• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

contemplating existence.

SimplyWandering

its weird for me to think about it, but what am I actually doing on this plane of existence?

I start things (relationships, work, etc) , I stop them (though money is nice for sure) , and then I inevitably wait for the end.

I hate how other people treat each other, myself, etc... and I then isolate, because you know it beats having to deal with societal demands/structures.

That feeling of wanting to fit in, have friends, telling people life gets better, but what about my life.... now it almost sounds like I am depressed, maybe so, but who else feels like this on a daily.

At some point I’ll probably disappear from this forum only to reappear months later when I have to make some type of contemplation...

What do you do to make your life feel like it means something?

That's a complicated question but I am reminded of something my mother told me as a young man.
"Son, I don't care if all you wan't to do in life is dig ditches. Just be the best ditch digger YOU can be."

I don't think being the best or maximizing our potential is really all that important, except to the extent it influences your happiness, and not the superficial happiness caused by meetings superficial demands.
Just be kind then die, I say.

My tombstone: "He was kind (sorta), and then he died (completely)."

I don't think being the best or maximizing our potential is really all that important, except to the extent it influences your happiness, and not the superficial happiness caused by meetings superficial demands.

...and his soul will be flying among the clouds in the beautiful shape of a duck!'

Being important isn't important to me.
I sat watching a beautiful multi-coloured sunset over the sea while eating dinner tonight.
And I thought this is what it's all about.
Peace and chaos intermingle in the world.
No one really knows why we exist on this plane. But, we do. So all I can do is go with it.

I like this bit from a song: ...we all end in the ocean, we start in the streams and we're carried along
on the river of dreams, in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Hmm, my YouTube channel message is be kind to others, but maybe it it should be
“be kinda to others, sorta of.”

Life is a rarity, a thing which required tons of optimal conditions to start off and form. Then intelligent life comes with such a potential that we have as a whole, it's amazing, and I feel lucky for not being an animal. We care of each other and grow beyond imagination and I think life is a nice gift to have as a human. We're quite different from each other, but I think that is the best thing for us in order to be able to grow in different areas as a society and understand each other to better function and be happy together.

Last edited:
I believe there is a purpose to life. I also think that life means different things to different people. Like for some, life is more about what can make them happy while for others life is more about making other's happy. Some it's about experiencing beauty and peaceful moments while others it's living to the max. It's what we make of it regardless of our surroundings.

I believe there is a purpose to life. I also think that life means different things to different people. Like for some, life is more about what can make them happy while for others life is more about making other's happy. Some it's about experiencing beauty and peaceful moments while others it's living to the max. It's what we make of it regardless of our surroundings.

I think for me , my problem is that I wish others were more in line with my thinking ( not completely knowing what others think) ... to be good, kind, and helpful to others.

It would make the world a better place... the fact is I struggle understanding why people wouldn’t be any of these things to other people and why so many care about money more than those ideas.

Perhaps money spenders are more noticeable and leave more of a lasting (negative/emotional) impression.

Hmm, my YouTube channel message is be kind to others, but maybe it it should be
“be kinda to others, sorta of.”

Nooo, the goal is to be kind completely, and the "sort of" is the result. So any instruction would be the ideal of being kind and then once reality happens, BAM, sorta. :cool:

The fundamental existential question: How to bring meaning to existence?

People have been asking this question since... well since the beginning of people, I'd imagine.

Personally, I think that part of the answer is to live in such a way as to maximize the possibility of bringing truth and goodness into the world. Sometimes "the world" is very very small, like making my bed. Sometimes it's bigger, like doing my job well, so that others know they can rely on me. At least this is what I strive for... a lot of my life I've only been able to achieve not making things worse.

One of this things I struggle to accept is that being is full of suffering and tragedy. My instinct is to fight against those things, but I'm just one little finite person, and the world is SOOO BIG, and the universe is (for all practical purposes, infinite). What I find I can do is what I say above, speak and behave in the world so that I'm not bringing forth MORE suffering and tragedy and maybe, just maybe, doing some good.

To me you have to strive to be more than what you are. For me I don't want Autism to define who I am, I know it's a part of me but I don't want it to define who I am. I want to be the best possible me and live my best life.

Contribute to the world. Make a difference in someone's day. Do something kind for someone or just ask how their day is going. This is some of the stuff I try and do when I feel like the world wouldn't miss me if I was not around.

A life making ones self and the people you care about happy is all one can ask for.
That's not as simple as it sounds.
Other's have already touched on it in this thread.
As the saying goes "Conflict is the spice of life"

I'm an existentialist - meaning I believe that things have meaning because I give them meaning - that includes people - part of why I'm an "Evil Overlord"

But as soon as I give someone validity the things they think are important could be important to me as well, because they think it's important.
I give them the benefit of the doubt - If it's important to them there has to be SOMETHING to it, I'm no friend of fools after all.

Or am I ;)

My spiritual belief is that we're given challenges (the stuff we struggle with, both internally and externally) and we're given certain gifts (the stuff we're good at , and the stuff we have easy - like if your family has lots of money, etc). So we're supposed to maximize and be thankful for the good stuff and accepting of the challenges while seeking solutions or ways to mitigate them. I'm in recovery from addiction and eating disorders so I believe I've succeeded on those 'life tasks' but not so much when it comes to this ASD and not so much with my subset of that, Executive Function Deficit. I do want to help others and do good, which happens less than i think it should because of social deficits and spending most of my time trying to get stuff done and manage my disorganized, ditzy brain/life. So i frequently think, "I'm wasting my life". Im good at creative pursuits but rarely find time . Same reasons, so on a bad day, i think im wasting my gifts. Peace comes when I'm running outside, or at a good 12-step meeting, or when i do something creative that comes out good, or when i do help someone. I pray and meditate, too. Helps. So do cats, lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom