• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Claiming JSA? (UK)

grapesicles

Anyone here had any experience with this?

Because my grandma died recently and I'm now technically living alone, I have had to apply for Jobseekers Allowance. I've no idea what to expect, the forms were confusing enough and not at all AS-friendly - I feel like an idiot having to get someone to sit with me because the questions are phrased so ambiguously. Apparently I will have to attend an interview 'soon' and not sure what to expect. I don't know if they'd be lenient or accepting at all?

I didn't want to claim this, but am supposed to receive council tax benefits as a result (I can definitely not afford £2000 in council tax) and also need the money to cover bills, especially through the winter. However I feel really down all the time since my grandmother is gone, so really not up to being around strangers asking me confusing questions, and other situations that I'm not feeling up to dealing with right now - especially the idea of being forced into a job I'm not up for. Also the only family I get on with live abroad - I understand that you're not supposed to leave the country whilst claiming JSA, and I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't see them in a few months time - it's hard enough coping as it is, without being told I won't be able to see my family for the foreseeable future.

Any stories/experiences of claiming and dealing with the JSA process? What should I expect? Would they let me leave the country every few months to see family at all? & will I expect reasonable treatment as someone with AS who would find certain jobs/communicating well very difficult?

I had to do this some years ago when I was in the process of appealing DWP cutting my incapacity benefit.

My advice would be to phone up and ask for an appointment to see the disability adviser (called Disability Employment Adviser) at your local job-centre. They are much more understanding and helpful and usually have their own room away from the rest of the job-centre which can be less than a savoury place (read: can be filled with loud, obnoxious and, sometimes, drunk people).

I had to do this some years ago when I was in the process of appealing DWP cutting my incapacity benefit.

My advice would be to phone up and ask for an appointment to see the disability adviser (called Disability Employment Adviser) at your local job-centre. They are much more understanding and helpful and usually have their own room away from the rest of the job-centre which can be less than a savoury place (read: can be filled with loud, obnoxious and, sometimes, drunk people).

Thank you, I shall definitely do that - didn't know that was a possibility :blush:

I googled "what to expect at a jobseekers allowance interview" or something similar, and one answer that appeared read "expect to be treated like scum" - slightly unnerving! I'm a little more relaxed now I've been informed that just applying for JSA alone is enough to be able to get the council tax relief (my main worry), which takes away the fear of messing up a bit.

The usual advisers can be a little curt, but they have to deal with some very unpleasant people day-in and day-out.

I don't know if you've ever been to a job-centre before, but try not to be alarmed by the security guards posted on the door(s) - the sight of which really unnerved me during my first ever visit!

I hope it goes well for you. :)

Really you should try claiming ESA if your conditions(s) affect your ability to work.

Initial interview wasn't as bad as I thought - there were actual drunk people there, two of them! One stank of alcohol and kept standing really close to the table I was being interviewed at and ignored the interviewer's advice on sitting down, and eventually got distracted by something else. The other was yelling incoherently to himself whilst scattering stationery over the floor and tables.

I really hope the adviser I get assigned to will be friendly and actually helpful - just don't like not knowing what to expect in the future - ie, will I get a job, will I have to do something else..so it helps a lot if people are kind.

New Threads

Top Bottom