• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Carnival of Souls

AdamG

[ INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK ]
V.I.P Member
I just watched this last night. It is a 1962 low budget horror film with a lot of organ music. It was amazing.
The woman is very clearly autistic, and it is shown in a very respectful manner. The music is haunting, and sets the tone extremely well. The cinematography is beautiful and effective.
Both wondering if anyone else has seen it, and also recommending it highly if you can handle eerie suspense and very minor jump scares.

I posited at the beginning that the ending would be like Jacob's Ladder, and was not disappointed. I love being right :)

I just watched this last night. It is a 1962 low budget horror film with a lot of organ music. It was amazing.
The woman is very clearly autistic, and it is shown in a very respectful manner. The music is haunting, and sets the tone extremely well. The cinematography is beautiful and effective.
Both wondering if anyone else has seen it, and also recommending it highly if you can handle eerie suspense and very minor jump scares.

I posited at the beginning that the ending would be like Jacob's Ladder, and was not disappointed. I love being right :)
As far as I know, it's a cult classic. Though it didn't exactly make Candace Hillegoss a star either.

Still, in its time it was one creepy movie.

Last edited:
Black and white films can be really cool. They can create a genuine atmosphere that I rarely experience when watching colour films.

I really like the original Twilight Zone series. I have a few seasons on DVD. The atmosphere in most of the episodes is fantastic.

I really like them when my mood is getting moderately high and I can't sleep and start tidying or organising things. They are good company for that at 3am with a nice cup of tea :)

Just pop the DVD in and it's bliss for several hours :)

Oh yes, A classic. I first saw it when about 5-6. Frightened the heck out of me and my siblings. I watched it again a few years back and was amazed at how good it was for it's budget. Not sure the lead actress was autistic however. That had not occurred to me.

carnival-of-souls.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh yes, A classic. I first saw it when about 5-6. Frightened the heck out of me and my sibligs. I watched it again a few years back and was amazed at how good it was for it's budget. Not sure the lead actress was autistic however. That had not occurred to me.

View attachment 104081

Oh I have no idea about the actress. I was just thinking the character she played was a respectful portrayal of someone who seems very much to be autistic.

In fact, I find the movie to be more a character study than a horror film. Naturally, it was spooky and suspenseful, and it did succeed as horror. I found it far more interesting how the main character lived her life and how it was usually normal and very in control, though different, even from before the opening scene. And how others confused her, and vice versa.

The fact that it was eerie and moody and unreal accentuated that.

Oh I have no idea about the actress. I was just thinking the character she played was a respectful portrayal of someone who seems very much to be autistic.

In fact, I find the movie to be more a character study than a horror film. Naturally, it was spooky and suspenseful, and it did succeed as horror. I found it far more interesting how the main character lived her life and how it was usually normal and very in control, though different, even from before the opening scene. And how others confused her, and vice versa.

The fact that it was eerie and moody and unreal accentuated that.

I do follow what you are saying and could see some similarities. But I thought those attributes were the actresse's purposeful portrayal of a very confused and haunted personality. I think I would have to watch it again to clarify my mind about it. I don't want to give away any spoilers in case someone wants to watch it, but the 2nd church organ scene was especially strange! ;)

I do follow what you are saying and could see some similarities. But I thought those attributes were the actresse's purposeful portrayal of a very confused and haunted personality. I think I would have to watch it again to clarify my mind about it. I don't want to give away any spoilers in case someone wants to watch it, but the 2nd church organ scene was especially strange! ;)
It is possible that I'm projecting a bit, as I'm new to the idea for myself.
It seemed to me, in the opening scene, she was already uncomfortable and a bit overwhelmed, and I just connected everything else. I don't want to go into too many details, because spoilers. Perhaps I will watch it again and be more objective.

New Threads

Top Bottom