• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cracked screen help

ghoulbler

I have no clue how severe this is. I need to learn more about computers.
I'm not sure how exactly it happened, but this is what it looks like. I need to get it fixed because my work depends on it really and I am not sure how much it would cost or if I could possible learn how to do it myself so as to avoid spending a fortune on it. I read that it can cost even more than the price of the actual computer and that didn't seem right. Is it really that expensive?
Anyway look at this mess. It's bled a lot more since I took this picture a few months ago:
tumblr_n3egs5MA481rgf57oo1_500.jpg

It would take a really long time for me to save up the money to buy a new computer because I work online where I really need an HD webcam to get any kind of real income, so I need to fix the screen and then buy a good webcam. Then I'll be earning enough to spend money on a good computer.
I'd like to fix this computer rather than just buy a new one also because having multiple computers would be helpful for my job.
So I'm asking what you think would be the cost and if I should have someone do it for me or I should learn to do it myself. I figured the latter would be cheaper.

That seems like a serious crack (and that was months ago?) and from my experience, I don't think it's an easy fix. Especially not one you can do yourself. Perhaps if you were able to get hold of the exact same laptop with a working screen, you could try and do it yourself, but besides that it's probably up for repair at a shop.

The reason why it's expensive is because they need to replace the entire screen. Add in repair cost and it adds up quickly. The amount of times a computer changes hands for repair is ridiculous and everyone who is involved gets their share of the pay. I remember having something fixed, so I went to the shop; first it goes to the shop, they ship it to the manufacturer, they send it to technical service, technical service inspects, and they send it to the repairs department. Then it gets shipped back. You're basically having at least 3 departments (which might not even be from the same company) involved and shipping isn't always free either. Sometimes companies charge you for shipping it to the manufacturer, especially when it's an older system and there is no warranty anymore.

I guess it depends on how mobile you need the screen/laptop to be for your job, but you could of course look for a cheap screen that you hook up to your laptop (since most laptops have a connection for a regular screen; though I would check it.. "most" have it, not all). That'll probably run you way less than replacement, and might even be a viable budget option to look for as a second hand one.

That seems like a serious crack (and that was months ago?) and from my experience, I don't think it's an easy fix. Especially not one you can do yourself. Perhaps if you were able to get hold of the exact same laptop with a working screen, you could try and do it yourself, but besides that it's probably up for repair at a shop.

The reason why it's expensive is because they need to replace the entire screen. Add in repair cost and it adds up quickly. The amount of times a computer changes hands for repair is ridiculous and everyone who is involved gets their share of the pay. I remember having something fixed, so I went to the shop; first it goes to the shop, they ship it to the manufacturer, they send it to technical service, technical service inspects, and they send it to the repairs department. Then it gets shipped back. You're basically having at least 3 departments (which might not even be from the same company) involved and shipping isn't always free either. Sometimes companies charge you for shipping it to the manufacturer, especially when it's an older system and there is no warranty anymore.

I guess it depends on how mobile you need the screen/laptop to be for your job, but you could of course look for a cheap screen that you hook up to your laptop (since most laptops have a connection for a regular screen; though I would check it.. "most" have it, not all). That'll probably run you way less than replacement, and might even be a viable budget option to look for as a second hand one.

All I really need is the ability to see the entire screen so that I can get a webcam and actually be able to download the program that comes with it. Right now I'm using it as is but I can't do a lot of things, like downloading, because I can't see it.

I'm confused on what you mean about the last part with hooking up a cheap screen to the laptop and this "regular screen" ? What is the difference between this and getting a replacement?

Also thank you for your help

All I really need is the ability to see the entire screen so that I can get a webcam and actually be able to download the program that comes with it. Right now I'm using it as is but I can't do a lot of things, like downloading, because I can't see it.

I'm confused on what you mean about the last part with hooking up a cheap screen to the laptop and this "regular screen" ? What is the difference between this and getting a replacement?

Also thank you for your help

It just occurred to me that you didn't even mention if it was a laptop, but I'm for some reason assuming it is. Probably because I couldn't imagine that a screen would cost as much as a computer when it's not a laptop (unless of course it was a really, really cheap computer).

A "regular" screen would be one that you use for a desktop computer, opposed to a screen that's part of the laptop and fixed onto the computer.

The difference being, that
1. you won't have your laptop out for repairs for a sometimes extensive period.
2. it's a lot cheaper (especially if you were to find a used screen).
3. The downside is that you wont be as mobile as with a laptop

Also worth noting; depending on how old the screen is, some don't even get repaired because they don't have replacement parts for it. And with computers, those lifetimes are really short (especially compared to other stuff people you around the house).

That's an "internal" crack of the glass allowing the liquid crystal display to pool into other areas of the screen. Requiring complete replacement which would likely be quite expensive. Maybe not worth it depending on how old the laptop is, or whether the parts are even available.

As King said, you should still be able to hook up an external monitor to the VGA connector on your laptop. But yes, it means you'd still have to purchase a separate monitor. But idealy before even making that purchase, see if you can borrow someone's monitor to hook up just to make sure it all works ok.

It just occurred to me that you didn't even mention if it was a laptop, but I'm for some reason assuming it is. Probably because I couldn't imagine that a screen would cost as much as a computer when it's not a laptop (unless of course it was a really, really cheap computer).

A "regular" screen would be one that you use for a desktop computer, opposed to a screen that's part of the laptop and fixed onto the computer.

The difference being, that
1. you won't have your laptop out for repairs for a sometimes extensive period.
2. it's a lot cheaper (especially if you were to find a used screen).
3. The downside is that you wont be as mobile as with a laptop

Also worth noting; depending on how old the screen is, some don't even get repaired because they don't have replacement parts for it. And with computers, those lifetimes are really short (especially compared to other stuff people you around the house).

Ohhhh alright, I know what you mean now.
Thank you! I'm trying to decide what I should do still but you helped me understand.

That's an "internal" crack of the glass allowing the liquid crystal display to pool into other areas of the screen. Requiring complete replacement which would likely be quite expensive. Maybe not worth it depending on how old the laptop is, or whether the parts are even available.

As King said, you should still be able to hook up an external monitor to the VGA connector on your laptop. But yes, it means you'd still have to purchase a separate monitor. But idealy before even making that purchase, see if you can borrow someone's monitor to hook up just to make sure it all works ok.

I'll probably see if anyone I know has one lying around. Most of my friends normally do have parts to lots of computer stuff that they're not doing anything with. If not, I think I'll just get a new laptop altogether and fix this one later on when I have the money.
Thank you for helping!

Hope you find a work-around, Ghoulbler. For us our computers are our income.

New Threads

Top Bottom