• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Diagnosis

FireandShadows

Umm, I'm currently somewhere in the beginning of being officially diagnosed with Aspergers (I'm 16) and quite frankly I'm terrified about what's going to happen because I don't know. *wonders if that sentence made any sense* Basically, I was wondering if anyone would like to be awesome and give me some ideas on what to expect.

I can't comment too much since I've never been through the process, but from what I've heard, being diagnosed as a teenager is more or less the worst time - sometimes they will try and feed you the whole 'oh its just hormones' crap, I guess it must be worse for girls. Don't mean to put you off though. I'll let someone else give you a more detailed account. :p

*Willow's cue...*

While I was being diagnosed, I was given a variety of both mental and physical tests. For mental, think along the lines of "Here are some blocks. Recreate the pattern in this picture". You may also be asked things like "Put these into a category: Aluminium, Titanium and Steel". As for physical, it was stuff like "Stamp your feet and hit the drum at the same time" (which I couldn't do, by the way XD). I didn't find it daunting really. Just take it as it comes and they should be able to accurately diagnose you in the end. If I remember correctly, it took a few months to complete.

So yeah, nothing to worry about. :D

Its more or less alot of test that shows what you really good at and what you are really bad at.

you will still be you. But with abit more knowledge of how you function and abit why . Thats how I see it.

Erm. Yeah I got thrown the whole 'it's just your hormones' stuff. To be honest, my diagnosis is still incomplete, at the moment it's 'Autistic Spectrum Disorder' but I've seen SO many people now it's just stupid. A few reports that I have mention Asperger's, so I'm going with that. They really messed up with my diagnosis because to begin with I was there because my school noticed I was depressed. And so I had to have counselling and therapy and it was a long time before they mentioned any kind of Autism. Before that it was just mental illness'. So, if you go through what AdzPearson and Aspiedude went through, that sounds so much more awesome. The key is to just be yourself and answer things honestly. Don't try and act okay, or answer how you think they'll want you to answer. I have this thing where I try to be normal around strangers, which is NOT good when you're being assessed. Don't try and figure out where they're going with a line of questioning either, just answer with the thing that comes into your head first. Other than that, it'll be fine. :)

I didn't even know I was getting diagnosed with anything at the time.
I got diagnosed with Semantic Pragmatic Language Impairment and had to go to speech therapy. Then I assume the speech therapist referred me to a Psychologist to get dx'd with AS. This is around 5 years after the initial diagnosis because I got a new on like every 6 months. So then I saw the Psychologist guy and I just felt like he was interrogating me(and still do, LOL) so all that was clear really was that I had social anxiety, but my Mum brought in quite a lot of stuff I'd done at home in terms of projects and stuff and after around 2 years(only saw him every 6 months) I got dx'd with AS.
So I basically agree with Willow. Be yourself or you're going to have a hard time getting anywhere :p.
EMZ=]

Heey, thanks for all the advice guys!

If anyone tries the hormones stuff I might just go crazy XD I hate it when people try to blame everything on hormones ><
I just know I'm going to get horribly nervous when I actually go and see someone, which does make it a bit difficult to act like myself. But I'll just have to get over the nerves. So far, all that's happened is a lot of questionnaires for everyone except me. I want one! Lol. And after that I know there's going to be a 3 hour interview between them and my parents. So after that it's kind of like...hmm, I remember someone saying some of the stuff is like an IQ test? And physical stuff? Please tell me that's not truue! :p

Don't worry about it. If anything you being nervous about it might help as it will highlight your inconfidences when being assessed.... I think. :p

I didn't expect anything. I never knew I was being tested for a diagnoses. It was a stealth diagnoses :lol:

Don't worry about. Remember, if you get diagnosed with AS you are still the same person you always were... only now with a label.

Lol, stealth diagnosis.
I think I'll find it a relief to be diagnosed actually. I'm not very bothered about the fact that I have AS. When I first figured it out, which was after reading a book after finding out my brother has AS, I was quite happy that I'd found a reason for all the random crazy stuff that I do XD

New Threads

Top Bottom