• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Could an "Aspie" be a volunteer Cop?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I've applied to the local Special Constabulary 3 times in 9 years and not got in, in August 2011 I attended an interview for the position, after passing the paper sift and the aptitude test, but I failed the interview on the length of my answers to the diversity questions, the answers I'd wrote down were too short.

So anyway, has any other person with Aspergers successfully applied to their local Police Force to work as either a Special or regular PC?

I'm not considering applying again, I promised my Parents I wouldn't try attempt number 4, this is just a general thread.

I served as a Military Police Customs Investigator in the Army. The one thing I (and those above me) came to realize was that I was not suited for field work, interviewing people, etc. They did, however, learn that I was skilled at digging up information on individuals and accumulating information and materials needed to put together a case; which is what I did the entire time I was in. Personally, having AS presents challenges that would be a hindrance to being a police officer; that is to say, regular patrol officer or investigator. An Aspie could no doubt pass the tests and demonstrate the ability, but out in the field it would be entirely different. I learned that quite quickly the first time I had to interview a suspect.
You had good supervisors. They recognized your talent and put you in a good place.

New Threads

Top Bottom