• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Catatonia?

whale_bone

V.I.P Member
I read this on the wiki page for catatonia:
" A version known as "catatonia-like deterioration" occurs in 12-17% of autistic young adults.[10]:463 This form is made worse by antipsychotics. Unlike catatonic stupors, this deterioration happens very gradually. The only way to cure it is to keep the patient constantly active and the activities must have an end goal or they will not work. Stress must be reduced by not pressurising, keeping life predictable and by limiting choice as making choices is very stressful for catatonics"

Anyone have symptoms?
I doubt I reach the diagnostic threshold but I am either doing ridiculous stims and bouncing around... Or I'm sitting still as a stone. I chalked it up to mood (zombie-mode= depression, Tigger-mode= hypomanic elation.) but maybe there's something to it?

This is really interesting too: apparently catatonia is characterized by internal hyper-alertness, with outward rigidity; and patients respond well to sedatives (esp. Benzos)
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizotypy#Hyperarousal

--I strangely respond really well to sleeping pills. It cuts down the sensory over-stimulation, so when I take them I can finally calm down a bit and focus... My doctor says: "sleeping pills are for sleeping, not studying..."

BUT IT WORKS.

Maybe I'm not aspie after all... Maybe I'm a prodromal catatonic schizophrenic. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom