• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping with meetings

texkag

V.I.P Member
HI everyone,

I work as a volunteer for a big charity in the UK. We had a branch meeting recently during which many of my issues surfaced and reminded of why I hate worker's meetings.

For starters there were over twenty people there, many of them from another office, which triggered my anxiety on its own. People were talking when the manager was trying to get through the agenda and then there was that guy. Every office has someone like this, who likes the sound of his own voice and just has to drone on about his pet hate. Everyone was going off at tangents and talking over each other. Every sinew in my body was priming itself to run.

When the manager turned to me, expecting me to talk about my role, the cheetah in me was ready to let loose before my heart finally ripped through my chest wall. Fortunately my phone rang at that exact point and I was legitimately able to make a swift retreat. I hung out in the toilet for most of the rest of the meeting. After the meeting everyone was milling about and chatting, as people do. I inventing some important work I had to do to avoid most of it. I was shattered by the time I got home and just wanted to crawl under the bed sheets. I definitely won't be attending any more worker's meetings that's for sure. It's a shame there a no voluntary roles that offer an office all to yourself!

How do you cope with meetings?

Fortunately I have no need to attend large meetings.

But I do have to have meetings with teachers/doctors etc, which is enough on its own, even they make me anxious!

New Threads

Top Bottom