• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could someone let me know some facts about ASD?

No. I canoe and kayak, do woodworking and for some tasks am ambidextrous. My major dysfunction had been a lack of social maturity compounded by an inability to notice and understand social communication, including body language.
Well. So I am noticing a theory that claims people with autism have a better understanding of other autistic people, compared to normal people. So it's like autistic people can communicate inside of the "group of autistic people", just like normal people can communicate with each other. I wonder if is that true or not.

What exactly will you be outlining in this project?
In short, I'm wondering whether people with ASD are more likely to meet motor control problems. And if yes (I think the rate of it is higher than normal people), after training, or in the training, will they (or you) feel it difficult by applying the learned skills to real using scenarios?

Autistics communicate well with other autistics because there is a certain level of symmetry with the nonverbal deficits, but many of us excel with written mediums like forums, text messages, and emails.

IRL interactions can be a different matter entirely because face to face interactions of ASDer with other ASDer are relatively rare. 1 in 44 in the US population. Forums like this are the exception to the rule because it is an intentional community.

Last edited:
Well. So I am noticing a theory that claims people with autism have a better understanding of other autistic people, compared to normal people. So it's like autistic people can communicate inside of the "group of autistic people", just like normal people can communicate with each other. I wonder if is that true or not.
Well at least through text messaging, it is much easier for me .
Not sure about anyone else . I speak very well and learned to talk and read a year earlier compared to most children . But speaking in person I miss lots of the social and verbal cues and body language means nothing to me .so I don’t talk much in person because my thoughts are faster then how I can put the words together. And best for me to stay silent until spoken to so I don’t seem stupid verbally

75 % of communication is non verbal when Neurotypical are speaking . This seems strange to me and hard to comprehend.

I do have one Autistic friend who plays music with me sometimes . We talk directly to each other and it is easy . But still have misunderstandings. But when we play music together we don’t have to speak at all . We just know where each other are going musically .

In short, I'm wondering whether people with ASD are more likely to meet motor control problems. And if yes (I think the rate of it is higher than normal people), after training, or in the training, will they (or you) feel it difficult by applying the learned skills to real using scenarios?
This skates dangerously close to ABA therapy (replace the 'wrong and/or autistic' behaviour with 'correct' e.g. 'quiet hands' behaviour)...It is a practice that penalizes autistics for their 'stims' and is often triggering for many members of the community.

Occupational therapy addresses both gross and fine motor skill development and it is not limited to the autistic community. It used to help those affected by illness, trauma, inherent deficits, and degenerative diseases, as well.

Often those overtly involved with it and are on the spectrum are much further along the spectrum ASD2 and ASD3 with high support needs. (We are talking very early diagnosis with qualifications for public assistance according to the ADA). A majority of members of this forum are either ASD 1 or are self diagnosed. The chasm between the support need skill sets is huge.

Last edited:
When I was a child I would fall all the time and was considered clumsy by all my peers and adults. As I reached my teenage years . I enjoyed running and this got much better . And has seemed to be gone since I ran and played some soccer between ages 10 and 13 . It was my obsession at the time , just to run fast . But with my hands, I was always, ambidextrous. Left hand for writing , right hand for cutting with scissors and everything else.And I can use either hand for eating with utensils. I also can drive drive 18 wheeler trucks and that takes both my feet and all my hands with shifting over 10 gears and steering

I'm not "clumsy" at all other than having some difficulties I have developed as an adult from a mild physical handicap. Not related to autism whatsoever.
I am and have always been an athlete, and still remain extremely physically active.

Our brains and nervous systems function as basic hardware. What we do, how well we do it...is essentially software and subsequent updates. Use it or lose it.

Not all hardware is created equal, but how we update it and maintain it determines how it functions. People who do nothing but scroll on social media are not going to have honed research and critical thinking skills.

Someone whose only exercise is walking from their bed to the couch isn't going to be able to enjoy a walk without putting in some serious time and effort to develop some endurance for walking.

People tend to gravitate toward what triggers the most endorphins the fastest. This is how pleasure is learned and habits are formed. A lot of the time those triggers are not what we need, but what we want.

There is no way around things like physical practice, e.g. learning to walk, swim, run, etc..., but there are different ways to interface with the needed practice, e.g. use of virtual reality games in physical therapy after a TBI.

Targeting 'clumsy' autistics is not only stereotyping it is limiting the audience that could potentially benefit from an assistive technology. Motor skill deficits impact a huge swath of people in all ages, races, and demographics, a fixed mindset on the 'correct' target audience when the preconceived notions of that 'target' audience are very inaccurate will have a big impact on the 'reception' of such a 'design' due to false or inaccurate data.

An adaptive technology that has had a huge benefit to not only those with physical handicaps, but also the academic communities: 3D printing.

Like good technical writing skills or effective communication skills a good tool adapts across a spectrum from printing a 3D model of an ancient bone to printing a casting model for a one of a kind cardiac port.

The skill or process is not defined by its audience, but by its adaptive nature.

Last edited:
Hi, yeah, to some extent you are right. I am sorry that my perspectives are so limited. But the bad news is that in my country (I'm from China), most people feel shame to tell others that they are autistic, and more seriously, some of them do not think they are on the spectrum. All of these only bcoz once you are diagnosed with ASD or other similar status, you will receive extremely bad effects due to the social stereotype. So, yeah, in fact, I "cannot" associate with people on the spectrum, typically in China. It's hard.

I am glad that you are so friendly and can tell me that "most autistic people have problems with motor control" is a stereotype (I guess this is what you mean). So, I'm curious if your skills of motor control are trained or just like you are born with that?
I don't think it's fair to be mad at OP for not knowing a lot about autism. This is someone who cares and wants to know more, which should not be discouraged.

