• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cinematic nihilism thread

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
First off, a disclaimer - Please do not link to any videos containing graphic content, even if it is relevant to this thread.

Now, with that out of the way.....

Cannibal Holocaust is a brilliantly hypocritical piece of cinematic nihilism, expertly devolving into the very thing it tries to criticize. I actually feel the exact same why about Oliver Stone’s Natural Born Killers.

True nihilistic cinema can be found in the short films of Douglas Buck, or in the feature films of Gaspar Noe. There is also a German film titled Der Todesking that is probably the ultimate feel bad movie of all time. Let’s also not forget Michael Haneke’s Funny Games. Then there is a French horror film titled Martyrs. All of the films mentioned in this paragraph actually have a point to their existential nihilism.

As always, I do not recommend watching a steady diet of this content.

What in the heck is "cinematic nihilism"?

I tried to look it up, and.... yeah, that didnt help. Couldnt understand a bloody word of whatever the heck screwball thing Google repeatedly tried to show me. The fact that it only tried to show me ONE thing over and over and over and over didnt help.

What in the heck is "cinematic nihilism"?

I tried to look it up, and.... yeah, that didnt help. Couldnt understand a bloody word of whatever the heck screwball thing Google repeatedly tried to show me. The fact that it only tried to show me ONE thing over and over and over and over didnt help.

Basically, these are movies with the philosophy of “we’re all screwed and moral redemption is as big of a myth as morality itself is”.

I enjoyed Dogtooth (Κυνόδοντας, greek movie). Rythm is slow. But I think it's nihilistic.
Also, Kubrick seems near nihilism (if not nihilistic?).
There's also a documentary called "In Praise of Nothing" with Iggy Pop's voice. Didn't watch it, I just know it exists.

All of Gaspar Noe's or Michael Haneke's work and at least some of Kubrick's definitely qualify, I'd add Lars VonTrier, Yorgos Lanthimos and Marco Ferreri to that list.

Els, if you enjoyed Dogtooth, I recommend The Killing of the Sacred Deer by the same director, he developed into a very interesting and challenging artist.

Thanks, going to check it out!

Also see Les Valseuses (1974). They give "Going Places" as the english title, so maybe you'll find it under this name. It's a weird comedy-drama that I would put in nihilism or somewhere near.

Thank you Els, that's ahem, slang for testicles, right? I can watch it without subtitles so I think I'll be able to find it.

I think some of the Coen Brothers' work would also qualify, dark humour and all.

Last edited:
Thank you Els, that's ahem, slang for testicles, right? I can watch it without subtitles so I think I'll be able to find it.

I think some of the Coen Brothers' work would also qualify, dark humour and all.

Yes, there might be a lot of slang in the movie - and an older slang with things we don't use anymore in 46 years :D The movie is provocative and disturbs morals. I don't even know if it's a good movie to be honest lol. I'd say it's a kind of disturbing UFO.
In a bit of the same "mood", althrough different, there's Dikkenek. I don't know if it's nihilistic, but certainly against morals, dark humor, unpleasant stuffs, disturbing things, but not extremely serious either. I don't know if it enters nihilism, just mentionning it. I don't want to get too much out of the subject of the thread either.

I agree for the cohen brothers!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom