• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

clearing throat and sniffing

I've never understood why some people try and get attention by pretending to sniff or clear their throat

Well... it might not be pretending, really.

I do both all the time, but it's because I'm allergic to pretty much everything. So I sure as heck dont need to pretend.

My mother in law has a bit of a nervous habit doing exactly this.

I liken it to a tic, of sorts. In that she isn't attention seeking, she doesn't realise she's doing it much of the time.

The larger the family gathering and the more stressy she feels, the more and faster she does it.

I tend to use it as a gauge.
If she's going like the clappers with it,
I try to redirect conversation so others join in and take over conversational subjects,
meaning less focus on her = less stress= less sniffing and throat clearing.

In her case, definitely a nervous habit and not attention seeking :)

I have had both teachers and employers do a loud fake cough to grab attention. You can tell it is fake. It is another way of saying, "Pay attention here!"

I know sometimes a person will clear their throat to get someone's attention, which is a little different than just clearing the throat. Getting attention is more of an "ahem". I can't imagine sniffing being used to get someone's attention though. I would tend to think allergies or a cold, or just inflamed sinuses.

New Threads

Top Bottom