• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

chat-logs public visible

Shaddock

V.I.P Member
Hello, I like this forum very much and this is only -my- opinion: I don´t get why every message in the chat is logged publically visible (you can see chat messages from 2017 in the chat archive).

this results in the fact that I don´t would feel comfortable if I would write anything in the chat, because for me its a difference if something is written as a message in the main forum or small-talk like in the chat.

In my opinion the chat messages should only be visible for the participants while chatting and not for people who don´t even chat or who were not part of the discussion. every other chat I know does it so.

I don´t want that people who I never talked to, can see my chat messages to other chat members. for me this feels like somebody is harken at the door and feels creepy or like big-brother.

one exception: the staff of course needs to read the chat logs for things like insult etc.

It also would be nice if chat-logs could be deleted (additionally to be invisible for all but staff-members) after staff-members readed them and not stored for all time.

only my opinion

Thanks for your input.

You know that it's possible to speak to another member
in a Private Chat which is not visible to other members,
right?

There are draw backs to that for some people since
being private it's not visible to Staff or anyone other than
the two people participating.

So if there's a problem, there's no Report Button.
It is possible to get Staff involved, if that's necessary.

General Chat Log provides background for anyone who
cares to peruse it. A new member can get acquainted
with people that way. Also it's a way to recall past
conversations.

Not everyone wants a conversation to drift away in the wind,
or be erased like a sand castle at the shore, by a wave. :)

You know that it's possible to speak to another member
in a Private Chat which is not visible to other members,
right?

thanks, thats a good point. if it does not distract people when I private chat them, this really is a good option. (and I can ask people if it is okay when I send them a private message)

nothing is really private except end-to-end encrypted chats like signal or others, but I have no problems if staff could read messages, because if people get to know each other better they always can chat somewhere else (like Signal for example). the forum is not concipated as a contact exchance, so thats ok.

So if there's a problem, there's no Report Button.
It is possible to get Staff involved, if that's necessary.

I understand.

Not everyone wants a conversation to drift away in the wind,
or be erased like a sand castle at the shore, by a wave. :)

in my opinion nothing is really erased or been put in trash, because the people who should hear the words, hear them and keep them in their minds. so it is still saved but not on a hard disk, but in peoples memories. thats the reason why I also have self-delete chats with friends (even they are encrypted).

best chat is real life talking, so there is no reason to save any data and noone would record or write a real conversation on paper, or? : P

but for everyone this feels different and thats absolutely okay. I get your points and thanks for explaining them to me.

thanks, thats a good point. if it does not distract people when I private chat them, this really is a good option. (and I can ask people if it is okay when I send them a private message)

nothing is really private except end-to-end encrypted chats like signal or others, but I have no problems if staff could read messages, because if people get to know each other better they always can chat somewhere else (like Signal for example). the forum is not concipated as a contact exchance, so thats ok.

I understand.

in my opinion nothing is really erased or been put in trash, because the people who should hear the words, hear them and keep them in their minds. so it is still saved but not on a hard disk, but in peoples memories. thats the reason why I also have self-delete chats with friends (even they are encrypted).

best chat is real life talking, so there is no reason to save any data and noone would record or write a real conversation on paper, or? : P

but for everyone this feels different and thats absolutely okay. I get your points and thanks for explaining them to me.
Can I give you an example I've just this minute read @tree's message to you and in that time I've completely forgotten it I've been like that since I was 36 I'm now 52 so if I was talking to you and I couldn't see what I'd \you'd written our conversation would be vv irritating \boring and one sided ^-^

sometimes for me it feels that my opinion is the best and I don´t get why others don´t think like me. sometimes its hard for me too see the world from other views than my own.

it helps me that you showed me your view and that makes me easier to put oneself in somebodys position, thanks!

when everyone is nice to each other, like in this forum, there is no danger for situations in which someone feels uncomfortable or bad. its nice when people learn from each other.

earlier in the past I thought that I am better in character than most other people (I think one reason is because of negative experiences with other) and I quietly despised other people for what they are and (how it feeled for me) that they are so different from me and that I could not see or get any connection to them.

but the more nice people I got in touch with, the more my view changed and the more I realized that I am not better than others and that there are many people which got a nice character and that I couldn´t see that before. and the more I felt more connected to other, so that I am not the only one who is like me.

I think I could not love anyone, because I felt like noone loves me and in the moment I realized there are people loving me, I realized that I can love other people too.

sry has less to do with this thread, but just came in to my mind : D

I am new here and really enjoy the public chat logs. It's a quick way to keep in touch and get to know people better, and it allows anyone to join in, which is lovely. Also it provides practice at writing short messages - instead of whole posts, for those of us with hypergraphia! ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom