• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Complaining vs Venting

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
Is this true for anyone else here?

It's everything I try to say or talk about I'm always complaining and whining but if a Nt says the exact same things they're just venting. How is this okay?

Or I'm just trying to "get attention" and upset everybody around me... but then how are nt people just being normal and everybody sympathizes with them with encouraging words, hugs, etc?

Who draws this line? Is there anything that can be done?? I'm hitting the point where I'm just so done with my life and I can't say a word to anybody at all.

I feel the same way exactly...if I really tell the whole truth about my life people will tell me I am severely depressed and all I am really doing is just telling facts only about my life

like it is not easy to pay for all we need and not easy to get new jobs just like that and sometimes we just have to do what we are doing now and stay put

I think it has a lot to do with the perception of how it affects your life. If you vent about something and it appears as if it is really having adverse effects on your life, then vent/complain hinges on whether or not you can or will do something about it. If you just vent and do nothing about the problem, then it becomes a complaint, with all the baggage associated with being a complainer, ie. that you want someone else to do something about it.I

It seems when people are "just venting", they are getting something off their chests, so to speak, not needing help, advice or intervention. They vent and move on. Or others agree, and it starts a bi+£€# fest.

Where the perception gets twisted might have something to do with the venter's position in whatever social group your in at the time. Higher position gets sympathy, lower position gets "quit you complaining".

I'm not complaining, just venting.:)

New Threads

Top Bottom