• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Changing the name Aspergers

Darwin162

I would like to rename our condition to make it sound friendlier and more approachable. I would like to suggest "Professor Syndrome". I am deadly serious about this. I am sick of people judging me because they think I am wrong on the head. We are just more thorough than they are and like to try and teach them what we know.

I would like to rename our condition to make it sound friendlier and more approachable. I would like to suggest "Professor Syndrome". I am deadly serious about this. I am sick of people judging me because they think I am wrong on the head. We are just more thorough than they are and like to try and teach them what we know.

i assume/hope ur name suggestion hade nothing to do with the nickname for AS "little professor"

"Asperger called the children with these behaviors “little professors” because they could talk endlessly and in great detail about the subjects that had caught their interest. These little professors may demonstrate an amazing ability to recall dates, names, and events. One parent laughed about how her ten-year-old knew the scientific name of everyday things – from household sugar to the trees in the backyard. He would insist on discussing things using the scientific nomenclature."

http://www.yourlittleprofessor.com/

i assume/hope ur name suggestion hade nothing to do with the nickname for AS "little professor"

"Asperger called the children with these behaviors “little professors” because they could talk endlessly and in great detail about the subjects that had caught their interest. These little professors may demonstrate an amazing ability to recall dates, names, and events. One parent laughed about how her ten-year-old knew the scientific name of everyday things – from household sugar to the trees in the backyard. He would insist on discussing things using the scientific nomenclature."

http://www.yourlittleprofessor.com/
Why do you hope it didn't? The idea actually comes from the fact everyone at my work calls me professor because I'm constantly studying scientific subjects then relaying the info on to them whether they like it or not. They are aware of my differences and keep smiling as I most probably bore the pants off of them. I no longer want to be judged as "on the spectrum " so I will now use this terminology to describe my condition. I don't care what anyone else wants to do that's up to them. I am not Autistic I'm just more interestingly self educated.

i interpret your post like this: u want the AS diagnosis to be renamed to something friendlier to avoid peoples prejudice towards AS and see u as an individual insted of a diagnosis (they may not understand) , the resson for the reminder was that you suggesteding professor syndrom sounded to me like a coincidence.

The idea that we who have AS or similar diagnoses are like super into special interest (like little or adult professors on ouer subjekt) is as stereotype, not necessary negative but still we are all individuals/different.

if u call ur diagnosed "Professor Syndrome" thats gr8.

I dont want "Professor Syndrome" to become a general term because first it would make no difference secundly
it mey reinforces the idea that the AS diagnosis is given to people who are super into their special interests, that we are just one thing,.

And i don't even have a special interests the wey i see it.

*it wood ofc be better to call AS he next step in the evolution and NS are the ones left behinde ;) but maybe that another discussion.

New Threads

Top Bottom