don't want to be reliant upon utility companies, or people, for that matter. I don't want to be around people, in general. On the other hand, I want to be able to travel and visit all the great places around the world and experience things. There is so much to think about, and often my mind is 10-15 years into the future, planning, goal setting, but things are also changing on an exponential curve and many of these plans are also in a bit of "chaotic flux" as the political, social, and economic landscape is changing. This is why one of my main goals is to be "off grid" in more ways than one. The world doesn't scare me, per se, but I see it more of a "frustrating, disappointing, pain in the butt", and the less I have to deal with the political, social, and economic world around me, the less stress and more happiness I will have.

Last edited:
I daily a '94 Ford pickup. The headers are cracked and leak, the steering has a dead spot in it where it feels like it's not connected, the shocks barely do anything because the springs are so stiff, and it sucks to drive downtown because it's slower than everyone else wants to go. I'm always getting tailgated and passed because it physically cannot accelerate like anything can today. I do like the truck, but it's a handful and I kinda cringe when people compliment me on it. Like, you wouldn't like it if you dailied it for a while - carry on with your hipster fantasy elsewhere.

My dad has one of these - literally that car. It's maroon with a flathead six and a three on the tree. He also has a '66 Dodge Charger small block automatic. Apparently I'm supposed to inherit these, but I can't honestly say I'm excited about that.

Have you ever driven one of these? They are more complex than they look and are loud and uncomfortable. They require a lot of effort to drive and can be unruly. They aren't really quaint.
In 1980, I got a VW Rabbit, the worst car I ever owned. Between the fuel pump relay glitching out and the CV-U joint, that car left me stranded many times. After a year I got a Camry.

The best old car I have is a 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder. At 2000 lb it is lively, well balanced, and with Corolla parts readily available is cheap to maintain. I have taken it to track days where it is a joy to drive.

I guess you all are right: eighties nostalgia has not been skipped and is a healthy part of culture.

After some digging and thought I realized I hadn't "missed" eighties nostalgia, it had missed me. These days marketing is instantaneous and targeted with no limits on who can see what ads. Instead of broad social fads affecting everyone at the same time, individuals can be sold whatever their search history indicates. So, nostalgia doesn't come and go generationally anymore, instead it is all available at once and can be indulged in simultaneously by the populace. This makes it hard to discern any legitimate signs of nostalgic behavior if you aren't looking for it or participating in it.

I'll add, quite a lot of modern/recent music have a lot of retro 80's vibes.. there have been many times where I'll hear a song for the first time and think it was from the 80's only to find out it's recent. Synth-pop is still very much alive.
Added: listening to one right now.. any song by Prinze George.

Last edited:
If people have a real hankering for 1980's nostalgia, can I suggest you just come to visit us in NZ and travel 10km out of Auckland or Wellington and it's like a giant scale 1980s theme park :D:D:D

If by skip, you mean grew hockey mullet for 9 months to win best costume at an '80s fest, then yes.

Attachments

• 2012-04-21 19.44.24-1.jpg
    2012-04-21 19.44.24-1.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 31

New Threads

Top Bottom