• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Claustrophobia

SL JediKnight

So I am claustrophobic some people are claustrophobic of different things I believe I'm claustrophobic of people I don't like being around a bunch of people it makes me feel uncomfortable I don't like people in general could this be considered claustrophobia or something else please feel free to comment your opinion

Like being squished in an elevator with bunches of people?

Or a crowded mall or restaurant or parade?

I believe it depends on what exactly is causing your discomfort. If it's the presence of many people that makes you uncomfortable that makes me think more of social anxiety or something along those lines, but if it's the limited space and possible inability of escape then claustrophobia seems like a logical conclusion.

But I'm no expert on claustrophobia (or anything), so those are just my thoughts. :)

demophobia may be closer to your situation

cluastraphobia has more to do with being in small enclosed areas with no apparent way to escape. people with this won't like going into crawl spaces.

Mine is kind of both - I get anxious or uncomfortable at best in confined spaces, but it's a lot worse if there are lots of people there too, like an elevator. I never use the lift/elevator no matter how many floors!

I am very uncomfortable around a bunch of people.

But I feel more comfortable in a small space rather than a wide open space. Often when in a bathroom stall or closet I think about what essentials I'd need to live in a space that size, and how I'd arrange it.

I am very claustrophobic. Some days are better than others for dealing with crowds. I fear narrow spaces, places with no easy way out, people or things blocking exits, windowless or airless places, tight clothes especially round the neck, and have suffered badly in this era of face coverings. I can't wear them, and have endured bullying because of it. I was reading some stuff just now about the amygdala in autism, and its role in our anxiety and fear levels....

New people cause me stress, l have my thinking, friend or foe? But now l just assume the worst and avoid. Takes the guessing out of the equation. A lot of people tend to stress me out, my last job was quite busy. So it can be stressful because of the unknowns of people and how they may react to anything.

Do people cause you anxiety when they come near you or are you just anxious around people period even if they aren't near you.

I have some kind of claustrophobia, but it happens only when I'm surrounded by a lot of people in a small space. When I'm alone (narrow rooms in my house, CT scan machine) I don't feel it. I even enjoy getting into a wardrobe.

New Threads

Top Bottom