I would still like to know the type of project you're working at. Which kind of design are you creating? For what purpose? We might be able to help you if you'd tell us more about it.

好吧,至少通过短信,这对我来说要容易得多.
不确定其他人.与大多数孩子相比,我说话很好,早一年学会了说话和阅读。但是当面说话时,我错过了很多社交和语言线索,肢体语言对我来说毫无意义,所以我不怎么面对面说话,因为我的想法比我如何将单词组合在一起更快。最好让我保持沉默,直到说话,这样我就不会在口头上显得愚蠢

当神经典型说话时,75%的交流是非语言的。这对我来说似乎很奇怪,很难理解。

我确实有一个自闭症朋友有时会和我一起演奏音乐。我们直接相互交谈,这很容易。但还是有误会。但是当我们一起演奏音乐时,我们根本不用说话。我们只知道彼此在音乐上要去哪里。
Emm so from your word, I feel that even you are not quite sure about what is your typical face-to-face communication approach. Am I right? Because as you said, "message is easy for you to communicate", but actually the graphical language is not for real-time communication. And in your case, you mentioned that you have a better understanding of your autistic friend, but there's no certain way you used it in communication. Do you just like "feel" each other?

Autistics communicate well with other autistics because there is a certain level of symmetry with the nonverbal deficits, but many of us excel with written mediums like forums, text messages, and emails.

IRL interactions can be a different matter entirely because face to face interactions of ASDer with other ASDer are relatively rare. 1 in 44 in the US population. Forums like this are the exception to the rule because it is an intentional community.
Yeah, I agree with what you said. However, a big trend is the number of ASDers (I like this name XD) is boosting, maybe because some conditions changed, maybe because the diagnostic level is upgrading... So, I think the "face-to-face" communication between ASDer and neurotypicals is the biggest challenge. coz we have to work together more and communicate with each other more, in a close future scenario.

I have the opposite problem to Moogwizard. My brain doesn't interpret verbal information very well, there is nothing wrong with my hearing, the problem is in how my brain interprets sounds. I communicate very well in a face to face situation, people's body language and facial expressions are what I understand best.

I don't use phones because so much of the information I rely on is missing in that format. When I try to have a conversation on the phone it is very difficult for me to understand what people are saying.

I have always had some problems with my balance and falling over. But I found out that training and repetition made it better. I used to ski a lot and it was a little strange, some days I just fell over. I put on my skis, stood up and tipped over to one side like a drunk cow. And I had to just try and keep trying for a while and then it got better a few hours later.
Dude (I think most of the people here are males), I guess it is not your problem, or we could say it might not come from your ASD conditions. I am neurotypical, but I do haave the same problem as you described. To me, I can't even stand on a skateboard, while it is no doubt this situation could be improved with training. There is another thing I am curious, do you feel anxious when "asking" or "have to" train some skills you hated (for example, cooking, cleaning up the room, etc..)?

Same thing I was thinking , since when it it fashionable to be autistic? I don’t understand that . Does it mean to dress like an autistic person , I don’t even think this is possible since we are all individuals and dress the way we want .
I dress very casually sweatpants t-shirt; my fashion is lack of fashion.

I have the opposite problem to Moogwizard. My brain doesn't interpret verbal information very well, there is nothing wrong with my hearing, the problem is in how my brain interprets sounds. I communicate very well in a face to face situation, people's body language and facial expressions are what I understand best.

I don't use phones because so much of the information I rely on is missing in that format. When I try to have a conversation on the phone it is very difficult for me to understand what people are saying.
Now, this is the most challenging part for me. Each of you is varied too much! But bro, I feel you type good language here, and you are talkative here. Did you find any problems in understanding the information in this forum?

When I was a child I would fall all the time and was considered clumsy by all my peers and adults. As I reached my teenage years . I enjoyed running and this got much better . And has seemed to be gone since I ran and played some soccer between ages 10 and 13 . It was my obsession at the time , just to run fast . But with my hands, I was always, ambidextrous. Left hand for writing , right hand for cutting with scissors and everything else.And I can use either hand for eating with utensils. I also can drive drive 18 wheeler trucks and that takes both my feet and all my hands with shifting over 10 gears and steering
So in your case, I feel your motor skills growth is not linear. It's like a bit slow at your young age, and growing fast later.

Now, this is the most challenging part for me. Each of you is varied too much! But bro, I feel you type good language here, and you are talkative here. Did you find any problems in understanding the information in this forum?
I write better than I speak. When I am writing I have time to consider what has been said and what I want to say. When speaking to people in real life it is more difficult.

I am sensitive to noise crowed places, like high fidelity in music, have very good colour vision but prefer to use a machine as it gives numbers that I can control unusually steady hands, useful years ago when I liked to shoot have not shot in years. My mind is really scattered ask me a question and you will get multiple answers as I'm not sure what you are asking. You need to be very specific.

I don't think it's fair to be mad at OP for not knowing a lot about autism. This is someone who cares and wants to know more, which should not be discouraged.

I would still like to know the type of project you're working at. Which kind of design are you creating? For what purpose? We might be able to help you if you'd tell us more about it.
Thank you. And from my side, I don't feel a lot of offense here, everybody looks friendly and just talks about their individual differences. I'll give an introduction to what I am currently doing in the project later on!

Each of you is varied too much!
Yes. This is the problem people have when researching autism and looking for answers. We are all so different. This is why they are now calling it a "spectrum" of differences.

Most people like to have firm definitions in their life. Right or wrong. Black or white. Friend or enemy. This is not possible with autism. There are no definite lines, no hard definitions, and many people find it difficult to think in this way.

New Threads

Top Bottom