• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Comics

ExplosiveTMT

Humour's my middle name.
I usually read a lot of comics when I go to the library.
I once got told off by a teacher when I was reading a batman comic, because "it isn't a real book".
So I wound up almost having a full blown meltdown over it. I came pretty close to losing it. Not a nice day that was. :/

Anyways, what comics do you like reading? :D
I've been reading a lot of batman comics as of late. :)

My all time favorite is Transmetropolitan.

As of late I'm reading Fables (which I got into after play The wolf among us).

The argument that comics aren't a real book is silly. It's just another form. And while some don't have great writing, there are a lot of great ones out there. I suppose the notion of "graphic novel" comes to mind as well. Watchmen is great and so is V for Vendetta... Batman had a few graphic novels which were pretty awesome. The Dark Knight Returns comes to mind. All graphic novels worth a movie at some point... so they can't be that "bad"... especially considering they adapt regular novels to movies as well.

I find with the stuff that easily converts to movies, I just end up watching the movies. The stuff I read, well there are usually 8-10, or more books to the series, and each book is 600-1200+ pages. I am kind of a masochist when it comes to reading......

I enjoy all types of comics from all eras. However, what I cannot stand are comic book fans. The stupidity of the comments I hear every time a new movie comes out is facepalm-inducing to say the least. Comic book fans always say they want movies that are like the comics, but every time we get one that is exactly like the comics with all the silly, over the top action, ludicrous plotting, and so forth that the comics have (X-Men: The Last Stand, Green Lantern, Blade: Trinity, etc.), all they do is complain and say the movie is terrible. MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

I once got told off by a teacher when I was reading a batman comic, because "it isn't a real book".
So I wound up almost having a full blown meltdown over it. I came pretty close to losing it. Not a nice day that was. :/
Don't worry about it. People who say that almost certainly haven't read enough comics to know that they are, in fact, literature, and can have as much value as any traditional novel. Art Spiegelman's Maus comes to mind, as does Alison Bechdel's Fun Home.

I like Neil Gaiman's Sandman, it's my absolute favorite

Walking Dead

Batman, dark knight, detective comics
Although I half gave up on DC when all the lenticular New 52 issues came out. I stopped buying and selling after those.

I've only recently begun getting into comics and graphic novels, the two jumping off points being Buffy Season 8 and (of course!) Sandman. It's like a whole new world...an art form that I never gave much thought to before, and I find it beautiful...I can't wait to explore it more.

If you ever want to read a really good Batman novel, Wyv, I recommend The Long Halloween. Why they haven't adapted it yet for their animated dvd line is beyond me.

I don't really touch mainstream comics. I like to start from the beginning and I imagine it'd be really hard to find some of the first strips and issues, possibly owned by comic fans that would scare Gollum. I'll watch the movies though, they're easier to get ahold of.

Just have to post my tribute of my first love. Painted from an image in "the sound of her wings" which is also with in Preludes and Nocturnes and another graphic novel.

I've just gotten into comics but they've become a new special interest. :D They're a somewhat expensive interest though... *sigh* I also love Batman, and I'm obsessed with Starfire from Teen Titans, so I'll read anything with her in it, haha. I recently read Alan Moore's From Hell, which was great. And I would read Sandman but I'm waiting to catch it at the library and it's always checked out. The struggle.

Sandman is epic. I have owned all the GNs and many issues. I have read and re-read them dozens of times over the years. Definitely an enduring classic for me. The first I ever read was inn at worlds end. That graphic novel was my favorite EVER! They had different artists very often in the series. That was a painting of Death, Dream's sister in the series.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Anyways, what comics do you like reading? :D
I've been reading a lot of batman comics as of late. :)

First...teachers shouldn't discourage people from reading, whether it be a regular book, a comic, or anything else(and comics are "real books" in my opinion)That teacher should mind his/her own business.
Comics are awesome, I've just gotten into reading comics, so I'm kind of new the the whole comic scene. :)
I like to read Sonic the Hedgehog comics. o_O

Looking back at this thread; I've been wading through a bunch of comics I've collected here and there and I'm enjoying Crossed a lot. Yeah, don't give me that look... I know I'm a bit morbid, lol. But I guess for someone who likes gore and isn't really that enamored by mindless zombies it's a nice fit

I've been reading an online comic called "Second Empire" - a Doctor Who themed story but without the Doctor and with an interesting plot.

The story is sort of an 'alternate universe' idea and follows General Xenol of the First Conquest Army. He is brought before the Golden Emperor to stand for his disobedience and failure. He later learns that the Golden Emperor is genetically altering the Dalek race to remove their creativity in favour of making all future Daleks obedient to their superiors, emotionless and xenophobic to all other life forms (like their counterparts from the main Doctor Who universe).
Xenol is himself against this - feeling that soon the Daleks driving their machines won't even be needed anymore. The straw that breaks the camel's back is when Xenol discovers that the new batches of Daleks aren't even been given names anymore - leading Xenol to lead a rebellion and the Second Dalek Empire is born...

The comic uses various old and new Dalek designs, as well as borrowing from other sci-fi including Star Wars and Star Trek as well as other shows such as Blackadder and Xena Warrior Princess. It also surprised me with how quickly I gave up reading each line in a Dalek voice and just settled on reading it normally.

The comic is over 700 pages, so be aware its a long read. The comic starts here: Second Empire page 000

ilke garfield baby blues zits, dennis the menace mick mouse donald duck comics i think thats about it

New Threads

Top Bottom