• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

College: Study curriculum or Do an interesting research?

Darwin

V.I.P Member
I study for an MBBS degree. Although I don’t find studying human medicine challenging, I get bored sometimes because I have ideas for researches that I am more interested in.

For example, I can sometimes guess the histological structure of some organ based on simple information about it (such as whether it has a cavity or not). I think I can design a method that, hopefully, will be very accurate. This would relate histology with embryology, and would help predict microscopic features of pathologic cells. For a medical student (or a scientist,) this would save a lot of the time that he/she would otherwise spend trying to memorize histological structures of different cell types, normal and abnormal, (which seem not to make any sense most of the time).

The problem is that I don’t have enough time to do that because I have to study. Even worse, I take more time than normal studying for exams because I am not motivated enough.

What should I do? Should I focus on my studies and do that research later? Or do the research and go from an A+ student to an A or B student?

What should I do? Should I focus on my studies and do that research later? Or do the research and go from an A+ student to an A or B student?

Unfortunately, I did the same in plant biology, and often wanted to solve problems of interest to me. As there are gaps in biology and science in general where specific areas of study were virtually empty of research. But it was not the time to do so. Simply getting through the memorization and regurgitation (which seemed endless) is really what is required.

Yet, the stimulation of discovering something interesting, set me on a path away from the required papers and course work and on a tangent. And as I deviated, I lost interest. Wanting to understand rather than memorize. Once through the course work, the papers, the exams, the thesis, is the time to perhaps extend the degree to a specialization. Or to develop this interest on your own. Otherwise you might not finish in the time allotted.

Last edited:
I study for an MBBS degree. Although I don’t find studying human medicine challenging, I get bored sometimes because I have ideas for researches that I am more interested in.

For example, I can sometimes guess the histological structure of some organ based on simple information about it (such as whether it has a cavity or not). I think I can design a method that, hopefully, will be very accurate. This would relate histology with embryology, and would help predict microscopic features of pathologic cells. For a medical student (or a scientist,) this would save a lot of the time that he/she would otherwise spend trying to memorize histological structures of different cell types, normal and abnormal, (which seem not to make any sense most of the time).

The problem is that I don’t have enough time to do that because I have to study. Even worse, I take more time than normal studying for exams because I am not motivated enough.

Start a file of research interests, and limit yourself to a well written and sourced abstract on each topic. If you want to pick it up again later, you'll have a better start than if you just trusted your memory. Other than that, devote yourself to your studies now. It's easy to get bored and minimize how important the basics are, but things you give short shrift to now could be valuable in the future.

Start a file of research interests, and limit yourself to a well written and sourced abstract on each topic. If you want to pick it up again later, you'll have a better start than if you just trusted your memory. Other than that, devote yourself to your studies now. It's easy to get bored and minimize how important the basics are, but things you give short shrift to now could be valuable in the future.

I do have a problem with this solution, though. If I start something, I have to finish it; I don’t even take breaks.
I can’t limit myself to an introduction to the research, especially when I am doing something I am interested in.

Last edited:
I worked in a lab on a project that was very much related to what I was learning in my courses, and I found that having the connection made me a lot more interested in my coursework and increased my comprehension of the topics. So in my case, I found doing research at the same time as coursework to be greatly beneficial.

School is demanding, but there is no way to put more hours in a day than already exist. The fundamentals in any field are important, even though they are not exciting and can't keep your interest at peak performance level. Such is life sometimes. I like GadAbout's idea to use the fundamental material as reference sources for your greater research interests. Keeping a secondary collection of notes and references also helps you learn the primary material. Do your absolute best to master what is going to be on your exams. Good grades are important. Once you earn an A+, it is yours forever. What you do what all that learning afterward is all up to you. I doubt you would ever regret all the time and effort you put into your studies. You are very smart to be conscious of time limitations and your motivation.

I prefer research.

I love research. I want to add something new because I hate being just a normal student.
But it would cost me a lot if I prioritised research. I think I will take notes of the ideas I have now, and do the research later when I have time to do so.

New Threads

Top Bottom