• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cloudflare trying to "ban" me. For nothing.

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
So, yeah. On my other PC, which I've used on this site REALLY frequently (been here for a couple of years now), I was making a quick couple of posts... just two of them, and suddenly, I get a (very broken) message from good ol' Crapflare saying I was "banned" for the action I'd taken (AKA, while typing).

Now, this is Cloudflare, so even their "banning" function doesnt work right. As you can see. Hell, their bloody message about it was so broken and messed up that I had to stare at it for a couple of minutes to even be able to read it. It was in a busted excuse for a window with text stretching all over the place. It wasnt a message from a moderator.

So, here's the question about it: What is to be done about this? If this is happening to me, it's probably happening to others (or will be, soon). I mean, it's Cloudflare, I expect only failure from them (I've never even ONCE seen a Cloudflare-infected site that works right). But if it happens again and functions as they intend it, what can I do about it? Is there someone I can contact somehow to have it worked out? Seriously, Cloudflare is awful, so I fully expect to see it again sometime sooner rather than later.

So, yeah. On my other PC, which I've used on this site REALLY frequently (been here for a couple of years now), I was making a quick couple of posts... just two of them, and suddenly, I get a (very broken) message from good ol' Crapflare saying I was "banned" for the action I'd taken (AKA, while typing).

Now, this is Cloudflare, so even their "banning" function doesnt work right. As you can see. Hell, their bloody message about it was so broken and messed up that I had to stare at it for a couple of minutes to even be able to read it. It was in a busted excuse for a window with text stretching all over the place. It wasnt a message from a moderator.

So, here's the question about it: What is to be done about this? If this is happening to me, it's probably happening to others (or will be, soon). I mean, it's Cloudflare, I expect only failure from them (I've never even ONCE seen a Cloudflare-infected site that works right). But if it happens again and functions as they intend it, what can I do about it? Is there someone I can contact somehow to have it worked out? Seriously, Cloudflare is awful, so I fully expect to see it again sometime sooner rather than later.
Is there any chance you can get a screen capture of the message so it can be relayed to @Brent so he can try to identify why you are having this issue?

Is there any chance you can get a screen capture of the message so it can be relayed to @Brent so he can try to identify why you are having this issue?

Nah, I'd already dismissed it. It was one of those sorts where if you click anywhere else it'd vanish. But when I use that computer again in an hour or so, I'll see if it happens again and try to screenshot it.

Nah, I'd already dismissed it. It was one of those sorts where if you click anywhere else it'd vanish. But when I use that computer again in an hour or so, I'll see if it happens again and try to screenshot it.
Ok, thank you, but do what you can so we can attempt to find a resolution for it.

Well, here I am, on the machine that's supposed to be "banned". As expected, their ban function literally didnt even work. Typical Cloudflare. I seriously dont know how they're even still in business at this point.

Which means that I dont have a screenshot for you.

Hm, not too much else I could point out about it. But I'll be watching for it again and we'll see what happens.

@Mia Nope, no Tor. Just Chrome. Same browser I usually use, tends to be reliable.

Well, here I am, on the machine that's supposed to be "banned". As expected, their ban function literally didnt even work. Typical Cloudflare. I seriously dont know how they're even still in business at this point.

Which means that I dont have a screenshot for you.

Hm, not too much else I could point out about it. But I'll be watching for it again and we'll see what happens.

@Mia Nope, no Tor. Just Chrome. Same browser I usually use, tends to be reliable.
The ban part doesn't tell us a whole lot.

Typically, I personally have very few issues that ever come up from them, so it might be isolated to your area's Cloudflare server, or possibly an issue from your own provider.
Can you give me a little more to work with, perhaps say a photograph of this "ban"?

Nah, it's outright gone. After I got the "ban" I went to my basement PC instead to see what'd happen (it's my gaming machine anyway, so I was going down there as it is) and was down there for an hour or two. In that time, the effect seems to have totally faded, as I'm back on the upstairs PC and there's nothing. Honestly even if I had a screenshot or a photo, it might not help as much as you'd like. It was a glitched-out mess. I'm talking like "text stretching outside of the window and off the screen" levels of buggy.

