• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Daydreaming and music

ExplosiveTMT

Humour's my middle name.
When I listen to music, I like to dream up my own cool action movie/game scenes that the song I'm listening to would sound awesome with. :D
While doing this, I bounce up and down and hum without even being aware I'm doing it, unless my mum or friend points it out lol. :p
Anyone else do these things or something similar? :)

I also do this, only I fantasize about meeting celebrities and being famous. I have been told that it's stimming, especially since I rock back and forth when I listen to it.

The music never stops in my world,the soundtrack plays 24 hours a day :D

Music is therapy to me and is always an escape from the everyday dysfunction our planet provides.

My musical tastes are varied and surprises many who hear what I play...right now Lindsay Lohan is singing Edge Of Seventeen...before that it was Fur Elise...before that it was Diana Ross Ain't No Mountain High Enough...preceded by Led Zeppelin The Lemon Song

The beat of the music always gets some part of me to stim because it has order and is consistent.

Yeah, I make up movie or TV show scenes to go along with music. I don't know if I do any body movements along with it.

All the time sometimes quite vivid and beautiful, I like to think of it as my own mental version of Fantasia. Trouble is I sometimes get caught stimming as I listen (I used to rock my self a lot when listening to music as a child), my family is discreet about it but the one or two times I was seen at work got a few rude comments so I try to be a bit more careful how and when I listen to music.

I have been doing it for as long as I can remember. I was very surprised to find out that there is a disorder for this. Have you ever heard of Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder?:
Can Maladaptive Daydreaming Be Treated?

A lot of people with this disorder have a connection to music. The disorder might also have a connection to Aspergers.

Techno/trance music makes me almost achingly nostalgic/melancholic. But isn't that what techno/trance is supposed to do? :/

The music never stops in my world,the soundtrack plays 24 hours a day :D

Music is therapy to me and is always an escape from the everyday dysfunction our planet provides.

My musical tastes are varied and surprises many who hear what I play...

The beat of the music always gets some part of me to stim because it has order and is consistent.
I'd like to ask why you thing what people call "stiming" is a bad thing? Is it because you fear that they are all going to laugh @ U? I ask because that has been a life long fear 4 me, it seems. Maybe you find it more comfortable to "stim" in privacy? I'd be interested to read your reply to this, & anything you care to elaborate on...thx

I'd like to ask why you thing what people call "stiming" is a bad thing? Is it because you fear that they are all going to laugh @ U? I ask because that has been a life long fear 4 me, it seems. Maybe you find it more comfortable to "stim" in privacy? I'd be interested to read your reply to this, & anything you care to elaborate on...thx
Wow...laughs,where do I start :D

I do not think of stimming as a bad thing...I only stated that I stimmed to music when I hear it...my fingers tap,I drum with my hands,my toes twitch and I rock in my chair...I have never had any fears of what others thought of me...I am my own person,and if others take offense to me and what I do,so be it ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom