• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

College Questions

Hello all,
I am looking for college students or recent graduates who are willing to take my 6 question survey.

The questions come from parents of autistic high school students who are looking for advice from individuals who have lived the experience.

The survey is anonymous and I will share the results on my website, Home .

I would also appreciate it if you would share the link with others who may be interested in sharing their opinions.

I have posted the link below as well as the questions in the survey - if you want to just answer one or more of the questions here that would be great too - then others can see them directly.

Link to Survey

Questions in the survey:

1. What supports do you receive and how does it compare to high school?
2. Where do you live and why? (Home, dorm, apartment, other etc)
3. How do you handle stress?
4. If you could go back in time and give a piece of advice to your high school self, what would it be?
5. How do you keep track of classes and assignments?
6. How do you motivate yourself?

It's been awhile since my undergraduate days, so I'm not sure I'm qualified to respond to this. I think it would have been valuable information for me to have at the time, though, as I did not cope well. Hope others are able to give you some valuable input!

I've been out of college for a few years now, but I responded. I had a great experience and hope my responses can be somewhat helpful.

1. What supports do you receive and how does it compare to high school?

I wasn't diagnosed with AS until after I graduated so my only support was what the school offered.

That being said, many colleges are surprisingly supportive if you are willing to look. There are so many resources and tutoring options that many people just aren't aware of. I got lots of tutoring, private study rooms, access to computers and spaces I didn't know existed, counseling, group sessions, short hour long courses on things like money/time management, making friends, and more...all for free...and all because I kept asking for more.

The main difference is that, in high school, you are given some resources, but in college you have to seek them out yourself. BUT, there are SO MANY options out there if you're willing to look. I never asked for help and walked away feeling bad about it. I was either helped directly or redirected to a new resource.

If you are open and honest with the professors and express from the beginning that you're interested and dedicated then, if the time comes that you need help, they will fight for you and offer you addition resources. This often includes handpicked resources or even their own personal time to tutor your privately.Most professors are genuinely kind this way, but its not a given. Every individual is different, but it never hurts to be kind and make a good first impression.

2. Where do you live (home, dorm, apartment) and why?

I lived in a dorm my first year with my own private bedroom and a living space and bathroom shared with 3 other girls. That worked fine for me. Then, I lived in an apartment with a roommate because I wanted more private space. I recommend living at home. The change in environment each year was really stressful for me and I believe that you don't need to live on campus to have the 'college experience'

3. How do you handle stress?

First and foremost, counseling. You will never have more frequent FREE access to counseling outside of college so take advantage of it. Go as often as possible. Go to group therapy even though its hard.

Also, I took advantage of the private study rooms and times when the library or computer labs were very empty to do my work in peace.

Also, medical care is affordable in college, so take advantage of that too. Some people need to take pills for depression and anxiety and that's okay.

I kept giant daily planner that I wrote in and checked religiously. For me, keeping my schedule tight and planning things like snacks and study/homework time meant that I never felt confused or overwhelmed about what to do or where to go.

4. If you could go back in time and give a piece of advice to your high school self, what would it be?

Focus on your grades and getting into college. Most friends from high school will fade. If you don't hang out with them outside of high school during the school year, you probably won't hang out with them outside of high school ever.

If high school is difficult for you, take heart that you can truly begin again in college and everything will feel much more free and independent.

Also, it is NOT shameful to do your core classes in community college. It will actually save you a lot of money.

New Threads

Top Bottom