As Cloudflare goes, I've seen it spaz out and generally not do it's job about a bazillion times over on many sites (Wrongplanet being the most notorious one, it breaks down and does weird crap so often that I consider it a bit dangerous). It seems to be different, as to how borked it is, with different sites. Some are bonkers, others are a bit less frequent with the weirdness. This site doesnt seem too bad (part of why I'm here so much). Heck if I know why. The actual location doesnt seem to make any difference, as far as where I use the Net from. Whether it's various houses or something like a hotel, Cloudflare gets borked often enough that it's predictable. Again, depending on the site. Same with using different PCs. I have four that I can use, as well as a tablet and a phone, and they dont increase/decrease the frequency of issues on such sites.

Anyway, there's nothing I can do to get more info on it as of right now. It'd have to spaz out again on it's own. What really gets me about it though is that this wasnt like, a page shift. No new page being loaded... it didnt happen when I was like, clicking the "post" button or clicking on a topic, or something like that. I was literally typing out a message, a response to someone's topic, and was like only halfway done, when it pasted a big window onto the page, the bugged out one. Didnt cover the entire page, the left and right edges of the normal site were still visible, even though there was broken text smeared all over. The window itself was bloated and weird looking. I've seen Cloudflare do some very, very strange things, but that was new even to me. I do remember one odd thing it said though (in the text I could actually read). It was something like "your previous action has caused an alarm". The "previous action" was clicking on the topic I was typing in (again, via Chrome). I dont think that's the exact line word for word, my memory isnt that good, but that's the gist of it. There was way more text than that though.

Ah well, probably best not to worry about it too much now. If it does it again at any point I'll try to remember that this topic is here, and get a screenshot of whatever weirdness it produces in case it helps you guys out in any way.

I do appreciate the quick responses, though. You all run this site well.

No. Totally different. That there is an entire error page... this was more like a window, within the browser itself, that pasted itself over the page I was looking at. I could still see the left and right sides of the topic page.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a site produce an error message appearing in a sub-window like that. So... that's even weirder than usual.

Cloudflare is a major reason on why I'm starting to get interested in automatic captcha solvers to stock up for privacy pass. Apart from the maaany other issues I have been experiencing with their sites, and the obvious privacy problem with having most (non major) sites hosted from the same adversary.

Cloudflare isn't banning tor nodes directly in that sense, instead most tor users are getting bombarded with much more difficult than normal captchas to the point of unusability. If one is out of luck one might spend up to 20 minutes trying to get through a captcha and then directly gets another one for a part of the site, and every 15 minutes the node changes so there is a high chance you might have to go through that again.

Last edited:
Cloudflare is a major reason on why I'm starting to get interested in automatic captcha solvers to stock up for privacy pass. Apart from the maaany other issues I have been experiencing with their sites, and the obvious privacy problem with having most (non major) sites hosted from the same adversary.

Cloudflare isn't banning tor nodes directly in that sense, instead most tor users are getting bombarded with much more difficult than normal captchas to the point of unusability. If one is out of luck one might spend up to 20 minutes trying to get through a captcha and then directly gets another one for a part of the site, and every 15 minutes the node changes so there is a high chance you might have to go through that again.

Oh yeah, their captchas are terrible. I dont even use Tor (on any of my machines/locations) and I see those horrid things all the time. And like everything else about Derpflare, the captchas outright dont work half the time.

But my favorite part is when you get the "endless" captchas. Here, look at this picture, click all the stoplights. Now heres another, click all the cars. Now click the trees. Now the sidewalks. Now.... uuuuuuugh. In what universe was this considered to be a good idea? Or the "regenerating" captchas, those are boaloads of fun too. Where it's the picture idea again but when you click them they fade and are replaced with something else and you have to keep clicking more and more. Again... WHY would anyone want this crap associated with their site? Yeah, let's ANNOY THE HELL out of the user. What a great service.

The most ridiculous part though: failing a captcha, and having it still count as being cleared. Yeah. It'll do this every now and then. I'll get frustrated with it so I'll start trying to do them faster and faster, and then I'll screw up in a super obvious way (or sometimes just say "screw it" right from the start and feed it gibberish out of sheer spite) and it'll go "okay, you're in", and I'm like.... what? And this is a service someone PAYS for?

I can understand the need for security on websites and such. But there's a difference between "secure" and "bloody stupid". Cloudflare crossed that boundary loooooong ago. And that's just the start of the problems... it simply gets so much worse from there.

Maybe it could be better with privacy pass (no web service should have to rely on an annoying browser extension)

New Threads

Top Bottom